Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound Archive

Headphone Mixers

<< < (2/2)

drumguy:
Thanks Kevin, i'll run that one by. The reasoning was that we already have a supply of powered hot-spots and i was looking into the "saving money" thing that churches like so much even when they do have it to spend.

Quote:
Also a lot of amateur musicians don’t know what they really want in their monitors.

You should hear the fussing that goes on in the pre-service practice where the monitors are being set. The settings never change from week to week, but what everyone wants does change from week to week. Never been able to figure that one out. I am actually a percussionist at the church, i just keep my mouth shut and do the best i can do with what i get to an extent. But anyway, we are just trying to make it as less stressful as possible for everyone. THere is no sense getting pissed off 30 minutes before you are supposed to worship, just puts a damper on everything.

Quote:
Most of the channels in the monitor system are direct outs (or tapped off the channel insert jacks. Everyone on the network gets the same set of signals to work from, each personal mixer has individual controls to determine how much of each signal gets fed into that person's monitor mix. You are also able to control panning on each signal source individually.

The only time you use aux sends is when you want to create a sub mix (like the drum kit for example).

Ok im a little confused here. I think i understand how this would work. Let me explain our situation a little better and maybe get un-confused.

We are using an A&H GL 4 for the only mixer in the church. Currently we are running 4 monitor sends ( choir, minister of music and vocals, piano, and drummer-has wireless phones b/c otherwise he wanted about 120 db of bass to a wedge), the horns, aux percussion, and guitars are piggybacked off of either the minister's or piano monitor.

Ok, if we went with the axiom system, we would go from the insert jacks of mixer to the distribution box, then go from distribution box to each mixer via ethernet cable, and everyone would have complete control?

I have never ran monitors other than with an aux send to the amp, eq, then to speaker. Then the FOH guy can control how much of each channel/signal to put into each aux mix. So the insert thing was confusing me.

Phil Ouellette:
drumguy wrote on Sun, 02 May 2004 21:51
Thanks Kevin, i'll run that one by. The reasoning was that we already have a supply of powered hot-spots and i was looking into the "saving money" thing that churches like so much even when they do have it to spend.

Ok im a little confused here. I think i understand how this would work. Let me explain our situation a little better and maybe get un-confused.

We are using an A&H GL 4 for the only mixer in the church. Currently we are running 4 monitor sends ( choir, minister of music and vocals, piano, and drummer-has wireless phones b/c otherwise he wanted about 120 db of bass to a wedge), the horns, aux percussion, and guitars are piggybacked off of either the minister's or piano monitor.

Ok, if we went with the axiom system, we would go from the insert jacks of mixer to the distribution box, then go from distribution box to each mixer via ethernet cable, and everyone would have complete control?

I have never ran monitors other than with an aux send to the amp, eq, then to speaker. Then the FOH guy can control how much of each channel/signal to put into each aux mix. So the insert thing was confusing me.

Your GL4 has direct outs so that is what I would connect to the Aviom system (plug the direct out of each mic channel that you want in the monitor system into the Aviom transmitter head, you have a max of 16 inputs). The drum kit will take some thought. Most people want kick and high hat (plus possibly snare) in their monitor mix, so I would send those 3 channels individually using direct outs and I would also create a drum submix of all the rest of the drum kit using an aux send.  That drum aux send would be take up one channel on the Aviom system.

Basically once you get everything hooked up and your one drum submix done you no longer have responsibility for the monitor mixes.  It's a good idea for you to setup each persons initial monitor mix for them (and save this to a preset in the Aviom), so they have somewhere to start from.

Headphones work very well, powered speakers can work (we have three Mackie Art 300A in use as monitors on our stage).

Phil

drumguy:
Ok, thanks phil. That was the answer that i was lookin for. Now all i have to do is talk the minister of music into spending the money on it.

We don't have to worry about drums though. We use a Roland Electronic set, so only one channel to worry about.

Once again, thanks. Now im not so confused anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version