ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To buy a Graphic or not...  (Read 7817 times)

Dietrich Sider

Re: To buy a Graphic or not...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 11:33:05 AM »

Dietrich Sider

Alan Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 01:41:01 PM »

AlienC wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 08:50

Over in the LAB, we did a Graphic EQ shoot out. BINK has the details compiled somewhere.
The Behringer, although easy flame-bait, actually performed well. Don't try driving a long line with it was the only caveat.

Are you confusing the Behringer with another review? This is the Behringer review I see:

This unit sounded dark or choppy to the feedback team. Faders are short and flimsy and the LEDs on the fader tips don't register RTA level like the Peavey. Wider filters kept this guy from excelling in single tone notching and they cut more sound power out of 'Death To 100' which shows 6dB of lost signal at 250Hz. The 500Hz filter was visibly off ISO center -- you can see it best in 'Frown' and 'Capital V.' Crummy CMRR performance at 1kHz suggests that the unit will not take well to radio interference. Peak indication doesn't give any prior warning. The good news is that the GEQ3102 is very quiet at idle.

-AlanH
When I think of a witty saying I will put it here. Please note that my sig space is for rent Smile
http://www.HamiltonSystems.us

Kaz

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 01:50:46 PM »

I think he was talking about the digital DSP8024...

But seriously guys, the shoot out is great but with the price of the digital gear dropping and with the multi purpose kit like the drive rack, DEQ1024, DEQ2496  you have to wonder where this will all end up...

I already have a PAA2 which shows me that I don't have any huge peaks or troughs that I can't fix with my O1V96. And with the lack of floor monitors, the risk of feedback is less.

I think if I am going to get something it looks like the BSS coz I want something that will be musical. You know what I mean? Having a digital desk even running at 96kHz means that the sounds is rather... well digital. I used to run an A&H GL2000 desk and I would have to say that that was more musical than my O1V and my now O1V96.

But the reason I have this setup is coz at the end of the day I can load the whole thing into a back of a wagon/estate and drive home!

So what do you guys think?

Which Graphic would add not just EQ but something back into the mix? Am I making sense here? Or should I just go with some valve compressors etc Wink

Cheers,

Kaz

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 10:38:02 AM »

Quote:

Which Graphic would add not just EQ but something back into the mix? Am I making sense here? Or should I just go with some valve compressors etc Wink

Okay, this is a new question and one that doesn't get asked much. You are looking to get something extra out of your GEQ -- you want it to affect your overall soundfeel experience.

I have no experience trying to warm up the sound of an 01V96 with a graphic EQ.

But if I had to guess, I would say that you would be happy with many of the better-performing GEQs in the world. Because you are interested in light weight, you might look into the Audient ASP231 which sounded amazingly clean at 6.2 kg in 3 rack spaces. Or try the Rane DEQ60 which comes in two sizes or the XTA GQ600 which was a little heavier but had headroom for days. There are other fine performers to choose from as well, but I can't tell you which will make your 01v96 sound the way you want.

On the valve side of things, you might want to consider locating and purchasing a Peavey Tube Sweetener. This limited production device is no longer manufactured but the few that are out there seem to get resold frequently due to the subtle effect they make. Even though the average Joe doesn't seem to understand subtle, you sound like the perfect candidate for the Tube Sweetener's fine nuances. It doesn't compress, it just runs the signal through some tubes and slightly overdrives them. In fact, I'd try one of these things first before getting a graphic EQ, since none of the GEQs I can think of match your colorization needs. Or is that colourisation in your book...

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 01:14:37 PM »

Kaz wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 10:50

Which Graphic would add not just EQ but something back into the mix?

If an EQ was putting "something back into the mix," I'd call it what it is -- an Alesis MEQ-230 -- and toss it into the nearest dumpster.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Dave Bigelow

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 02:26:14 PM »

LMAO, see my post about the club I work for buying a MEQ230 in the "balanced cables" thread. I'm sure you'll like what I did with it.

Anyway, If you don't really need it I don't see why you'd have to have it but I totally agree with what others and yourself have said about not buying something cheap and then regretting it and having to fork out more money for what you really should have gotten. I'd look into the driverack 260 too, I use the DRPA and it worked wonders on the rig I installed it on.

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 01:59:00 AM »

If I were in your situation I would use a "non-coloring" equalizer (or a system dsp like dr260). This way the system would be clean and reproduce what you put in it. Any coloring can be made with specials, for example a tube compressor on the main inserts.

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.