ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aural exciter for monitors  (Read 6071 times)

Rade Divolis

Aural exciter for monitors
« on: April 16, 2004, 09:38:11 AM »

Hi!!

How does the idea of using Aural exciter(SPL Virtualizer)inserted in the main vocal channel in the monitor world sound to you? I thing it'll bring his/her vocal more upfront without the increase in level but I'm not sure if this will cause any feedback problems.I don't own an Aural exciter but I'm prepared to buy one if this idea is acceptable.
Anyone tried this already?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Rade

Mike Lefty Deline

Re: Aural exciter for monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 10:07:40 AM »

Hi,
This might be more of a question to chew on in the Lounge.
As for an answer to your question, would not be considered in the "Pro Live Audio" world.
To go a bit further, even though these type of units are marketed for live use, they are really best suited for recording land.

Mike

Don Boomer

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 10:49:25 AM »

From time to time I do it but with a BBE unit.  It doesn't contribute any extra feedback problems that I'm aware of and does help to bring out that singer with the quiet voice

Don Boomer
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 03:46:18 PM »

A singer needs to hear the vowels, as that's where their pitch is.  I think the exciter would enhance consonants and add harmonics to the vowels, both of which would tend to mask the vowels' fundamentals and make it more difficult to hear the pitch.

Dietrich Sider

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 07:23:26 PM »

Had a band through that insisted on using one - said it gave the vocal some extra 'sparkle' or some similarly undefinable characteristic. I thought it muddied up the vocal, but they were very happy.

My gut instinct is that on a properly tuned, adequately powered system, with stage volumes at a reasonable level, there should never be a problem getting the vocal out front. Too bad every gig wasn't really like that . . .
Dietrich Sider

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 07:23:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.