ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: securing truss  (Read 27333 times)

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Re: securing truss
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 09:54:02 AM »

If using steel to aluminum is wrong what is the right way to attach an all metal safety to truss? Is there another material for the wire?

--
TImoteus Ruotsalainen

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 10:48:20 AM »

Wrapping the truss with some type of protector (such as burlap) will greatly reduce the potential for abrasion.  If you use something rigid, such as a long truss condom, you can spread the load out over a larger area.  You want to avoid putting the entire weight of the truss on a small area, as that is what will cause problems.

Pete Schofield

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 05:00:27 PM »

I have a couple of comments regarding this thread.

1. Testing spansets by using them to pull cars is a: not satisfactory, and b: possibly subjecting them to shock loadings for which they are not designed and thereby rendering them useless and possibly very unsafe.

2. The picture posted in this thread is labelled incorrectly.
The bottom of the picture does indeed show a spanset 'choked' around the bottom cord of the truss. The top half however shows a spanset in a 'wrap' position around the top cord. This is done to make the truss more secure and stable, allowing more finite positional adjustments.

3. Anyone wishing to find out more about rigging or suspension within the live production industry should read the following two publications, which though not finite, provide an excellent basic knowledge base for rigging.

An Introduction to Rigging in the Entertainment Industry
Chris Higgs

Rigging for Entertainment: Regulations and Practice
Chris Higgs

both are available via amazon or from www.etbooks.co.uk

just remember, Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups, and rigging is not something to be taken lightly.
And for those of you in the UK, Working at Height Regulations come into force later this year.

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 05:15:28 PM »

When i first heard they were testing the spansets with cars a alarm bell went off in my head. That could damage the spansets to a point were they would fail (due to dynamic loading etc.) next time their used. As I stated earlier this is something that happened to my friend. I don't want to bug him about it any more.  But tell him what you guys have said.  The picture was just something off the net to demonstrate the way truss is attached to the rigging points. Basically wrapping a spanset around the truss and attaching the motor to that.

And to everyone reading this. Don't assume, think clearly. And as with everything, You build it,you get to try it first.

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

SamIam89

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 06:17:59 PM »

I believe the last two posts are in the wrong topic

Scott S.

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 01:01:20 PM »

First, the biggest problem that I see with the picture above is that the spanset is not connected to the truss at a PANEL POINT.  A panel point is the place on the truss where the larger connectors that run perpendicular to the main runners connect.  Any point should always be as close to the panel point as possible to prevent from bending the truss.

As far as books, there are no question 2 books that are the best.

"Arena Rigging" by Harry Donovan (available at http://www.riggingbooksandprograms.com)

and

"Stage Rigging" by Jay O. Glerum.

Scott

Joe Cughan

• http://kassel.ws
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 03:55:49 AM »

Harry Donovan and Jay O Glerum who scott s mentioned also do rigging seminars if any of you are interested in becoming certified by them.  You can find info at www.riggingseminars.com

Two of my coworkers took the course, and said it is excellent.

Also, I wanted to mention, that if you aren't 100% sure of what you're doing when you rig, you really shouldn't be doing it at all.  Hire a rigger.

Auburn Performing Arts Center
  House Sound Engineer
I.A.T.S.E. Local 15 Member
Freelance Live Sound Engineer
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.