ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SuperBowl  (Read 28161 times)

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
Re: SuperBowl
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »

I've complained about the TV sound at the SuperBowl half time for years.  Last good one was U2 in 2002...
I thought Prince's performance was great.
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Alex Sostarich

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »

Doesn’t ATK AudioTek (www.atkcorp.com ) handle the live audio and PRG doing lighting/staging etc?  I am pretty sure I saw the ground stacked Vertec carts that ATK has.  I could be mistaken though.  The question I have is who was doing the broadcast truck mix.  From what I could hear in my 5.1 at home the stadium mix seemed to be fine.  The broadcast mix seemed completely dry with little to no compression.  Whoever did hit the auto-tune in somewhat the right places for the sounds that require it (it’s an effect here guys).  Over all the production mix was pretty bad.  I know ATK has been doing the Superbowl and Grammys for years but it’s always someone else doing the broadcast mix.   
Alex
fax - 708.235.0766
[email protected]
www.technotrix.net

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 09:40:57 PM »

I didn´think it was thats bad. Maybe because I was watching mono 5000 km from there. The mute at the beginning and the low volume Slash guitar was killer, though.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Irving A. Hammond Jr.

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »

I saw the performance in 5.1 at a decent volume. First of all the announcers and crowd noise and etcetera was mixed pretty good compared to regular season games which announcers are usually buried by crowd noise. I usually just switch to stereo when that happens.

As for when the BEP came out it went downhill. The vocals seemed like they had no compression whatsoever, except when they were using the auto tune. You could also hear when a vocal or something was to low then someone drastically all of sudden bringing a fader up. The tracks sounded seriously squashed in relation to the vocals.

It reminded me of no compression on vocals with inexperienced singer.

Maybe the guy mixing thought that this was a good day to start experimenting with expanders

Again on slash it seemed loud enough in the beginning of his solo then it sounded like he got off then they lowered him

JasonCole

• Twitter Feed
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »

I thought Prince's performance was great.

The Prince one was also terrible.  His performance was great, the audio was awful.  All you could hear was his guitar and vocal.  Rest of the band sounded like they were across the street at my neighbors house inside.

I will retract a bit, the Tom Petty one was pretty good.

Trevor Ludwig

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

I know ATK has been doing the Superbowl and Grammys for years but it’s always someone else doing the broadcast mix.   

Don't bring the Grammys into this too.  The last two years I watched that I felt physically ill.  However there was a moment two years ago where they mic'd a 5 gallon white bucket....i still want to know how that happened... that sounded good.

It almost sounded to me like the backing tracks were somehow sidechained to the vocal bus, squashing it and effectively killing it.  but yeah, the vocals were all over the place.  too quiet, then too loud, and all too dry.

Petty was pretty good, Springsteen put on a descent show, but I don't recall the audio being something to write home about, nor does it stand out as being god awful.
Trevor Ludwig

John Heinz

• Concert Quality Sound
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »

I'm sure the who and how will come out as to what happened soon enough. My opinion on what I heard was, it may very well had been the house mix, run down 2 channels to the truck. The fact that autotune was an integral part of the music structure required the mixer to be fairly intimate with the tracks. The compression on the vocals was too loose, more PA style than TV style. The lack of reverb or delay, which we know is in the songs. Missing the mic cue, because your sitting a couple of hundred feet away.These characteristics are less noticed in a live setting with screaming fans versus sitting is an isolated TV truck where it is more obvoius. I think the bottom line is, someone said "it's only 6 mics and a CD playback" and took a shortcut. Of course I'm most likely 100% wrong.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »

Of course I'm most likely 100% wrong.

Yeah, most likely.

There has been a whole truck dedicated to music mix on every SuperBowl in recent memory.

There is about a zero percent chance it was a stereo mix from the PA mixer. SB is a TV show, not a live show, despite the people in the stands.

Mac

Brian Larson

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:38 PM »

That was completely unacceptable. I am totally confident saying that making a low budget bar-band sound good is a lot more difficult than getting a decent mix for a multimillion dollar production consisting of less than ten channels.

The lighting was a hell of a lot more complicated, but I thought it looked great.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: SuperBowl excesses
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »

That was completely unacceptable. I am totally confident saying that making a low budget bar-band sound good is a lot more difficult than getting a decent mix for a multimillion dollar production consisting of less than ten channels.

It was unacceptable, but unless you have actually been in the truck for an event like SuperBowl you have no way of knowing which is harder. If you think there were only 10 channels you clearly have not been in that truck. There was almost certainly more than 10 channels of track, maybe as many as 20 or 30. There were at least a dozen audience mics. There were probably multiple FX returns for each vocal mic. Nothing exceeds like excess.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: SuperBowl excesses
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.