ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Applied LA12-25 Line Array Tower  (Read 9923 times)

Tim Harrigan

Applied LA12-25 Line Array Tower
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »

Hello All,

http://appliednn.com/l_LA12-25.php

Anyone bought one of these yet?
Well built? Easy setup? Any other options for this use?
Pondering the purchase..
Anybody in/near Southeast have two available for rent in first week of May?
thanks,
Tim Harrigan
Wirebox Media

jason misterka

Re: Applied LA12-25 Line Array Tower
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »

Tim -

We have them and they are fantastic, easy to put together and easy to use.  They do what they say.

My only complaint is that we end up putting our subs on the platforms as ballast since it is easy, and it ends up diminishing the sub output somewhat. But you can guy or use sandbags, so we may end up going that direction more often to give us a little more freedom on sub placement.

Where are you located?  We are in Virginia if you want to check them out.

PM me if you do need to rent them, we are probably using them on the 5 - 7th of May but not positive yet.  I noticed someone on the old marketplace selling some in Florida, don't know if they are still available.

Jason

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »

I've set up Jason's towers once and agree on all of the positives.

Jason, if you're looking into ballasting them I would suggest using water barrels.  They're easy and cheap to rent or buy and almost any outdoor show is going to have some access to a water truck of some sort.  Probably not a good idea indoors, but then again you probably don't need ballast indoors.

I don't like sandbags because you're going to need a stupid amount of them before you have a substantial load on the base.  I don't like guy wires mainly because it de-rates the towers.  Additionally, Applied doesn't call for them, they're much easier to do wrong than right, they create trip hazards to audience most of the time, etc....

I might have a show for them 5/11-13 for them.  You're not taking them to Gettysburg are you?

thomas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »

Hello All,

http://appliednn.com/l_LA12-25.php

Anyone bought one of these yet?
Well built? Easy setup? Any other options for this use?
Pondering the purchase..
Anybody in/near Southeast have two available for rent in first week of May?
thanks,
Tim Harrigan
Wirebox Media

We have them, too.  They go up like any other tower system, just smaller.

The primary thing that takes the most time is the manual winch.  It's geared at 12:1, meaning 12 revolutions on the crank handle results in 1 revolution of the cable drum.  Because it is necessary to keep the wire rope wound evenly and flat, you spend a lot of time paying out and taking the wire rope back in as part of the assembly/erection and dis-assembly processes.

Four stage hands, with some prior experience in putting towers together, should be able to have a Mini-25 ready for loading in <30 min.  Now.. about loading the tower...

You won't be able to make a train of line array boxes (like vertec) or wheel up a cart of pre-assembled elements, as the front outrigger is in the way.  Removing the outrigger means the tower will fall forward, perhaps even without a significant load.

Another consideration:  your top box will trim out no higher than about 3' LESS than the height of the tower.

Guying indoors is not necessary and may present other issues that will be detrimental to staging a show.  Properly erected and protected, the outriggers should be sufficient.

PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jason misterka

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »

Tim,

I think you are referring to to LA-25.  The OP was referring to the LA12-25, which is a whole different beast. 

I'm on my mobile, but you can look on their website and see.

Jason

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

Tim,

I think you are referring to to LA-25.  The OP was referring to the LA12-25, which is a whole different beast. 

I'm on my mobile, but you can look on their website and see.

Jason

Oops, you're exactly right. :blush:

I've worked with the 12-25, but it's been a couple of years.  I don't recall anything odd or difficult about them.

The comment about guying these is spot on.  The tension of the guylines must be factored into the vertical loading of the tower.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jason misterka

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »

I'll check with Applied, but I'm pretty sure I remember them saying you could guy these easily.  Can't find the manual online, but I have one at the shop.

You are supposed to put 600lbs of ballast on a platform on legs.  Why does it de-rate the tower portion if instead you guy the legs?  The tower is rated for 1500lbs, not including the ballast weight.

I've never done it with guys, and I'm going to check with them before I do.  But it doesn't make sense to me that it would de-rate the load on this type of tower. Certainly I understand how that would be the case on genie lefts and LA-25 style towers.

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.