ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reviews needed on The New Behringer SL series mixers  (Read 4786 times)

d_preston215

Reviews needed on The New Behringer SL series mixers
« on: June 23, 2004, 03:34:05 PM »

PLEASE DONT REPLY IF YOUR GOING TO STRAIGHT OUT HATE ON BEHRINGER .I BEEN ALL UP IN THE WARS AND I AM NOT TRYING TO REPOPEN OLD WOUNDS HERE

I am in the middle of a small scale replacement of our current equipment of our church. I am not trying to flying hang or permanantly set anything up, so no designing or contractor is req.We will be moving into a new building in spring '05. Right now i just need a bang for the buck mixer thats nice and can do the job. Behringer new SL series mixers are most of what im looking for. I can train people with it , got 4 groups ,and 4 auxes, (technically 6 if you count both FX procs) .I am also looking into the new LX7 II console.Primarly I'm looking for respones on the Behringer.

Thnx  
"See thats why nobody can think for themselves, because everybody,even people who dont even know what they are talking about are dead set with hatred against something or somebody when they need to check what they are doing."

My MoM, 1996

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Re: Reviews needed on The New Behringer SL series mixers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 06:15:35 PM »

Can’t speak for that particular one, but we’ve been using a MX 3242X for a few months for our monitor mixer.  The inputs clip pretty easily – you definitely don’t want the input meters getting anywhere near the red.

Also the on-board EFX processor bit the dust in short order.  Not an issue for us, but it’s kinda galling that it went out so fast, especially since it was never even used.

I understand your predicament, since we’re usually cash-strapped at our church, too.  But our experience with budget gear is that we usually end up having to replace it to get something that works as it should – we have quite a few Alesis pieces gathering dust.  You might try doing what we did, look for high-quality, low mileage used gear.  For instance, you can pick up a used Soundcraft, Mackie etc. consoles on eBay for $1000 or less pretty regularly.   In fact, some luck stiff picked up a nice Mackie 32-8, complete with metering bridge, used only in a studio, for a mere $1000 a couple of weeks ago.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Simon Lewis

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 07:46:26 PM »

I've used, and even sold Behringer - it's part of a wide range of kit that isn't totally unusable, but isn't fully "professional". Therefore, I don't hate it, I just think of it in context with other low cost kit.

If you have access to the kit and Smaart, try comparing the two desks. My gripe with Behringer is that the various pieces I've looked at either appear unstable in Smaart, or there is a roll off or some other audio anomaly.

If you are able to buy the LX7II, I'd suggest that you'd get less depreciation and longer life from it. My experience with the Eurorack type desks is that they are functional, but not necessarily musical or aesthetically satisfying.
Wayne has pretty well answered your question by describing his pile of broken Alesis kit.
For the key component of a church audio system, I'd try and buy the best desk I could afford.

Simon

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 08:30:08 PM »

Another option is to keep your ears open for churhces that are upgrading and looking to sell thier older gear.  For instance, in a week or two our TAC Scorpion2 40 channel console will be up for sale when our new console arrives.

Chip Dixon

• http://none
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 10:58:45 PM »

The graphic EQ and effects on the SL Behringer board aren't very useful.  In fact, I'd rather they not be there at all.  If you're short on cash and want a Behringer board, I'd look at a MX2442A/MX3282A instead, personally.

And yes, they do clip easy and don't sound great when being pushed.  I have a MX2442A.  When I use it, I drive the mic pres at 0 average and +4 peaks, same with channel solos, and drive the main outs at 0 with +2 peaks, for best sound.  I've had many compliments on the sound of my mixes on that board, but it's only because I know how it likes to be driven.  I'm sure if I let someone who was not acquainted with my board have at it they'd get some curious looks from the musos and audience as to why the mix and balance is uneven.  Not all channels have the same gain characteristics, so make sure to check with PFL/Solo religiously.  Some auxs and channels need more or less gain to operate like the other channels.  But once you know its unique quirks it can get the job done.  You can't expect the cheapest board on the market to be completely consistent channel to channel.

Don't drive it like a Midas Smile

Best Regards,

Chip Dixon

Dave

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 09:01:47 AM »

Please don't start a thread telling people what to post or not to post.  Discussion of for the most part knock off entry level gear does not belong on the Classic LAB.

This belongs in Church Sound so off we go...

Dave
======================================
Blog with the dog
http://barking.roaddog.com/

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

At the price range you are looking at, I would consider the USA made Carvin mixers. You would get far better customer support even though they are mail order.  Having been a member of the Carvin BBS (I used to own a Carvin guitar), I can tell you that Carvin listens to thier customers and posts to the BBS regularly.  Thier mixers may not be a Soundcraft or Midas, but I would bet it would work better than the Behringer.

Adam Kane

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 10:45:58 PM »

I would agree with the rest of you that the SL baords aren't anything all that special.  I would only buy one in an emergency.  If you're stuck on Behringer, I'd reccomend the MX9000.  It's the most professional mix they have.  Meter bridge, nice sliders, nice EQ.  I've used it for live shows before with excellent results.  But I'd stay away from SL stuff.

Adam "Drumrkane"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 10:45:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.