ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Bad.  (Read 3498 times)

Bosco

Not Bad.
« on: April 09, 2004, 09:07:59 AM »

See Ernie I told ya, this is the way to go.

But, and there always is a butt...

1) Roaddog is easier to read IMNSHO, in tree view there were alot more posts visable per page, you have a better perspective as to whats going on, maybe you can tighten it up a little. On Roaddog I can view 28 message headers, here I can view 17. On Roaddog the read/unread icons are 16x16, and PSW the are 22x22, and that adds up.

2) On the posting page those damn smilies are driving me crazy, hell they even make my cursor blink, maybe they could be hidden by default, and if I want to use them I could use "list all smilies"?

3) Maybe the "Create Topic" button could be something less confusing like "Post Message".

4) Maybe the "Title" header could be something "less" confusing, how about "My Main Point"  Twisted Evil

Bosco
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
    • http://www.standingstone.com
Re: Not Bad.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 11:51:11 PM »

Yep, and I agreed with you! Thanks for the recommendation. I've had an interesting time with the templating engine, admin features, etc., and Dave (who deserves a hearty welcome back) has tackled a lot of issues, including database issues.

1) Not sure I follow; the forum is set to display 40 posts/topics per page. The read/unread icons are out of the box; I can look at optimizing them (hasn't been a major issue to this point).

2) Yeah, a lot of people don't like the smilies, but then a lot of people like them and use them (even you do!). You can turn them off in your profile.

3) Create topic? You mean "New topic"? Or am I just too tired to see what you mean?

4) Ha!  Razz Absolutely! Must've taken a marketing genius with years of Web savvy to come up with that! (Oh the old days in Whitinsville!)

Great to hear from you.

Ernie
Ernie Black, Code Warrior
ProSoundWeb Forums Webmaster

Michael Prasuhn

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 08:34:55 PM »

What he's saying is that on the tree view, where it simply lists the subjects, and authors of posts, the text is rather far apart, as if double spaced, and that this may be caused by oversized icons. In other words, if the text of a line in tree view is only 14 pixels high, using a 22 pixel high icon, will cause the lines of text to be spaced farther apart.
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 09:02:47 PM »

Thanks, Mikey. I understood what Bosco was saying about the size of the icons (and as I said, I can look into modifying these), but what threw me was the number of message headers he said he could see on a page. Apparently he meant the number visible without scrolling down the page, which would indeed vary with the size of the icons and the declared line height, as well as the monitor resolution. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 06:51:35 PM »

Bosco wrote on Fri, 09 April 2004 06:07

4) Maybe the "Title" header could be something "less" confusing, how about "My Main Point"

LOL...  I just shot Pabst out of my nose reading that...

I owe you a call, we should hook up.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Bosco

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 08:52:09 PM »

Ernie,

1) I was refering only to how many posts fit on my screen without scrolling.

2) I have nothing against smilies, it's just that on the posting page all those annie icons drive my cursor wild, I only suggest not showing any "Smiley Shortcuts", the user still has access to the shortcuts with the "list all smilies".

3) I was refering to the Posting page again, when you are starting a thread (or topic in this case) the button says "Create Topic", my first thought was, ANOTHER Topic not post the one I already typed.

4) I'm sorry I made Dave waste beer, I'll never do it again, until the next time, I promise.

Bosco
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 09:16:06 PM »

Bosco,

1) Yeah, Mikey cleared that up for me. If it wasn't so late when I read your post, I probably would've gotten it, but me being so literal-minded sometimes.... I tried resizing the read/unread icons, btw, but to no avail; it's the fact that the tree view has the post title on one line, aligned left, and the poster and datetime stamp on the next line, aligned right, that creates the excessive height. If that were changed, then the icon could be reduced in size to match the line-height (unless the line wraps), but we have much bigger issues to resolve before I get to that level of templating.

2) Interesting idea. What do others think? Dave?

3) Ahh, I honestly hadn't noticed that; good point. That really should be "Submit Topic" not "Create Topic". This should be easy to fix since it's html type, unlike all the iconic buttons (tree view, new topic, post reply, etc.), all of which would be a huge pain to re-create since I don't have the font nor the layer styles applied to the images. I'll look into fixing this as soon as I can.

4) I just wish I was there to see it! If I had been drinking beer at the time I read "My main point", I wouldv'e sprayed my monitor with the stuff, I'm sure. That was just too funny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.