ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do you all get your floor mats?  (Read 3595 times)

JOSEPH DIXON

Where do you all get your floor mats?
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:25:24 AM »

OK, I need to break down and by a few floor mats. There are just too many times lately where I need to cover the snake and other cabling. I always end up hunting around or asking staff if they have any mats I can use.

So where is the cheapest place to buy a few 4 X 6 floor mats?

David Jameson

• SR Forums
Re: Where do you all get your floor mats?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:29 AM »

I don't use floor mats.  I see more tripping over the mats than just leaving the cables exposed myself.  I use cable ramps.  More expensive but more professional looking and more versatile.  My favorite:  http://www.checkersindustrial.com/products-by-category.php?Category=1

Just my $.02....

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting rules
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »

OK, I need to break

Please go to your profile and change the name field to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

We already went through this with you on the FUD forums, did you really think we would forget?

Mac

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »

OK, I need to break down and by a few floor mats. There are just too many times lately where I need to cover the snake and other cabling. I always end up hunting around or asking staff if they have any mats I can use.

So where is the cheapest place to buy a few 4 X 6 floor mats?

3x5 rubber mats are about $18 at Home Depot.
Be sure to gaf-tape the four corners down, as they tend to "travel" in high-traffic areas.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Randall Hyde

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »

I don't use floor mats.  I see more tripping over the mats than just leaving the cables exposed myself.  I use cable ramps.  More expensive but more professional looking and more versatile.  My favorite:  http://www.checkersindustrial.com/products-by-category.php?Category=1

Just my $.02....

Good luck.

Cable guards are *indeed* more professional, but at about 5-10x the cost. As for tripping, trust me, people trip over the cable guards far more often than mats :-)

The real reason for not leaving the cables exposed (as any Fire Marshall will nail you for) is because people get their feet hooked under the cable and that really trips them up, not to mention it raises the cable creating a bigger trip hazard (not to mention damaging equipment at either end of the cable).  Code enforcement personnel are perfectly happy with rubber mats (even if the corners aren't taped down, which I always do).

Because of the trip hazard cable guards represent, I tend to use them only when heavier traffic is expected that might actually damage the cables. This could be heavy rolling cases (band equipment) or vehicular traffic.  Cable guards are also a good idea when covering power feed cables.

The really *bad* thing about rubber mats is that they're very easy to leave behind, especially when you're employing them indoors (where the venue might already have some in place). Still, in the long run, it's cheaper than Gaf tape.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »

I agree, very easy to trip on "Cable Guards".

I use the 3 X 6 mats from Costco, about $20.00.

Roll them carpet side out and you should not have trouble with corners.

Regards,  John

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

VDC sell them :

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.