ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Guy! Carvin Opinions?  (Read 12049 times)

mikeyb

Re: New Guy! Carvin Opinions?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »

Don't let the snobs grind you down on Carvin's stuff.

I currently have A&H/JBL/Bag End/EAW/ stuff but it's all because the money was there. I ran Carvin top boxes (TR-1502) for 5 yrs. in a regional alternative rock band and they performed great as long as they were not underpowered or clipped. They had clarity that beat alot of JBL stuff and the theme here is "if it ain't broke...." Carvin service was great when I lost a crossover on one of the boxes and we ran one of their DCM1000 amps for our monitors extremely hard with no problems. Did people diss our Carvin stuff? Sure. But we were able to do probably 60% more gigs than most groups on our "level" because we had a complete system and knew how to get the most out of it.

In answer to your question about comparison, I think they do compare favorably with Peavey and probably exceed on several levels. I would put them way above the Nady's , Behringer, etc.
I would prefer a Mackie board over a Carvin just because of routing features, but like the sound of the Carvin better. Mackies Active speakers are great for what they are intended to do and I haven't heard Carvins active speakers yet, so I can't compare.

$.02 worth
MikeyB

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 01:34:58 PM »

Calling someone who prefers Peavey over Carvin a "snob" is just about the funniest thing I ever heard of!  Laughing

You know, being able to hear the difference between a real PA and one held together with spit & glue does not make you a snob.

If you have a rig that works on your gig, all is good. Making a sidways move & buying something that is at best a marginal improvement is not something I would suggest.

The "standard" $250.00 Carvin boxes and similar Peavey TLS would probably qualify as a sidways move.

If you live in an area without a local music store, I'd always try to support them by buying locally instead of mail order.

The newest Peavey SP2 (not even on the web site yet!) has the new Q-horn. The SP2 is about $400, and is a better cabinet. (bigger & heavier too) In my mind, the Peavey SP2 is "the standard by which all cheap PA cabinets are matched" They have been a band-for-the-buck box for decades.

For a nice, inexpensive, good sounding birch cabinet, look at Yorkville Elite with the birch option, or Community XLTE. Figure on $1,500 a pair or so for these. Plan on at least $1K for an amp (or amps) to drive them too.

If your audience digs ya, spend the money buying them drinks. Public relations money is always well spent!   Cool

http://www.buyershaven.com/images/Hearing/102-104-7002.jpg
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Rainsong

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 03:26:21 PM »

So Dave...

Am I to assume by your post that in your humble opinion, Peavey is a step up from Carvin and Carvin PA's are held together with spit and glue?  Somebody on a different forum said I should replace my Carvin PA620, 200 wat mixer with a PV XR684f.  Seems to me THAT would be a sideways move since the Peavey is still only 2oo watts X2,  But I don't need the 2nd channel since I have a Carvin DCM150 to run my monitors.

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 06:35:37 PM »

Rainsong wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 14:26

So Dave...

Am I to assume by your post that in your humble opinion, Peavey is a step up from Carvin and Carvin PA's are held together with spit and glue?  Somebody on a different forum said I should replace my Carvin PA620, 200 wat mixer with a PV XR684f.  Seems to me THAT would be a sideways move since the Peavey is still only 2oo watts X2,  But I don't need the 2nd channel since I have a Carvin DCM150 to run my monitors.

What I meant was that the low end of the Peavey & Carvin lines are about the same. The Peavey SP is better.

The "spit & glue" comment was not aimed at any gear in particular.

You are right about the mixers. It is a move sideways.

Again, if what you have works, don't be so quick to spend your money on what you already have, but newer.

Save up for some Nexo PS 8's and amaze everyone at how great you sound with the tiny speakers nobody ever heard of.

