ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundtech amps - opinions  (Read 3147 times)

Ultimate_fish

Soundtech amps - opinions
« on: April 23, 2004, 07:06:52 AM »

Anyone have any opinions on Soundtech amps? On a small budget I'm trying to find something that'll give me 500watts per side into 8ohms for mids on a small tri-amp setup.

At the moment it's between a new Behringer 2500 (Hmmmm) or a re-conditioned Soundtech PL1204RX, which is actually a four channel affair but pairs will bridge to give the power I'm after.

I'm thinking that the multichannel Soundtech gives a bit more flexibility and the Behringer is..... well, a behringer. Rolling Eyes

Fred Garrett

Re: Soundtech amps - opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 08:56:25 AM »

My first partner and I started out woth a SoundTech 24X4 console.  In general I think the SoundTech has about the same sound quality as Berhinger (sp?) without Berhinger's reliability.  That said, the SoundTech board got us through our first few years, and the low EQ point on each channel was actually quite musical (my favorite part of that board).  

In my humble opinion, if you are looking for a bottom end amp, you would be better off looking for a used Crown or Crest.  Even if the stated watts aren't there, I think you will be surprised how strong those 2 companies are on bottom end.  If you have to make a choice between a crown and a crest on bottom end, I would choose Crown (I own a Crest 9001, and my current partner has a Crown 5000, and in our limited trials, the Crown sounded better on bottom end).

HTH

Tim Padrick

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 07:35:13 PM »

Look on eBay for Crown K2s.  They seem to be going pretty cheap.

Ultimate_fish

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 06:11:45 AM »

Hmmm, I think you overestimate my budget and what I might mean by 'cheap'.... ANyhows there are none around in the UK at the moment.

Thanks for the thoughts on soundtech though, I appreciate the insight from folks who've used their gear. I took the time to take the lid off my mate's PS802 and it seems quite tidy in there, but that's one of their more expensive offerings.

As it happens I've just managed to get hold of toa P-1090D that was so cheap I had to take it. A touch underpowered as it's rated the same as the speakers I'm driving, but then again it's only going to be handling the mid do hopefully I won't end up cooking any coils  Confused

If anyone has any dire warnings about Toa amps then I guess I'm interested, but seriously this thing was sooo cheap I couldn't go wrong.... Famous last words there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.