ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rcording to CD for quick distribution  (Read 9852 times)

Justin Russell

• Living Word Christian Cnter
Rcording to CD for quick distribution
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »

Hello all - I'm looking for a solution to a challenge I have come up against as the Media Director of a church.

Often in our services, the Pastor will pray for someone, or speak a word of encouragement, etc. Up to now we have always recorded those "personal words" to cassette tapes, and given them to each person as a gift.

We have a dual well cassette recorder that enables us to quickly switch tapes if there is more than one prayer close together (each person gets a tape with only their prayer on it), which happens quite frequently. This has been a great system, since the tapes are instantly ready and able to be handed out directly following the service.

The problem we are finding now is that more and more people do not have a cassette player anymore, and therefore can't listen to their tapes. We are wanting to upgrade this whole process to use CDs instead. We already record directly to CD for our main sermon recordings, so I am familiar with the equipment and process of recording to CD.

Here's the problem: When recording to CD, each disk must be "finalized", or "closed' before it can be used on a CD player. On our current CD recorder (Tascam 302 mkII), this process takes over 1 minute, so there is no way to quickly switch to another disk. By the time the current disk is finalized, ejected, labelled, and a new disk loaded, and the recorder reads and confirms a blank disk, probably 2 min is gone, and the prayer has not gotten recorded for the next person.

The solution I have come up with so far (but not put into practice) is to use a dual disk recorder, like the Microboards Copywriter Live, as a dedicated machine for this use, so we can still use our current CD recorder for the sermon recordings, as these scenarios sometimes happen at the same time (sermon & personal prayer) but still have the capability to quickly switch between 2 disks, without missing anything. We currently use a Copywriter for a different application, and the switch between disks is instant once you push the disk change button.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation, and what did you do, or does anyone have any suggestions for this scenario?

I would like to get as much insight and input as possible before paying $1400 for 2 machines

Thanks very much!!

Justin

Fred Dorado

Re: Rcording to CD for quick distribution
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

if you have a computer handy try this
http://www.eztrackercd.com/

doesn't need anything fast, you can "insert" a track very easily and then decide whether you want it included in the cd as you burn it.

The 30 day free trial is great and it is super easy to use. I just started using it a couple weeks ago as I need something easier for our volunteers to use.

I "record" the sermon as an mp3 so I can upload to the web easily, and then just burn to a cd.

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:36:53 AM »

+1 for the pc solution,
just record the whole service and set trackmarks where you need them.

If you buy a used computer, this solution is really cheap.
Chances are high that someone of your church wants to get rid of one.

Jasen Jacobsen

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »

This has been a great system, since the tapes are instantly ready and able to be handed out directly following the service.
I think this is going to be your downfall. CDs take time to record and finalize as you mentioned. It doesn't matter how you record - direct to CD, into a computer - it's going to take time to burn and finalize the CD. That may be enough time to make it not possible to give the recordings out immediately after service.

What you might be able to do is record to computer & CD. Burn the service & sermon straight to CD and make copies for after the service from that. Then with the computer recording, add the personal prayers to the service recording, print a nice personalized label, and give them to the people the following Sunday. You could even add an intro to the front of the CD.

I would sell it not as "you have to wait a week" but as "we're going to provide a very nice keepsake".

I just don't see a way you're going to go from recording to several individual customized CDs between prayer and the end of the service - maybe get the music director to add a few songs at the end of service.  ::)

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »

I just stumbled across a rack mount Digital Recorder the other day that is reasonably priced. (iKey RM3 @ $200)  You still have the issue of getting the recordings to CD which as mentioned is gonna take X amount of time.  Personally I wouldn't want to rely on swapping via a couple CD recorders if you have several or more recordings to do.  They take time to initialize and finalize and time to manage which just leaves room for glitches or mistakes.  If you're running a regular recording full service at least that leaves you some backup though. If  the RM3 will record separate tracks and selectively export them directly to a CD via computer burner it might be an option worth looking into.

I haven't seen any reviews or info of the iKey unit.  Years back I think they had some issues with their first handheld digital and brought out a new version quickly and they're still around so maybe they've got their act together now.  It uses SD cards and USB mass storage as well as USB to a computer so audio could be quickly transferred to computer and burnt to CD.  If the features suit the use and it is a reliable unit it fits the price point for a lot of Churches for recording purposes.  Maybe we've got someone on the board using one that could comment.  I'm gonna take a closer look at it for Audio I do and for our Church.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:00:41 PM by Scott Raymond »

Justin Russell

• Living Word Christian Cnter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »

Thanks for the input...
+1 for the pc solution,
just record the whole service and set trackmarks where you need them.

What you might be able to do is record to computer & CD. Burn the service & sermon straight to CD and make copies for after the service from that. Then with the computer recording, add the personal prayers to the service recording, print a nice personalized label, and give them to the people the following Sunday.

We already record to PC w/ Adobe Audition, which we save and archive in .mp3. The problem w/ this is the availability. It just takes too long to effectively get the content from the PC to a disk, in order to get it into the hands of the person. Many times, it is for a visitor, and they may not be back the next week....

The solution I am moving toward is that all the prayers/words will be on one disk, one track per person, and then we will duplicate those right after the service, and they can find their own track.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »

I needed to get around to buying my EZtrackerCD license and just did.

While I was looking at the site I noticed that have a turnkey computer and CD burner combo. Not cheap, but may do exactly what you need
http://www.eztrackercd.com/solutions.html

If you wanted to spend money you could probably go that way and burn multiple CD's at once and then do the special one. I think you will be surprised at how well and how fast EZtracker works.

It was specifically designed for our type of use, so it does not have massive amounts of options, but works perfect for our environment.

Jasen Jacobsen

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »

The solution I am moving toward is that all the prayers/words will be on one disk, one track per person, and then we will duplicate those right after the service, and they can find their own track.
I'd be real careful with that. If people share personal details they probably won't like that being shared with other people. Like, "Dear Lord, please help Mabel as she struggles with an addiction to pain killers." "And be with Jim as he contemplates leaving his wife and family." Not good.

USB thumb drives might be a good instant method, but they are pricey compared to CDs or tapes.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »

I'd be real careful with that. If people share personal details they probably won't like that being shared with other people. Like, "Dear Lord, please help Mabel as she struggles with an addiction to pain killers." "And be with Jim as he contemplates leaving his wife and family." Not good.

USB thumb drives might be a good instant method, but they are pricey compared to CDs or tapes.

Hello all - I'm looking for a solution to a challenge I have come up against as the Media Director of a church.

Often in our services, the Pastor will pray for someone, or speak a word of encouragement, etc. Up to now we have always recorded those "personal words" to cassette tapes, and given them to each person as a gift.

I doubt the pastor's words will be that private.

Mac

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »

I would go the EZTracker CD route.

Buy a bunch of thumb drives with your church name on them.  (about $5 each or less)  Plug 3 or 4 into a PC, drag and drop and hand out.

Record the service, and click the big button for a new track for each prayer.  As soon as the prayers are over, pick just that track and drage it to a thumb drive

Frank
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.