ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crest?  (Read 11010 times)

Brent Handy

• http://www.projectdamagecontrol.com/ha_recording.htm
Crest and Peavey
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 05:34:51 PM »

I do not see why people have a thing about Peavey.  When it is used in it's intended market, it is why above the competition.  When it is used outside of it's market, it is found lacking, because of the name thing.

Had Hartley not purchased Crest, Crest would have been done.  Crest had poor management, huge debt, a bunch of marketing BS at shows about products that were in development that never came, etc.  Peavey does not operate Crest.  Crest is better, because Peavey, the largest, privately owned, financially stable manufacturer in the sound/MI business cleaned house and redirected the company.  

Crest and Peavey cannot be in the same markets always.  So Hartley has designed it so that where there can be no Peavey, he has Crest.  Where he cannot have Crest, there is Peavey.  Pretty smart.

It used to be that Crest speakers were designed by people at Peavey, or atleast Crest guys at Peavey.  The Peavey GPS amps (which supposedly did well at the shoot out) were partially designed by a former Crest designer.

Remember, there are only a handful of new-comers to the engineering side of the industry.  The rest are guys that make the rounds from Panasonic to Mackie, from Crest to QSC, from JBL to Peavey, etc, etc.My point is this.  Unless you have an unlimited budget, you have to take what works, regaurdless of the name.  If it does the job and lasts, then it is a good investment.

I would put (and have) Peavey QW cabs against anything in their price-range and smoke them.

david423

Re: Crest?
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 07:04:59 PM »

I heard from a guy that i trusted to know more about brands than i do. But he also told me about this site which i absolutely love. And since i have started asking my questions here instead of him, i have found him to be very much in his own opinion and not of the professional opinion of people that know. So from now on, i just learn here and ask my questions here and then go and tell him what you guys say.

Mick_LoMauro

Re: Crest?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 10:19:09 AM »

As far as consoles are concerned we may be the quiet underdog at the moment.
We still build consoles the way we always have, by hand.
Our legacy includes Kelsey, Gamble, Century consoles, X series, X-rack, and now the Hp-Eight.
our consoles get Spec'ed by some of the most prestigious designers in the world into some of the most demanding invironments.
Our service guys have encountered the oddest malities in consoles.
One very famous Circus had a tiger relieve itself on is monitor console. It still made it to the end of the show.
We Repaired and cleaned it (outside of course)
We have removed salt crust from other boards that live at sea.
So while we may not be touring with your favorite band now,
we are in places that others may not want to go.
The bottom line is we make the best gear we can and we put the best people behind it.

As for the Peavey thing, this is what Hartley had to say about it

http://www.prosoundweb.com/industrybiz/features/hart/hart.sh tml

Crest Audio
Crest Performance

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Crest Anecdotes
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 11:22:10 AM »

Here are some Crest opinions/observations of mine.

As far as poweramps, Crest is on of the "Big 3", the other two being Crown & QSC. I occasionaly use the lower priced CA9 to drive some LA215 monitors (full range) with very good results.

In consoles, Crest is in the highly competitive middle-of-the-road. The X-racks are top of the line rack mount mixers. In my opinion, the XRM is one of the most ingenious things ever conceived/designed/built in small mixers. A dream come true for someone who wants to do in-ear monitors on a budget. I just hope it's not too far ahead of it's time.

I recently did an opener-for-the-opener gig at the local arena with an Electrotec rig, and the support monitor console was a Crest LMX. The LMX is a workhorse console used by many regional providers. Just for reference, the headliner was using a Midas H3000 for monitors and a Paragon at FOH. Support FOH cosole was a Midas XL3, so the Crest was in good company.

I also attended a show where they brought in a V-12 because the installations regular console (a Soundcraft Series 5) was deemed unacceptable.

I hear they make some nice MI type speaker boxes too. Some use the same "Q horn" that Charlie Huges designed while he was at Peavey. PSW had a chat with Charlie a while back. Check it out here:  http://www.prosoundweb.com/chat_psw/transcripts/charliehughe strans.shtml

I really thing that the guy calling Crest "really crappy stuff" needs to get his head out of his ass. That's just my opinion.

I hope this helps give some perspective to the subject.

Dave "someday, I want to tell someone that a Series 5 is unacceptable" Dermont
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.