BTW...My opinions are really not so humble  Cool
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Henry Denman

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 06:54:22 PM »

AnotherDave wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 15:35

BTW...My opinions are really not so humble  Cool

Funny Dave...VERY Funny!      Laughing

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 10:12:52 AM »

[quote title=AnotherDave wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 18:35]
Rainsong wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 14:26

So Dave...

Save up for some Nexo PS 8's and amaze everyone at how great you sound with the tiny speakers nobody ever heard of.

in my little town, thats what my EAW FR129zs are for ....

StuartP Confused
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Rainsong

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 12:46:18 PM »

EAW's... aren't those the ones that are about $600 a pop, for 10"?

breese

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 02:38:18 PM »

I'm not sure what those cost(EAW, etc.), there are lots of things that go into the cost of a pa speaker.

You have the components which vary in quality and cost and sound.

You have crossovers, which vary in complexity, the more complex the more expensive the crossover will be.

Bi-Amp/Passive switchablity is a cost factor, even if it is minimal.

Box features such as fly points, handels, etc will add to the cost of a speaker.

Box materials, MDF is cheap, birch plywood is more costly.

Customer support, if I'm paying a grand per box I expect some sort of tech support and a warrenty.

Carvin claims to cut the middleman by selling factory direct, wether or not this is true is to be determinded by the individual (I've never compared a Carvin box to something else, so I don't know if the cut quality corners or actaully cut the middleman). So, there's the cost of the various product distribution networks.

You also have manufacturing methods which will influence the end cost.

Don't forget profit margin and brand recognition cost(if any).

Once you start comparing speakers keep this in mind. Features are part of the price. If you want more features, the price goes up.

The large concert PA company will need features you probably don't care about and have probably not even considered, that is why their speakers will cost a lot more, but at the same time, they are probably going to get better components with those other features.

These variences in cost can be found in many itmes, not just PA speakers, but also mixers, crossovers, speaker controller boxes. etc.

I hope you and others here find this helpful.
breese

Roadrage

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 04:31:28 PM »

I think that Carvin is a fine name for smaller clubs, I think that the sound guy just isnt very good.

Mike McNany

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 05:07:32 PM »

Carvin is in direct competition with Peavey, trying to service the lowest beginning operators with adaquate decent gear while providing several steps to move up within the brand. That said, I'll take Peavey every time in the head to head contest. Peavey support can be found easily, everywhere.

The Carvin 620 is a nice starter PA-in-a-lunchbox. I used to recommend the Yamaha versions to people but. Like it or not, the new Behringer version kicks their butts dollar for dollar, feature for feature. 250 watts per channel stereo, 8 inputs, all for $300 US.

Increasing power, even if you don't always use it, results in a cleaner sound at the same levels you are used to. the goal is to match the speaker's program power but a little more doesn'y hurt. Program power is most common 2 times the continuous rating. Right now you are supplying 100 watts per speaker and the load is a 4 ohm one on the amp. If 180 watts is the marked "RMS" speaker rating, that is likely the continuos rating. So they could easily take 360 watts program. THAT's the output, per channel at 8 ohms, of most power amps with the model number that have 1400 in them! (350 at 8, 500 at 4, 700 at 2 and 1400 watts bridged mono at 4 ohms).

I recommend you borrow or rent a Mackie 808M (dual amp) or 808S (stereo) to power your speakers for a gig. I can't believe that I'm actually recommending a Mackie but one should be easy to find ;>). You'll be pleasantly surprised by your same speakers with proper power. THEN look at other brands and compare the features, power, and such. There are several desk style units with REAL faders (Yamaha, Soundcraft, Peavey, Yorkville, even Samson) and THOSE are real handy when self mixing on stage. A LOT easier to make smaller adjustments on the fly with a long throw fader than a small rotary knob ;>).

You also say you don't need another power amp. BUT wouldn't it be nicer to have THAT built in to the same box vs. taking extra cables and a second power amp? Figure selling the small power amp and the 620 would about pay for another stronger powered mixer.

Boomerweps
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 15 queries.