ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector Screen Install in Gym CONTINUATION  (Read 11186 times)

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
Projector Screen Install in Gym CONTINUATION
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »

This is a continuation/update of my old post:
http://churchsound.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/15605/b903404b3c0072cc42c47b14c1cefaff/

Well we got the projector installed. Here are a few pictures of the finished product:

The 5100u is plenty bright...

We installed the projector in the walkway to prevent balls from hitting it.

We put plenty of ventilation above and below the projector to create a draft to move the air

We used it for the first time last night at our super bowl party and it looked AWESOME. I am very pleased with the results. Thanks for all the help guys with the previous post.
Kristian Stevenson

DonSneed

Re: Projector Screen Install in Gym CONTINUATION
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:36 AM »

What a cool idea.....good job !!!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »

It probably is not an issue, but if you have not done so you might want to verify that the area where the projector is mounted is not considered a plenum space.  If it is not, then it looks like a great solution.

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Brad, correct me if I'm wrong but since there are no air vents or returns in the walkway then we should be good, right? All the HVAC for the gym is on the second floor behind a perpendicular wall to where the projector is mounted.
Kristian Stevenson

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »

Brad, correct me if I'm wrong but since there are no air vents or returns in the walkway then we should be good, right? All the HVAC for the gym is on the second floor behind a perpendicular wall to where the projector is mounted.
Chances are you are fine as that 'bulkhead' is most likely an architctural detail created to hide something or to create a desired look but you could run into something like the area above the ceiling essentially serving as a duct to transfer return air from one side of the room to the other.  I see this often with vertical return air chases, someone thinks they're a nice path to pull cables without considering that it is a plenum.

These types of issues are easy to miss.  I remember one job where a couple of the techs came and grabbed the Project Manager and myself saying "You have to see this."  They take us up to a divisible meeting room and point up.  There was a nicely framed opening in the wall above the operable partition through which another tech had run all the cables.  What he apparently didn't realize is that the framed opening was a smoke damper that is intended to close and keep the spaces separated during a fire.  Oops.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »

These types of issues are easy to miss.  I remember one job where a couple of the techs came and grabbed the Project Manager and myself saying "You have to see this."  They take us up to a divisible meeting room and point up.  There was a nicely framed opening in the wall above the operable partition through which another tech had run all the cables.  What he apparently didn't realize is that the framed opening was a smoke damper that is intended to close and keep the spaces separated during a fire.  Oops.

And any cables that do pierce a firewall need to be properly installed with an approved firestop and sealed with fire-rated sealant. Your local codes may vary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestop
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Sheetrock#Fire_resistance
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:31:38 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »

And any cables that do pierce a firewall need to be properly installed with an approved firestop and sealed with fire-rated sealant. Your local codes may vary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestop
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Sheetrock#Fire_resistance

Thanks for that info Jonathan. None of our cable runs went through a firewall so we are good there.
Kristian Stevenson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.