ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose speakers  (Read 7416 times)

Kurt Rivers

Bose speakers
« on: April 21, 2004, 03:55:50 PM »

Has anybody used them? I don't see really any specs on their website. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. They seem pretty sweet but I don't think so if it's for any medium-large sized shows.

http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=AGPwk1sMxc1Ut1XbJk  UnbBBeQZ2LDyccXbBeO2fWBUHRehevEw2X!471287847?event=VIEW_STAT  IC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/musicians/solutions/index.jsp&lin  ksource=header_txt_solutions&pageName=/musicians/solutio ns/index.jsp

This baffles me

Quote:

With a single L1 loudspeaker for each musician, there's no need for monitors, PA speakers, mixing boards or backline amps.

Kurt Rivers

Re: Bose speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:34:27 PM »

oooo..Didn't know. Sorry.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 02:27:54 AM »

Mix Magazine Online did an article on the new Bose system. Contrary to what you might read on this forum the reviewer did find that it worked well for venues up to 400. He also stated that as he walked toward the system from the audience area that the sound and volume remained consistent even when he was directly in front of the speaker system. I have no personal experience with this system so it would be best to go hear it for yourself. I believe Bose offers a 90 day trial on this product.
I use the Bose 802/502 combination. I am very pleased with the performance of this system.
Robert L

Mix Online article
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_doctor_house/index.htm

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 05:37:10 AM »

quick math gave me that the demo band's PA cost somewhere around 15500 dollars and weighs about 234lb.

Now reading stuff like this scares me.
Bose's idea of humor

I like the idea of having the sound come from the area the player is. But the main problem today is the stage volume. Which Bose eliminates by removing stage amps. If you remove amps from a conventional system the result will probably get close. But i still believe this system is suited for the smaller bands that play pubs and coffee houses (just like Bose says on their website). While i haven't heard the system, i have a hard time imagining a rock band changing from a Marshall full stack to a PAS. The 'real' guitar players will know how to control their amps (not on 11 whole time).

They measured the following SPLs at one of their performance (Bose)

SONG AVG. LEVEL PEAK LEVEL
Ballad 102 121
Funk Instr. 102 121
Country 96 117
Elec. Blues 104 123

Bose's measurements

I think Bose is going to turn the industry around with this. IF it really works like the user are saying. I wonder if the bands will start to relize that lowering stage volume is the key to better sound.

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Re: Bose speakers/normal speakers
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 06:13:58 AM »

Could normal stage monitors be used for the spatial effect. Place a monitor behind every musician and route their instrument to that speaker (no instrument amps). wouldn't this achieve the same effect. Only exception is that the Bose PAS has speakers that have a 3db drop when distance doubles compared to 6db drop from normal speakers. Then FOH could be used (with delay speakers) to supplement the stage sound. Problem would still be with the LR nature of FOH speakers.  

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Tim Harrison

Re: Bose's idea of humour
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 10:03:51 AM »

Bose's idea of humor scares me too Twisted Evil

dawen

Re: Bose speakers/normal speakers
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 10:37:14 AM »

Timoteus Ruotsalainen wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 12:13

Only exception is that the Bose PAS has speakers that have a 3db drop when distance doubles compared to 6db drop from normal speakers.

Just like any line source, in the nearfield of the speaker, right? This is nothing exceptional, as far as I get it.

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 10:46:44 AM »

Quote:

The quick answer:
a) there is very little sound going up or down and some part of the L1 has to be at ear level or you have a problem.
b) the 3 dB per distance doubling fall off is only true in the nearfield, in the far field the sound drop swith 6 dB per distance doubling as with any conventional speaker. However, the definition of far-field versus near-field and all the in-between field is really complex, and I need a little more time to answer that in a useful way

http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=8206048934& f=1266055944&m=5076038535

I think the main difference these speakers have is that people are leaving their amps at home, which  = lower stage volume. Many of these guys are using pods and electronic drums. These guys benefit the most from a system of this kind. BUT i don't like the way they dis' us sound folks. Sure there are bottom feeders, and amatuers. Still they shouldn't have to tell musicians to screw sound engineers.

