ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lab Sub Right for me?  (Read 8240 times)

slain_moon

Lab Sub Right for me?
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:21:27 PM »

I run sound reinforcement for a few local bands and am looking to build some of my own enclosures. all the bands i work with rely of heavy bass repoduction. is a lab sub suitable for my needs? i would only be able to build and run 2 for lack of room in my trailer.

thanks in advance,

Anthony

Al Limberg

Re: Lab Sub Right for me?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »

They might be right for you if:

1. You have proper DSP to delay your top boxes and insert a steep (preferably 24db/octave or greater) high pass filter on the subs.
2.  Your top boxes are capable of solid performance to 80-90hz.
3.  You have adequate amplifier power (true for any sub really)
4.  You're willing to hump a pretty weighty and bulky box that will outperform anything else you can buy for probably double the cost or more.
5.  You are willing to build it right - Baltic birch, careful joinery, etc.

I think you'll find the same pride of ownership and performance that those of us already in the sawdust club already enjoy.

HTH,

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:44:01 AM »

I would again suggest that you check out the BDeap 32. Small and versatile in a variety of spaces.

John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

PowerSound

• http://www.powersound.be
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 01:31:58 PM »

What's the price of a BDEAP32 ?
Ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh, What does this button doooooooooooooooooooooooo ?????

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 12:18:48 PM »

the last time I got a price on the BDeap32 it was 2492, you shouldn't have a problem getting them for that. Negotiate and you might go lower. That being said the Bdeap32's are slightly different beasts than the LAB's, for one thing if you couple two of them together correctly, they will go lower than two LABs (IMHO). They should also take up less space in your truck (There footprint in raw area is smaller, they are a bit taller though). Both the labs and the BDeaps are very good subs. Look at the BDeap as more of Tom's LAB V.2 "Now Better For Smaller Rooms" sub. I personally would suggest you check out the BDeaps quite seriously, but of course thats up to you <g>.

Karl "I thought there was an earthquake, but it was just the sub's" P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Vic Turner

• http://Detroit
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 11:59:29 PM »

Noob here, so what exactly is going on here? Sorry for being uninformed but is this where you help out with loud speaker designs and things like that? Subs? How cool, can someone fill me in? Thanks

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:13:28 AM »

this forum just changed to a new version(this one) Motown, this particular part is for the LAB Subwoofer. all Lab (and Lab related) all the time.... there is a place to search the previous forum, if someone would list it, i seen it in one of the other posts.  when you find the old forum, READ READ READ< then look to for the Pix of the Labs built by Tako!!< JUST FREAKING BEAUTIFUL>>>>>> makes one want to just POO from excitement!! he did a great job. Then in your travels in your regeon of the world, look for a sound company useing just a pair, OR MORE, n take a listen!! the basic premise is a DYI sub, that has 2 12 inch speakers in each cab, and sounds better than 3 double 18 cabs. FROM ANY MANUFACTURE< sure some may only need 2 cabs of dual 18s to match up with the subs, BUT ONLY A FEW>   basically, these cabs, thump HARD LONG AND LEAN, all night, over n over, when driven by the proper set up and BE>
Take a listen, YOU WILL BE AMAZED!!!
Timmahh
this is not a pic of takos Labs, but still a very nice representation of them.
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

slain_moon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 11:39:08 PM »

well then we get down to that age old debate over cost. I cold build 2 labs for about half the cost of 1 boundary dependent external air path sub. so does the boundary dependent external air path sub warrant 4 times the cost?

John Chiara

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 02:52:37 PM »

slain_moon wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 04:39

well then we get down to that age old debate over cost. I cold build 2 labs for about half the cost of 1 boundary dependent external air path sub. so does the boundary dependent external air path sub warrant 4 times the cost?

Depends if you want to build speakers or buy them. I couldn't build the Lab subs if I wanted to so I wouldn't consider it. Plus...the BDeaps are much more versatile..IMO....and you get a warrenty. If you have the skills I would go for it. I would not; however, try it as a first woodworking project.

JOhn
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.