ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Sub for home use???  (Read 12030 times)

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
Re: LAB Sub for home use???
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 12:03:03 AM »

i beleive it is an actual Mouth Extension he has added to extend the freq, down to 27 htz i think.  I may be wrong, but>>>
Timmahh
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

Brad Litz

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 02:24:24 AM »

Brad Litz

Brad Litz

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 02:33:14 AM »

Yep, they are modified as Timmahh says.
A comparison of predicted response:
index.php/fa/38/0/
Brad Litz

Brad Litz

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 02:50:38 AM »

I wanted to extend the response a bit so I needed a bigger mouth area and a longer horn. Aiming them into a corner will work too, but I wanted to eliminate the comb filtering problems caused by two low frequency sources. Also I need to x-over around 80 to 100 hz and I don't want to localize on the sub off center. I modeled my room in "Soundeasy" and the center location looked good.

Check this out:
http://www.falstad.com/interference/
Brad Litz

BullFire

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 08:12:10 PM »

Very nice Lab sub Brad Smile  I must say, you have done a really great woodwork . When do you think the horn's are finished, and in place in your homecinema?
If the Labhorn is a success for homecinema use, maybe I build one or two for may self.

Eric Wong!

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 12:14:20 AM »

That is awesome, thanks so much for the pics.  I may get started on mine as soon as tomorow but mine would be more for DJ/PA use.  The mouth extenders are awesome.  Infact that would be perfect in a house, cause the subs could double as speaker and a TV stand.  Wow.  

Oh yah, how do you think the Europly would stand up to a PA enviroment where it will be moved around.  

Brad Litz

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 01:22:31 AM »

Actually, I just finished assembly today and ran a few sine waves through them in my garage. They seem to work just fine. I'll try to get some measurements tomorrow, otherwise, it will have to wait for next weekend as I have a business trip this week. I should have them set up and playing music soon.
Brad Litz

Brad Litz

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 01:33:49 AM »

The Europly is half alder and half birch with various outer veneers, usually maple. It's expensive. It's quite strong and holds screws well. It is not as strong as the best baltic birch from old stands of birch trees. The maple on the outside helps it cut splinter free and the alder is softer then birch so you can drive screws into the edge and the plys don't split. It is a full 3/4 inch thick, most baltic birch is 18mm.
Brad Litz

BullFire

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 07:29:01 AM »

Brad I'm looking forward to see some pictures from your cinema when the Labhorn is installed.

Is it possible to build a mouth extension like this? I don't want my screen so high up on wall.
index.php/fa/75/0/

Brad Litz

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 12:46:43 PM »

The only issue might be that the horn mouth will be about 4 feet from the front wall. This will cause a cancellation from the front wall reflection at about 70 Hz.

Hang some MiniTraps to reduce the reflection. Keep them spaced off the wall and install some angled along the ceiling/wall corner like the web site shows.

A big TV on top flush with the horn mouth and some panels flanking it on each side would also prevent the reflection. Hopefully the TV can handle the sound pressure. I have never heard of a subwoofer badly vibrating a TV?

I'm using a front projector with an acoustically transparent screen that hangs partially in front of the horn mouth.

http://www.realtraps.com/index.htm
Brad Litz
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.