ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A moment of silence, please...  (Read 12190 times)

Geri O'Neil

A moment of silence, please...
« on: April 16, 2004, 12:02:58 AM »

A moment of silence, please, for the old place. One must admit that it has served us pretty well over the years. Long live the Live Audio Board! yada, yada...

Geri O
(Wanted to post this at the old place, but missed the cut-off. Oh, well..)
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Marty Bilecki

• http://www.performancesound.com
Re: A moment of silence, please...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 12:22:02 AM »

ditto    marty b
 Martin J. Bilecki
 Performance Recording and Sound
 Orland Hills,Il. U.S.of A.
  WWW.PerformanceSound.com

Bada Bing    Bada Boom...  
 Sumptin Blowed up real Good!!!!!!

Mark Flemmons

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 12:41:10 AM »

Same Here....i will miss it, but i think i can get used to the new digs. Gonna take a while though. Cool
Ignorance is a CURABLE condition.
Stupid is FOREVER!

David Bedrack

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 03:15:33 AM »

Was thinking about the same thing.

In the last few years I had to "readjust" to many new technologies, working procedures, new tasks and challenges, and the list will go on for kilometers. Nothing  bad happened and I learned how to live and get the best out of those frightening new things. Life is easier? no, but I got more efficient with about the same effort. I don't remember feeling my eyes wet on gone technologies or equipment.

A New LAB? Not even near to THE end of the world.Just a new thing we'll have to learn how to use and get the best out of it. Hey, our wet dreams are about new things after all.

And good to see Dave's back on the controls.

All the best

David B.

Tonite a karaoke thing- GRRRRR. I'd LOVE to see this thing forgotten for ever.

Bruce Gering

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 06:59:20 AM »

Mad I HATE karoke night!
Sometimes I wish I had a clone of myself so I could enjoy life while my clone worked for me. Thing is, my clone would just keep the money, or worse yet, I would be working while he enjoyed my life!

Jon Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 07:02:36 PM »

The LAB is dead. Long live the LAB.  As they say...

jon

John T. Cotton

• Frugal Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 11:17:23 PM »

Gee...and I was still missing the Listserv.  Does anyone remember the listserv...? Smile
JTC
John T. Cotton

www.FrugalAudio.com

Ray Abbitt

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 11:54:09 PM »

You mean once upon a time there was a listserver? Before my time (on this forum). But to tell you the truth, I'm still on a couple of very active lists, and unless I am missing something about how this works, they are a lot easier to keep up with.

Michael Prasuhn

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 12:11:26 AM »

rabbitt wrote on Fri, 16 April 2004 21:54

You mean once upon a time there was a listserver? Before my time (on this forum). But to tell you the truth, I'm still on a couple of very active lists, and unless I am missing something about how this works, they are a lot easier to keep up with.

I love mailing lists personally, however I don't think I would want to see every post on the LAB come through my mailbox. Mailing lists don't scale well, and have their problems that webboards do address. Many boards out there, including this one, although I haven't tried this feature out yet, include options to mail you messages, or alert you to new messages.

Personally, I think it is possible, and I would be very impressed if someone could write a fully functional webboard/mailing list software package, that would function wholly as one or the other to the user, but both carried simultaneous, identical content. Maybe this exists, but I don't know that I would even use the mailing list portion for a group such as this.

-Mikey P
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net

Ray Abbitt

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 01:31:33 AM »

Mikey P wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 05:11

I love mailing lists personally, however I don't think I would want to see every post on the LAB come through my mailbox. Mailing lists don't scale well, and have their problems that webboards do address. Many boards out there, including this one, although I haven't tried this feature out yet, include options to mail you messages, or alert you to new messages.

Actually, unless I am doing something very wrong, I don't think this webboard is going to scale too well. As far as having all of the posts come through my mailbox, I have the luxury(?) of running my own mail server and using whatever client I want to and with the help of procmail I manage to sort about 1000 messages a day into different folders (including killing what I don't want to see) and usually read them with pine so that I can cruise through them with 2 keys. And yes, 95% of that traffic comes from about three mailing lists.
Quote:

Personally, I think it is possible, and I would be very impressed if someone could write a fully functional webboard/mailing list software package, that would function wholly as one or the other to the user, but both carried simultaneous, identical content. Maybe this exists, but I don't know that I would even use the mailing list portion for a group such as this.

I'm sure that somebody does. It's kind of funny, but Yahoo Groups come pretty close to managing this--the only real lack being no real threading. I participate in a number of Yahoo Groups without ever going to the web page--yet a lot of other members aren't even really aware that they can access them any way but the web page.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 01:31:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.