ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small System - Small Act - Changes or Adjustments?(long)  (Read 6289 times)

Rain Jaudon

Small System - Small Act - Changes or Adjustments?(long)
« on: April 20, 2004, 01:16:19 PM »

Hi All -
After a string of "rate my system" threads on the old property, I decided to wait a bit before posting this.

My Actual Question: (its repeated at the end)
I am not running any outboard Yorkville or EV processors(xovers).
Could it get noticeably sweeter by using one or should I leave a good thing alone?

Feel very solid on my mix n match system as it has performed solidly and consistently for me 3-6 nights a week for the past 3 years.(have been doing 250+ shows a year for over 10 years)

Those of you who don't know my current(soon to be ex) program:
I have acoustic guitar, 2 vocals, and a percussion set up (triggered kick, conga, hi-hat, mini timbales, woodblocks, cowbell, chimes, and hand percussion).
Shows are typical 1 hr to 4 hour, indoor, outdoor, poolside, boat dock, living room, convention hall.
Thursday it was a frat party for several hundred college kids in a bar in downtown Oxford, MS with a 4 piece trop rock band.
Friday night I played for the Senior Games in the Magnolia Ballroom at the Beau Rivage Resort (300-400 in attendance) (its the room George Strait plays when hes in town) and I was asked by the convention two rooms down to roll back the bass a bit.  haha!
Saturday it was an outdoor Napa Valley - Traveling Wine Tasting Festival in Ocean Springs, MS(a parking lot playing to visitors and festival goers as they walked around downtown), and Sunday I was back out at the Beau Rivage playing a convention for Puckett Machinery, outside on the special events deck overlooking the gulf.  About 100 folks across a large area for dinner and drinks.

What I am saying is each week the venues are different.

System is currently:
A pair of EV Sx200 tops - 12/horn.
A single Yorkville Elite es700p Sub- dual 10"s 700 watt power amp.
Mackie 808m - 8 channels - plenty for the duo, trio, stretches      the 4 pc.
Power Pod/Community wedge - active, bi-amped 12/horn wedge.

And thats IT!  I've put away all of my racks of EQs, comps, efx, over the years and have really found no complaints with this set up.  It takes one trip from the van to the stage.

The Yorkie sub doesn't really have a crossover in it, more like a low end attenuator(high end cut off).  Usually set between 100 and 110hz.

I am not running any outboard Yorkville or EV processors(xovers).
Could it get noticeably sweeter by using one or should I leave a good thing alone?

Thanks for any insight or comment,
Rain Jaudon
www.Rainontheinternet.com

Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Shane Ervin

Re: Small System - Small Act - Changes or Adjustments?(long)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 04:37:27 PM »

Hi Rain,

On a volunteer job, we convinced the owner of a mixed bag rig (Peavey amps, Peavey tops, Yamaha subs) to "make the jump" from a Peavey analog x-over to a dbx DRPA.

Even the non-audio types commented on how noticeable the improvement was.  "Noticeably sweeter?"  Pretty much, yeah, I'd say.

I've got a DSP in my own monitor rig, too (BSS MiniDrive).

Even if you don't go for it just now, you sound like the type of guy who would enjoy the experience all in all.  I'd put a date in your calendar to go have some fun with one of these DSP units some time down the road, if not today.
Shane

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 05:37:04 PM »

Thanks Shane.  Had considered the DRPA when it first came out.
Never was able to get my hands on one though.

At that time, the system was EV sx200 tops with Ev sb121a subs.
I have the EV xp200 active system controller too.  Just eventually found a deal of the century on the Yorkie active sub and stored the EV subs and controller.

For shows that do not require the bottom end of the Yorkie, I have been using a single Community Tandem 2212 cab.  Great little box!
Dual 12s and a horn in a 7 ply box.  one 12 fires down and is a sub, the rest looks like a 12/horn regular box.
Great for lower volume gigs too.

Anyhow, will check into a DRPA since you suggested it.

Thanks
Rain
Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Simon Coffin

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 07:37:18 AM »

Rain,

After spending many a Saturday afternoon lugging gear from the van into the venue, I appreciate your less is more approach.  I've taken enough Motrin for a sore back over the years to realize there is some wisdom there and started to ditch much of my gear a year ago and have been pleasantly surprised ever since.

While I agree that an active crossover makes a big difference, I use the Behringer Ultradrive myself as the Driverack PA didn't have the flexible routing I wanted, I wonder more about your speakers.  I've heard a bunch of EV sx200 speakers and I can't really say that I like their sound.  They are durable and sound pretty reasonable, but "sweet" is not a word I would use for them.  Speakers that do sound sweet IMHO, are the EV qrx-112 (12" and a 3") or the EAW JFX260.

Give them a listen and see what you think.
ciao
Simon

RobertOziemkowski

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 08:39:39 AM »

The DriveRack PA has a flaw that IMHO, negates its pluses.

A power loss can send a surge that might be fatal to your speakers.

This occurs ONLY on the DriveRack PA. A suggested precaution(DriveRack site) is to use a UPS. Or buy the better(and more expensive) 260.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.