ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Encrypted Wireless - AKG?, Suggestions?  (Read 12133 times)

TomBoisseau

Encrypted Wireless - AKG?, Suggestions?
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:32:45 PM »

I need to purchase 12 encrypted wireless systems.  Right now the only thing I'm seeing that looks descent is the AKG 700 series.  Does anyone have any experience with these units, or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks,
Tom

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
Re: Encrypted Wireless - AKG?, Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38:09 PM »

Lectrosonics has a line of encrypted wireless,
http://www.lectrosonics.com/Encrypted-Wireless/encrypted-wireless.html

Interestingly its their 700 series also.

The price is likely to be up there, but Lectro RF is nearly bullet proof.

Philip

TomBoisseau

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »

Philip,

Thanks for the responce, however Lectrosonics is limited to a maximun of 8 systems that can be used together at a time.  I will need at least 12.  Price is not really an issue.

Does anyone have experiance with the AKG or perhaps could suggest another brand that has a proven track record?

Tom

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »

Look into the Sony DVX digital wireless system. Supports encryption, and as a bonus has the best audio quality in the market.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-proaudiosite/cat-audio/?navId=4294963653+4294967268+4294966607+4294966507&refine=4294967294

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »

The best encryption... is copper wire.  I tried to explain that to some doofus... er, client, from Adobe, 15 years ago but he didn't want to hear it.  "We MUST have wireless!"  Why?  "Because we're doing TV!"  Uh, yeah, iMag.  Nobody is moving more than 6 feet during the presentation.

They were concerned that someone with a scanner would be sitting in the parking lot, recording.  I understand corporate espionage, but to refuse out-of-hand the real and complete solution available at that point in history was just dumb.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »

Don't know your application, but you might want to check out Revolabs, though their focus has been more in the corporate boardroom than live sound.  Regardless, their HD stuff sounds pretty good and performs rather well in the few conference rooms I have spec'd it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Corporate security
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »

The best encryption... is copper wire.  I tried to explain that to some doofus... er, client, from Adobe, 15 years ago but he didn't want to hear it.  "We MUST have wireless!"  Why?  "Because we're doing TV!"  Uh, yeah, iMag.  Nobody is moving more than 6 feet during the presentation.

They were concerned that someone with a scanner would be sitting in the parking lot, recording.  I understand corporate espionage, but to refuse out-of-hand the real and complete solution available at that point in history was just dumb.

For many years there were no RF mics used on IBM meetings for just that reason. Now I guess they just don't talk about the secret sauce at big meetings. I am sitting in an IBM meeting as I type this, with 14 RF mics that are almost all used in 4 sessions per day. Lots of panel discussions.

During walk in this morning, as I was playing AC/DC's "For those who are about to Rock", and KISS's "Rock and Roll all Night", half the crew, who have been doing IBM meetings for more than 20 years, commented on their disbeleif that they would ever have heard that music on an IBM event. Time marches on.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »

Philip,

Thanks for the responce, however Lectrosonics is limited to a maximun of 8 systems that can be used together at a time.  I will need at least 12.  Price is not really an issue.

Does anyone have experiance with the AKG or perhaps could suggest another brand that has a proven track record?

Tom

It's not actual "encryption", but the Line 6 mics use digital transmission, with frequency hopping, which would rule out recording from an analog scanner.

I think they claim up to 12 units operating together.

Mac

Ollie Morrish

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »

I recently used AKG DMS700 mics with the encryption enabled and found them to be quite useable. The audio quality was excellent and eight units together, along with several UHF-R's gave me no issues.

I think that as far as encrypted RF mics go, these are the best that I've tried, although I did also like the Lectrosonics.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »

Thanks guys.

I like the AKG and the Zaxcom, actually I think I like the Zaxcom best, however the AKG seems more user freindly.  I'm going to recommend the AKG system to my client.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.