ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aiming Software ...  (Read 4777 times)

Brad Harris

Aiming Software ...
« on: April 15, 2004, 10:09:40 PM »

Well I do know there is specific made software for this, but I'm wondering what is the validity of using say a 3d cad program, make a room, make some speakers and go at it?

Just playing around earlier today and came up with this, any takers?

Anyways, check out the link  www.soundtechbrad.com/3dModel.htm
Brad Harris

Karl P(eterson)

Re: Aiming Software ...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:19:22 PM »

While a program like that is useful for overall visualization purposes it really doesn't do much for you in the terms of system design and/or loudspeaker aiming. You can do just as good of a (If not better, IMHO) job plotting it all out by hand with a few rulers, a calculator, graph paper, and a note pad.

The one problem I see with using something like a 3D cad program to show coverage is that while it does show you coverage and overlapping areas of coverage, it's not helping you understand whats going on in the overlaps and how its reacting to the room in the slightest. Thats where the "Real Programs" can help you by helping you figure out the best compromises to make in the battle of even sound coverage and phasing/cancellations that come with overlap(s).

The best way to understand these programs and what they do, is to (like everything else...) get out there, play, and tinker with it. If you really are interested you can go out to IFBsoft's site (the make the modeling program Ulysses) and download there trial version. Grab it here also grab a few loudspeaker databases for the ride. Since this program is "free" there are some limitations (You can't save, export, or model more than 8 speakers) but it helps you get a get a grasp on the program what it does and how it works. Ulysses doesn't have as many cabinets available to model as EASE, but in this case the simplicity of Ulysses is a good thing.

Moving along and talking about your "model" for a minute...

At first brush I would be worried about all of the different overlapping coverage areas. Normally speaking when I see an install with that many overlaps, there is some seriously funky phase, null/hot spots and outright cancellations going on. At the very least you need to make sure all your speakers will play together very well and spend a lot of time toying with your equalization, delay, bandpass filters and limiting _Very Carefully_.

Talking from my own thought process for a moment about that page. If I were doing that job I would take a look into using 2 or 3 TD1's per side at around 10~15 feet off the ground and using runts as a single downfill per side. These cabinets array very nicely in and of themselves and between sides. The reason I would say use TD1's in there is that they throw a very nice even coverage, 4 to 6 of them in there would get stupid loud, and they provide the goods without question.

You could also make a center cluster work with them by using 4 or 5 of them in a tight pack array and using one or two runts as downfills as needed.

Of course, the crowning statement on club work.... Any money spent on a system in a room would be practically worthless unless consideration was taking before hand for some decent (fire code approved Wink acoustics work.

Karl "Arg, wheres my bulldozer matey?" P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Brad Harris

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 11:19:23 AM »

Yeah, I figured as much, but look at all the pretty colours! Very Happy

You've probably guessed that I havn't designed a multi box/delay rig before, so I just was goin on what I've seen before when rigging multi box hangs.

Oh well, it kept me busy yesterday.
Brad Harris

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 11:19:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.