ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie and marketing  (Read 8702 times)

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Mackie and marketing
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »

I was reading a Mackie advertisement and couldn't believe they would actually use such terms to market their product. "Use of passive element achieves bigger sound" this is on an ad for a active (studio monitor) speaker.I'm pretty sure that most speaker elements are in fact passive.

Next they advertise a 1604 VLZ PRO "Need a preamp? save 2000Euro -get a free mixer" "16 channel preamp with built in 'all-around' mixer" "XDR preamp is non sensitive to RF interference"

While i haven't seen these products I feel that the advertising complete bogus. No wonder musicians keep buying this stuff. And get this, the 1604 is MORE expensive in someplace's compared to a Mixwiz.

I seriously hope I don't have to buy anything from a company that is printing this kind of ads. And I'm not talking mackie specifically. The Finnish company who's ad this was had more of these "German jokes" in their advertisements

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Mackie and marketing... caveat emptor
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 03:23:30 PM »

Timoteus Ruotsalainen wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 10:15

I was reading a Mackie advertisement and couldn't believe they would actually use such terms to market their product. "Use of passive element achieves bigger sound" this is on an ad for a active (studio monitor) speaker.I'm pretty sure that most speaker elements are in fact passive.

Next they advertise a 1604 VLZ PRO "Need a preamp? save 2000Euro -get a free mixer" "16 channel preamp with built in 'all-around' mixer" "XDR preamp is non sensitive to RF interference"

While i haven't seen these products I feel that the advertising complete bogus. No wonder musicians keep buying this stuff. And get this, the 1604 is MORE expensive in someplace's compared to a Mixwiz.

I seriously hope I don't have to buy anything from a company that is printing this kind of ads. And I'm not talking mackie specifically. The Finnish company who's ad this was had more of these "German jokes" in their advertisements

--
Timoteus Ruotsalainen

Without getting into a deep philosophical debate about the value of advertising, Mackie was (IMO) the first to bring consumer style advertising to the US M.I. market. While it may turn off a few customers, Mackie quickly gained tens of millions worth of market share from established companies who were slow to react.

The reality is that many products in those segments are more similar than different. Advertisers now must yell louder and louder to be heard above the din created.

FWIW "XDR preamp is non sensitive to RF interference" is code for "we fixed the RF problems that plagued our early mixers". The "buy a preamp and get a free mixer" sounds a little like an ad campaign I did years ago, selling "SOTA mic preamps in groups of 8, 12, 16, etc with mixers attached...."

While no amount of advertising will make customers accept that more than 2 mic preamps in a common chassis, could ever be any good, adverting loud and often that you think so will get (some) customers to believe maybe your preamps are better than others. In fact the main difference is typically in the dollars spent on advertising.

JR  
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
Re: Mackie and marketing
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 04:43:54 PM »

Timoteus Ruotsalainen wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 08:15

"Use of passive element achieves bigger sound" this is on an ad for a active (studio monitor) speaker.I'm pretty sure that most speaker elements are in fact passive.

FWIW, they're referring to the passive radiator on the back of the cabinet under the power amp module, not the drivers on the front.

Cheers,
Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 06:07:42 PM »

I don't want to defend mackie in any way, but these examples were not that "bad", if you ask me.

if you, for example, look at tc-electronics folder, they have written like this:
"M3000 is the best sounding, most versatile and easiest to use professional reverb today and well into the future."

eh.. that seems even worse than that preamp-thing Smile

EVERY company describes their products as very good in their ads and commersials.. simple as that. if they wouldn't, they would not sell.. Sad
Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

yam4000vca Jim Gould

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 06:40:44 PM »

I do not really want to defend Mackie as I am very much not into bull-shit hype in any way and am more interested in the facts.
In this case referring to passive elements in a speaker is pretty accurate as they are referring to passive radiators in a subwoofer system. As there are not any voice coils on passive radiators I do get the drift of what they are talking about.
I can not speak directly to this product having not heard it but in this type of thing what they say can be true as to making a bigger sound.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 07:25:45 PM »

David-DLT wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 15:07

If you, for example, look at tc-electronics folder, they have written like this:
"M3000 is the best sounding, most versatile and easiest to use professional reverb today and well into the future."

Hey, you could change "tc electronics" to "Yamaha" and change "reverb" to "mixing console" and it's the same exact ad copy Smile

Of course, the Yamaha mixer has a Fisher-Price feel to it ...
-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Timoteus Ruotsalainen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 02:42:09 AM »

I wrote a long post and i disappeared when i right-clicked so I'll make it short and simple.

I don't have a problem with companies bragging themselfs. I just skip that part. BUT when a company advertises that I'm buying a mixer with X number of auxes and you can only use X minus Y of them at the same time (mackie 6 auxes only 4 usable at the same time) I consider that as bs'ing the customer. Kinda like saying you have a V6 motor but you can only use it as a V4. Ok not such a good example but you get the point

Big apology for Mackie about the passive radiator. That info is correct and i'm glad I got that resolved.

--
TImoteus Ruotsalainen

Dave Stevens

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 03:40:18 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 16:25

But the low end tc stuff has a Fisher-Price feel as well, except that is sounds good... and is way affordable.  The Yamaha stuff with the Fisher-Price feel sounds, well PlaySkool...

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 05:36:45 AM »

yes yamaha also writes similar texts in their advertisment.. every company does, that was my point Smile

Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 01:24:05 PM »

Dave wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 00:40

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 16:25

But the low end tc stuff has a Fisher-Price feel as well, except that is sounds good... and is way affordable.  The Yamaha stuff with the Fisher-Price feel sounds, well PlaySkool...

True.  I'll take back that comment about the  Fisher-Price "feel;" my brothers (both have kids) tell me that the Fisher-Price stuff holds up well to abuse.

--a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 17 queries.