ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Sub for home use???  (Read 12026 times)

Mark Seaton

Re: LAB Sub for home use???
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 01:30:01 PM »

Brad Litz wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 11:46

The only issue might be that the horn mouth will be about 4 feet from the front wall. This will cause a cancellation from the front wall reflection at about 70 Hz.

This is very much a reality.  For this situation you would be better off building out the front wall and flush mounting the speakers creating an effective "baffle wall," even if only 1/2 the depth of the sub, which is a nice placement anyway.  The subs could form a functional stage.

Interestingly this is one problem I have tracked down to many "lack of puch" impressions about BassTech7s when used inside.  "Well yeah, you have a big notch/null at 75-80Hz!"

Brad Litz wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 11:46

A big TV on top flush with the horn mouth and some panels flanking it on each side would also prevent the reflection. Hopefully the TV can handle the sound pressure. I have never heard of a subwoofer badly vibrating a TV?

We put a B-DEAP-32 in a home theater with a 73" Mitsubishi rear projection set which vibrated violently at very high levels and specific frequencies.  A good bit of the vibrations were transmitted mechanically through the floor.  When you look at the costs, you are much better off with a less expensive projector in this situation if at all possible.  Your picture is better and more easily upgradable anyway.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

BullFire

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 01:45:38 PM »

If I build this setup, I want to make a baffle wall, so the horn is completely inside the wall.
I have a barco crt projector and I don't want the horn mouth behind the screen because of screen vibrations.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 05:14:49 AM »

If the ceiling height were 8', would the 70Hz cancellation not be desired? It would cancel the 70Hz mode of the ceiling height, which I'd think would be pretty bad in any domestic-sized room with a lab or two in it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.