ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What amp are you using to power your LABhorn?  (Read 22786 times)

Randy Smith

What amp are you using to power your LABhorn?
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:51:51 PM »

I tried searching but no luck.

I am courious as to what amp people are using, and if you find one works better than others.

I am sure there are different oppions, but I want to hear them all and why that is your favorite.

Not "Crown xxxxx because it's Crown" or "QSC xxxxx becasuse its QSC".
but like "Crown xxxx because it gives more thump or cleaner etc." this type of post is what I am after --please.

Thanks
Randy

PS. It would also be fun to hear what everyone is using for tops and how many tops and subs you use.

Brad Litz

Re: What amp are you using to power your LABhorn?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 12:38:00 AM »

Go to the LAB archives and read about the recent amp shootout. It was nearly impossible to hear any difference between amps unless they intentionally made the set up abusive to the amps - like very low load impedance or overdriving them. Just buy the power, reliability, and features you need at a price point you can afford.
Don't believe BS about damping factor. Read this:
http://www.trueaudio.com/post_013.htm
Brad Litz

danfowler

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 12:41:27 AM »

Hi Randy,

I built my LABs as a "C" rig to go under Mackie 1232's. The reality is one LAB sub will keep up with 2-1232's. This rig has become my favorite for quick strike/setup and having tons of headroom. Doesn't hurt there's a Midas 320 in the mix position.

As for the amps, I started with QSC PLX 3002's bridged mono, 1 per LAB cabinet (3000 watts per box,assumed 4 ohm load). This works really well as there seems to be limitless juice at the amp and the transients are really quick (high cone acceleration, good gamma factor) as the audiophiles would say. This box has some impedance swings and these amps handle them with ease.

There is a Dbx 260 riding herd at the front of all this. Use a good DSP if you power up this strongly. The amp has the 30 hz filter engaged as well as the clip preventer thingie (dip switch). Delay the tops 10 ms. Use 10 ga. wire between the amp and cab. Keep the wire 10' or shorter at this power level. 30 hurts! Yes, what a feeling of power, making buildings rattle at will with the 5 string bass.

In the mood for change (as usual for me) I switched these out for Crown Macro VZ-3600's one night. After getting the sensitivities matched on the front end I fired them up for a A-B test. W R O N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 12's bottomed out! No where near the cone control. They did sound a bit more aggressive (that VZ growl) but at high volume levels with kick drum impulses in the mix, they didn't keep the cones happy. This was with the VZ's run mono as well.

Interesting to note, bass guitar and CD's did not bottom them out. Only when I added kick did they protest and loose it. I think 5k's run stereo would be better suited for the application, but since this is a "C" rig and $$$$ matters, I can buy 2 PLX's for what I'd pay for ONE VZ-3600. I just had them sitting idle and wanted to try them that night.

As you may have guessed, the PLX's live happily in the amp rack now. Never more to roam or stray. Happy campers and only 22# each. My back loves it!

To each his own:
Your milage may vary,
Dan O

PowerSound

• http://www.powersound.be
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 07:00:15 AM »

Hello,

I'm using a QSC PLII 236 on 4 Labs (2 a side) with a DBX DriveRack PA as processing. Very clean sound, high transcient.

Putting the 236 sometimes in the clip, and no problems at all. I've also tested 2 QSC PLII 236 on 4 labs (1 a side) and it sounds "cleaner" and louder. I'll try some PLII 236 bridged on the labs...
Ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh, What does this button doooooooooooooooooooooooo ?????

Jon McDowell

• http://jbe-inc.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 02:43:14 PM »

Hi Randy. I use 2 Powerlight 4.0's to power 8 Labs. Plenty of low end even for Mushroomhead, Soil, Dope, Flaw, and Ill Nino, (sorry, didn't know how do a tilda). Did some testing at the shop a couple of months ago, 1 PL9.0 V.S. 2 PL4.0 V.S. 1 PL4.0 driving 4 Labs.

The results:
the PL9.0; was tighter and had more "throw" (also blew a breaker)
the 2 PL4.0's; not quite as loud or tight, but still very impressive
the single PL4.0; almost insignificant difference from 2 PL4.0's

Also tried 2 labs powered by 2 PL4.0's V.S. 4 labs by 1 PL4.0.
The 4 labs had way more output.

These boxes work great with as little as 1000W/box. If you need more volume, I would suggest more boxes before more power.

Just my $.02

Good luck.........Jon McDowell

Tamas Tako

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 04:20:57 AM »

I was usingthe LABs as follows:
1 Lab with 1 side of both CROWN MA5000 and LABgruppen fP6400. ca. the same results.
The QSC PL4.0 sounds better but less power- less SPL.
Now I will try the CREST V1500 in bridge for 1 lab becouse I have a lot from those amps and I didn't use them for a long time...

Cheers,
TT

Tom Herr

• http://www.tandjsound.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 04:27:10 PM »

I run 1 RMX2450 bridged per labhorn. Plenty of power, very clean and tight. I have pushed it to clipping with no issues.

I am seriously considering for weight, AC Power, and rack space changing to QSC's PL6 1 for 4 Labhorns. Seems to be a fairly decent match. Especially since the PL9 has been nixxed.

For tops I run Yorkville Elites EF508's one to one and I have been pretty happy with the results. I tried running them two to one but the Yorkies were just coasting along.

I would like to hear some Unity 2-15's with the Labhorns.

Tom Herr
T&J Sound
Custom Speakers

Al Limberg

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 01:49:17 AM »

Hey Tom  Cool
I mixed a show last week in a clun with a pair of my Labs and a pair of TD-1s (long and narrow room).  One on one it was a pretty good match.  The rig was running 3 PL3402s - 2 bridged for the Labs and one in stereo for the TD-1s.  Only real problem was keeping the TD-1s from 'walking' on top of the Labs - they are finished in the Linex paint and no feet - yikes!!  I haven't tried the Unity 115s yet but a friend ran the same rig in the same room with the only exception being a pair of Unitys but he wasn't real happy with his results.  (Then again he didn't delay the tops to the subs at all and I wasn't there so I am in no way lending credence to his report).  If I get a chance to run some Unitys and Smaart the rig I'll post my impressions.

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Tom Herr

• http://www.tandjsound.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 09:25:31 AM »

Hi Al
Been a while since we last talked.
I look forward to your review.

I wish I was in a position to buy some TD1's but I am making preparations to build a new shop. Just purchased a few acres out in the sticks and am trying to get some trees cleared out so I can start construction.

Between running a chain saw, cab orders, shows, sales, and the day job, time seems to be on the short side. And all incoming cash is going towards the new shop. I guess outgrowing my current shop is a good problem to have so I'm not complaining. But it is frustrating knowing that I need to upgrade parts of my system but have to throw all my finances at the new building. Building line arrays in a 30 X 40 shop is a bit tight. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't need a table saw, router, air-compressor, dust collector, sander, drill press, assemby table, clamps, etc.  

Tom
Tom Herr
T&J Sound
Custom Speakers

Alan Star

• http://namaska.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 04:18:41 AM »

Crown iTech 6000

I run 2 labhorns per channel in parallel.

It may be interesting to note that on the front display of the iTech the monitor feature shows a loading of 3 ohms per channel in the above configuration. Sometimes it will flash to 2 but mostly says 3... for what it's worth.

If I could afford another iTech I think i would get another and run one box per channel.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.