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Mike M

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »

Is "cliff-at-bose" high?
Where to start. Imagine the ungodly huge stage volume that will ensue when everyone is forced to here everything on stage whether they want to or not. Imagine a vocalist type trying to deal with a speaker behind them and the feedback that will follow. Fortunately Bose "innovations" are so over priced that most people don't fall for it. Pubs and coffeehouses maybe, anywhere you might use a small vocal PA and not need a full system with a soundman, even then, I smell trouble. I can't wait 'till I encounter a band with one member who has fallen for this and decides he wants to run his vocal mic through his PAS with his guitar and send one signal to the PA. Happy happy, joy joy. Laughing

Mike
Less is more.

Mike M

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 09:44:21 PM »

Timoteus Ruotsalainen wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 08:46

I think the main difference these speakers have is that people are leaving their amps at home, which  = lower stage volume. Many of these guys are using pods and electronic drums. These guys benefit the most from a system of this kind. BUT i don't like the way they dis' us sound folks. Sure there are bottom feeders, and amatuers. Still they shouldn't have to tell musicians to screw sound engineers.

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

I agree about the anti soundman vibe going on with those people. That doesn't help anyone.
Bose is suggesting that each musician have their own PAS. So instead of the out of control guitar player torturing only those unfortunate enough to be directly in front of his amp, he'll be torturing everyone in the room. 75% of the musicians working at the 400 seat or less level don't have the self control or awareness to realize where they are supposed to be in the mix, so since Bose PAS is essentially promoting that bands mix themselves , it will rarely be a successful endeavor.

Mike
Less is more.

Andy Zimmerman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 09:54:18 PM »

index.php/fa/28/0/

I think Bose probably has a decent reputation among audiophiles, but I hope that they don't honestly believe all of this hype about their new product. They are missing a few key areas of concern, IMO. One is that musician's rarely play well together when it comes to stage volume. What happens when the guitarist decides to crank his PAS up to "11" when the poor keyboardist is still at "5"? And, as much as they would like to be independent of the poor, untalented soundperson, someone has to sit in the audience and keep tabs on everybody. Lastly, is there any difference between cluttering up the mix through the board vs. cluttering up the mix via another speaker onstage? I don't think so.

Mike M

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 09:58:41 PM »

I'm told PAS goes to "12". Is this a new era for Spinal Tap?

Edit>>>I just actually looked at that "Ad". Haha!
Less is more.

Dave Rickard

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 01:19:22 AM »

AndyZ wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 02:54

I think Bose probably has a decent reputation among audiophiles, but I hope that they don't honestly believe all of this hype about their new product.

Actually, they don't enjoy a great reputation among audiophiles either.

daver
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Nick S.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 09:11:55 AM »

Yeah - at one of the venues I work at someone several years ago fell for the "bose effect" - "they're advertised so much it must be good, and besides - it's a BOSE!"

I'm now stuck with a god awful Bose sound system, rubbish for any sort of live PA work, and only bearable for recordings....

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 05:49:26 PM »

Nick S. wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 06:11

Yeah - at one of the venues I work at someone several years ago fell for the "bose effect" - "they're advertised so much it must be good, and besides - it's a BOSE!"

Oh, I don't think this effect is limited to Bose -- I can think of a certain club in NYC that advertises their Meyer PA system.  It's the worst fucking thing you can possibly imagine.  I'm really surprised Meyer doesn't tell 'em to stop.

=-=a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Beefcake

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 06:11:36 PM »

I think that BOSE speakers are exelent (Shocked) for home theators/backround music/ect. I do not think they would be good live sound speakers. I have not ever used them, but i just think that they would be rubbish.

I will admit though, i would like to use these monitors/mains to test. I just don't know how it would work??? Confused
Beefcake

Mike M

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 07:03:14 PM »

Ya, it might be interesting to try PAS in a large Club with mains and no wedges.
Less is more.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.