Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Applied LA12-25 Line Array Tower

(1/2) > >>

Tim Harrigan:
Hello All,

http://appliednn.com/l_LA12-25.php

Anyone bought one of these yet?
Well built? Easy setup? Any other options for this use?
Pondering the purchase..
Anybody in/near Southeast have two available for rent in first week of May?
thanks,
Tim Harrigan
Wirebox Media

jason misterka:
Tim -

We have them and they are fantastic, easy to put together and easy to use.  They do what they say.

My only complaint is that we end up putting our subs on the platforms as ballast since it is easy, and it ends up diminishing the sub output somewhat. But you can guy or use sandbags, so we may end up going that direction more often to give us a little more freedom on sub placement.

Where are you located?  We are in Virginia if you want to check them out.

PM me if you do need to rent them, we are probably using them on the 5 - 7th of May but not positive yet.  I noticed someone on the old marketplace selling some in Florida, don't know if they are still available.

Jason

Thomas Dameron:
I've set up Jason's towers once and agree on all of the positives.

Jason, if you're looking into ballasting them I would suggest using water barrels.  They're easy and cheap to rent or buy and almost any outdoor show is going to have some access to a water truck of some sort.  Probably not a good idea indoors, but then again you probably don't need ballast indoors.

I don't like sandbags because you're going to need a stupid amount of them before you have a substantial load on the base.  I don't like guy wires mainly because it de-rates the towers.  Additionally, Applied doesn't call for them, they're much easier to do wrong than right, they create trip hazards to audience most of the time, etc....

I might have a show for them 5/11-13 for them.  You're not taking them to Gettysburg are you?

thomas

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Tim Harrigan on February 10, 2011, 09:02:15 AM ---Hello All,

http://appliednn.com/l_LA12-25.php

Anyone bought one of these yet?
Well built? Easy setup? Any other options for this use?
Pondering the purchase..
Anybody in/near Southeast have two available for rent in first week of May?
thanks,
Tim Harrigan
Wirebox Media

--- End quote ---

We have them, too.  They go up like any other tower system, just smaller.

The primary thing that takes the most time is the manual winch.  It's geared at 12:1, meaning 12 revolutions on the crank handle results in 1 revolution of the cable drum.  Because it is necessary to keep the wire rope wound evenly and flat, you spend a lot of time paying out and taking the wire rope back in as part of the assembly/erection and dis-assembly processes.

Four stage hands, with some prior experience in putting towers together, should be able to have a Mini-25 ready for loading in <30 min.  Now.. about loading the tower...

You won't be able to make a train of line array boxes (like vertec) or wheel up a cart of pre-assembled elements, as the front outrigger is in the way.  Removing the outrigger means the tower will fall forward, perhaps even without a significant load.

Another consideration:  your top box will trim out no higher than about 3' LESS than the height of the tower.

Guying indoors is not necessary and may present other issues that will be detrimental to staging a show.  Properly erected and protected, the outriggers should be sufficient.

PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

Tim Mc

jason misterka:
Tim,

I think you are referring to to LA-25.  The OP was referring to the LA12-25, which is a whole different beast. 

I'm on my mobile, but you can look on their website and see.

Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version