ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to listen  (Read 19474 times)

Iain.Macdonald

How to listen
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »

Hi all,

In a recent article about the current Sting tour, in Light and Sound Magazine(UK), there's a quote from Howard Page, Director of Engineering at Clair Bros, and currently FOH on the Sting tour.

“The artist always signs off on the CD before it goes into mass production. It should be the same for live sound. Often it’s too loud, the dynamic is lost and the audience is brutalised. It doesn’t have to be like that; many groups would be horrified if they heard what’s going on out front.”

Harman R&D Group have recently released an interesting piece of software called  "How to listen". It might help the critical listening skills of some folks in the PA world, and stop the audience and artist complaints.

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

Iain.

Liam Flaherty

Re: How to listen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »

This seems really interesting and useful but unfortunately I'm having problems with the 'log-in'. It lets me create a user account and everything but when I go to type it in it tells me the password is incorrect. Running on Mac 10.6.6. Anyone else having this problem?

Cheer,

Liam

Luke Landis

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »

I'm in, but can't get selected files to play in the program. Went to download PDF, and dead link. Looks cool if I can get it working.

Luke Landis

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »

Locks up/shuts down when I try to add program material.  :(

Liam Flaherty

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »

Finally managed to get it working and it's brilliant!

Just created a WAV file, put it into the "programs" folder (not that I think it would have mattered where it went) and when it couldn't find the tracks just kept using the WAV I created. I'm sure the full version will be far more stable but this is an excellent training tool.

Jasen Jacobsen

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »

File permissions after install seem all jacked up on the Mac. I had to manually change permissions on a few things to get it to run. Now I need to create some .wavs - all my CDs are archived in Apple lossless format.

Also, how good does your playback system need to be for this to work? Will cheapy earbuds plugged into a laptop work? Or should it be hooked up to a $5000 stereo system? What you're listening on is very important to what you hear.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:27:13 PM by Jasen Jacobsen »

Joe Fanelli

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »

Liam,
I am running into the same login issue on Vista, can you share how you solved it?

Liam Flaherty

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:27:27 AM »

Regarding playback Jasen, I've just been running it on my usual home system and with my mix headphones. The majority of the exercises will be fine on most setups as they are looking more at frequencies i.e. has this been boosted at 2k or 500, so it stands out pretty obviously, however, when it's working down at the lower frequencies like boosting 50Hz and below you wont always notice it.

Joe, unfortunately I don't really have a definite solution, think I was just lucky, but after trying several sort of standard usernames and passwords without any luck, I rebooted my laptop and went for "1234" as username and password and it worked fine and I'm still able to log-in with that every time.

Andre Bezuidenhout

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 06:52:57 AM »

Would love to use this, but I am also having the login problem. Tried everything. Help me please!

Jasen Jacobsen

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »

Regarding playback Jasen, I've just been running it on my usual home system and with my mix headphones.
I got it working and it will definitely be fun to play with once I have some time. I used a pair of JLab earbuds and they work pretty good for all but the really low stuff.

Source material is also going to be important. I loaded up some piano with female vocal; on the EQ tests, once you get up to five bands, it's not going to matter what happens with the 50Hz knob, there's nothing there to change. So some full spectrum material will be best. Also something with equal L&R balance will be good, the balance tests are made harder by using something with major parts panned heavily.

If you work in a church, this looks like a good program to run any prospective sound board volunteers through both as training and to find out if they can hear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.