ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie and marketing  (Read 8806 times)

Steve Stallings

Re: Mackie and marketing
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 03:03:01 PM »

I personally could care less what Mackie advertise. Their 24x8 buss mixer (and 32x8) is an industry standard. I've had my 24x8 for 8 years and it is rock solid. I think the hype about their pre's is a bit over the top, but still, I use the pres for some tracking of cymbals and toms in my studio with quite acceptable results. We use a CFX20 in our church and I'm using a 1642VLZ for a system I'm building now. I've been very happy with Mackie products. People get so wrapped up in "brands" and fail to realize that all of this stuff is simply "tools". Still, the small format analog Mackie mixers are widely accepted in pro level use as sub mixers and such.

Hype? You want hype? Let's talk big boy toy mic pre's!

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 03:21:12 PM »

SteveE9C6 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 14:03

Their 24x8 buss mixer (and 32x8) is an industry standard.

What industry might that be?? Laughing
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 08:52:57 PM »

Another Dave wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 15:21

The SR24-4 is a staple item in the small church setting.  Sort of like a Big Mac combo, not great, but filling.

Phil

That's "newbiesque" to my friends.

Dietrich Sider

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 12:02:34 AM »

Another Dave wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 15:21

I've seen a lot of them in *cough* studios, if that's what you're getting at Dave. And a lot of 24/4s in small clubs.

Does this mean they're great, or just prove that the marketing that we started out talking about was highly effective?

Marketing is marketing. I'd like to think that people are like me and take it all in with a grain of salt, but I suspect I'm being too generous.
Dietrich Sider

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 05:19:20 AM »

My biggest gripe with Mackie marketing is calling a mixer you can plug 28 mics into a "32 channel".

Having 6 auxes, but only 4 knobs is a grey area to me. Not "lying", but not telling the whole truth either.

A mixer you can plug 28 mics into that one guy can carry to a gig under his arm is a very useful tool.

I saw a Ska band's rider that said "Mackie 1604 or better". They carried their own M88's, RE-20's, and MD409's around too. I figure that having good mics makes for less of a need for EQ.

I'd be willing to bet that a major portion of all the audio you hear on TV passes through a Mackie somewhere along the way.

I enjoy the creativity in their print ads. The recent tough business decisions they had to make kind of kills the "downhome" corporate image they were trying to project.

The layout of the 8 bus is kind of bizzare. I don't have a degree in marketing, but I bet "kind of bizzare" would not make good ad copy. Call it a gut feeling.

Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 04:14:35 PM »

Another Dave wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 02:19

My biggest gripe with Mackie marketing is calling a mixer you can plug 28 mics into a "32 channel".

Two words: Midas Venice.

Quote:

I saw a Ska band's rider that said "Mackie 1604 or better". They carried their own M88's, RE-20's, and MD409's around too. I figure that having good mics makes for less of a need for EQ.

Good mics, sure -- how about good SOURCES?

Quote:

The layout of the 8 bus is kind of bizzare. I don't have a degree in marketing, but I bet "kind of bizzare" would not make good ad copy. Call it a gut feeling.

It was also designed for project studios.  The fact that it had a lot of channels and was cheap made it popular for live use, mainly because there was nothing else near it in price range at the time.

--a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Mike Chapin

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2004, 05:27:27 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 21:14

I'm not sure of your point. The Venice 320 can accept only 28 mics as well. Then again, that may be your point.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 06:03:47 PM »

Bullum wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 14:27

Andy Peters wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 21:14

I'm not sure of your point. The Venice 320 can accept only 28 mics as well. Then again, that may be your point.

That's exactly my point.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2004, 06:20:18 PM »

Another Dave wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 04:19

Having 6 auxes, but only 4 knobs is a grey area to me. Not "lying", but not telling the whole truth either.

A mixer you can plug 28 mics into that one guy can carry to a gig under his arm is a very useful tool.

I'd be willing to bet that a major portion of all the audio you hear on TV passes through a Mackie somewhere along the way.

I enjoy the creativity in their print ads. The recent tough business decisions they had to make kind of kills the "downhome" corporate image they were trying to project.

I used to call their input inflation "Mackie Math". They were throwing such heavy dollars into advertising others had little choice but to follow suit. The Mackie 8-bus layout looked to me like a tricked up in-line recording console... perhaps bizarre was marketing it for Live and Recording use, but that worked well for them too.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.