ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX driverack PA processor vs. DBX 234xl  (Read 8021 times)

Vic Turner

• http://Detroit
DBX driverack PA processor vs. DBX 234xl
« on: April 20, 2004, 07:25:14 PM »

From what I gather the DBX234XL is a decent x over. Looking on line I seen the DBX driverack PA processor, it looks sweet with built in auto EQ, RTA, dual 28 band grafic EQ, feedback elimination, sub harminic synth, 2x3,4,4,or6 cross over, limiter on output, pre sets matching latest JBL speakers and Crown amp, w/ wizzard set up help. First off what the heck does all that stuff do? auto eq? sub harminic synth? wow. Is it worth the extra money?

Merlin

Re: DBX driverack PA processor vs. DBX 234xl
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 07:47:06 PM »

I think so.

Not least because there's a very helpful user forum at
http://www.driverack.com/drbbs/

It's a whole new world compared to the "old way", but of course there's a bit of a learning curve to go with it.

[but worth it, of course Cool ]
--
Merlin Zener
Piano, Synthesizer
Thailand.

Nathan Schwarzkopf

• http://NTSound.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 08:44:52 PM »

I have a 234 and it a good x over.  But in a couple of weeks I am stepping up to the PA.  I am a guy who still does it the old way eq,comp,xover.  actually i side chain the eq but from what I understand the PA is a thing of beauty.  To answer some q's.  the sub harmonic synth Is to add a little more bottom to electronic music.  I want to try it on band just to see what if anything happens.  the auto eq It sounds like it goes with there measurement mic,  I am on dial up right now so i didn't download the book(2.8meg).  Hope that helps  Peace and hair grease
AL K.

Vic Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 09:44:34 PM »

Merlin wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 19:47

I think so.

Not least because there's a very helpful user forum at
http://www.driverack.com/drbbs/

It's a whole new world compared to the "old way", but of course there's a bit of a learning curve to go with it.

[but worth it, of course Cool ]

Cup koon cup, I learned that when I visited Thailand. Thanks a lot!

Vic Turner

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

AL wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 20:44

I have a 234 and it a good x over.  But in a couple of weeks I am stepping up to the PA.  I am a guy who still does it the old way eq,comp,xover.  actually i side chain the eq but from what I understand the PA is a thing of beauty.  To answer some q's.  the sub harmonic synth Is to add a little more bottom to electronic music.  I want to try it on band just to see what if anything happens.  the auto eq It sounds like it goes with there measurement mic,  I am on dial up right now so i didn't download the book(2.8meg).  Hope that helps  Peace and hair grease
AL K.

I like that one can grow into it, it has compression too. The synth stuff which I'm not big on the techno stuff but I wonder if it's adjustable, or would help out if one was using lets say Behrenger subs?? I think your right on the auto EQ, what I hear that it dials any room to flat, then you can go from there cutting and boosting where you would see fit. It looks like a winner anyone else try it? We called our local GC they have one in stock, which so happens is running thier PA gear in the sound room if that says anything, it makes the JBL's and Behrengers sound good, well better. Peace to you too bro!

Fred Garrett

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 10:03:15 AM »

I have a Drive Rack PA.  I bought it because the digital crossovers allow you to run in stereo and have exactly the same settings on Left and Right.  I also like the time alignment feature.  If you are unfamiliar with it, it allows you to set a delay (in milliseconds) to compensate for front loaded and horn loaded drivers.  Basically if you have a 15" speaker that is front loaded and an 8" midrange that is horn loaded, then the Drive rack can delay the signal to the 15" so that the total acoustic wavefront comes out of the front of the box at the same time.  The other thing that is really cool, is that you can save your settings in multiple programs.  I have my rig, my friend has his rig.  We use the same top box (EV QRX-153).  I have 2 and he has 4.  We have different subs, but our largest combined system is 3 tops and 2 bottoms per side.  We calibrated the system with the drive rack, and then saved configurations for 3 tops/2 bottoms, 2 tops/2 bottoms, 2 tops/1 bottom, and 1 top 1 bottom.  What this means is that we can go to a room, pull out the number of boxes needed and then just bring up the settings for that rig and start EQ-ing from a crossover setup specifically dialed in for the cabinets currently in use.  THAT is cool!  

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 10:45:15 AM »

It CAN autoeq to flat but it has multiple curves to pick from (with flat being one of the leasxt desirable.)  You select the curve that matches what you think you want from the system.

Stuart P
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Dave Bigelow

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 01:58:37 PM »

I use the driverack PA and haven't had any problems with it except for a new guy thinking he knew how to set it up. (security cover fixed that)

Just be careful since if it loses power while the amps are on you could have a big problem. A little common sense when setting it up and you'll be fine.

Never used the sub synth since it's not needed for my application so I can't comment on that.

All in all if you don't mind having to do a litle reading to set it up you'll probably love it.

Mike Pyle

Move on up to the DR-260
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 04:59:16 PM »

Everybody who has one is happy they spent the extra $200 or so instead of getting the DRPA.

Much greater functionality, flexibility in routing, updatable firmware, computer GUI for control, longer delay for remote speaker usage, etc. You won't outgrow it as easily as the PA.

Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Nathan Schwarzkopf

• http://NTSound.com
Re: Move on up to the DR-260
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 05:43:26 PM »

after my post yesterday I did a little more digging on the driveracks and I also think I am going to go with the 260 mainly because of the cpu GUI and its up dateable
When you plug it in to smaart can you use smaart to control it?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 14 queries.