ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the MUD out, looking at crossovers  (Read 12261 times)

Vic Turner

• http://Detroit
Re: Getting the MUD out, looking at crossovers
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2004, 08:29:14 PM »

How much power should they get? And what about the Nady? Why is it bad? It's a power amp, so what makes them differet, what do I look for in an amp? Keep in mind .... super noob here, I need some educating!

Fred Garrett

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 12:00:31 AM »

Power amps sound different because the manufacturers use different components, and different designs (class "H", etc) in different amps.  Even among the same brand, different series of amps will sound different.  I have QSC "EX" series and "Power Light" series, and I can hear the difference between the two, especially on bottom end (I like the Power Lights better, but the Crests still sound better than that). Durability is another factor that separates amp manufacturers.  The big amp names (Crown, Crest, QSC) are the big names because they have both sonic quality and durability. After you get your rig dialed in and you get used to it, see if you can rent one of the big name amps for a weekend, and see if you can tell the difference.  I would rent a sub amp, because I personally hear the biggest difference in amps on subs, but that is just me.

HTH!

Vic Turner

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 06:19:56 PM »

If you've decided to replace youe Carvins(I would), get the plastic out NOW!!!

A friends band were using JBL TR 225s, IMO the worst box they EVER made. It took awhile, but I convinced them to try two of their Yam sm115IV wedges on top. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The wedges have pole cups and sound like the Yam top boxes. Best bang for the buck out there, especially at the closeout prices!

You might still find the top cabs(S115IV) at GC or MF, but, Shhhhh! mf has the sm115IV{don't buy them all, I want a couple)@199+! sm112IV @169.

The great part for you is that when you move up(EAWs or...), you can put these on the floor.

As far as your amp, Sub/Top on same amp is fine(@4ohms) if it supplies enough power! But Nady??????

Hey RobertO,
I've heard good things about the club series by Yam, I've been talking to the guys in the band we want to upgrade our 15's for sure. With a "little" bit more of a budget to work with could you or anyone recommend something that may be better? Does Yam make a good 3 way or something you could recommend? Lets say under $600.00 what would be some great brands and models?

[/quote]

Vic Turner

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 06:27:41 PM »

Square wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 00:00

Power amps sound different because the manufacturers use different components, and different designs (class "H", etc) in different amps.  Even among the same brand, different series of amps will sound different.  I have QSC "EX" series and "Power Light" series, and I can hear the difference between the two, especially on bottom end (I like the Power Lights better, but the Crests still sound better than that). Durability is another factor that separates amp manufacturers.  The big amp names (Crown, Crest, QSC) are the big names because they have both sonic quality and durability. After you get your rig dialed in and you get used to it, see if you can rent one of the big name amps for a weekend, and see if you can tell the difference.  I would rent a sub amp, because I personally hear the biggest difference in amps on subs, but that is just me.

HTH!

Thanks Square,

This is what I need, being in a band there's a lot of difference of opinion. All we have to go on is specs, so electronicly if the specs match lets say a Nady amp vs a QSC and the Nady is $900.00 cheaper we think, hey look we can save $900.00. But it obviously don't work that way. Good advice as far as renting a "good" power amp and seeing how it affects the sound, thanks again!

Al Limberg

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 01:36:28 AM »

Hi Karl,
Good advice but just a quick 'heads up' on the Yamaha cabs.  What they are calling a 2" driver is in fact a 1" Eminence with a 2" diaphragm diameter (most 1" drivers use a 1.75" diaphragm).  While I am a big Yammie fan, this little bit of marketing=speak is terribly misleading.

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2004, 01:51:59 AM »

Crap, I asked them specificly if this was the case and they assured me it wasn't. Oh well, thanks for the heads-up.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Vic Turner

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 09:23:19 PM »

Another silly question, is the Yamaha s115V equal to the s115IV's?

Mike McNany

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 01:21:41 PM »

Motown wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 21:23

Another silly question, is the Yamaha s115V equal to the s115IV's?

Not silly at all. I did a point by point comparision of the upgrades between the series 4 and 5. They look a LOT alike and should be able to be used together if that is part of your question. Is it worth swapping between the two as an upgrade, NO!

The series 5s have a little more power capacity (so a little more SPL if you buy bigger power amps, $$$$$), the 15 traps have a tiny bit more interior volume for better box tuning of the woofer (NOT the monitor shapes or the 12s), a slightly altered passive crossover that is supposedly smoother (haven't done a side by side comparision), the THE biggie, SPEAKONS inputs added. I still don't think they are bi-ampable but I'd have to check the online manual to verify (dial up, just as easy for you to do so).

You can add speakons to the IV EASILY since the input plate and crossover are separate. I did on my SM12IVs. Yamaha even uses spade lugs on the TS jacks so no soldering, no crimping need be done on the speakons!

Bottom line. NOT worth the extra $, IMHO. If buying new now, the IVs on closeout are half the price of the Vs.

If you are electronically inclined, do a search on this site for Yamaha S115IV modifications. Somebody added some absorber material for smoother mids and changed out a couple of the crossover components with better quality and speced items with some parts laying around the shop for a noticable improvement in the crossover region. He added speakons, too ;>)

weps

Vic Turner

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2004, 04:27:16 PM »

You the man Weps! Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.