Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Portable System to be used in gym

(1/2) > >>

Kristian Stevenson:
This is a continuation and an update to an older post:
http://churchsound.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/15606/d7bbbd2cf4052c92b31c3053c55a5156/

Here are some pictures of a mock setup we did today:

(and no the wedges will not stay on the floor

the projector mounted recessed into the walkway with vents above and below the walkway.

Very happy with the KW series!! behind the sub is an old Mackie 808 mixer amp to power the wedges.

Zoomed out view
Comments?
Suggestions?

Tom Young:

--- Quote from: Kristian Stevenson on February 05, 2011, 10:16:01 PM ---This is a continuation and an update to an older post:
......Here are some pictures of a mock setup we did today:
Comments?
Suggestions?

--- End quote ---

The fullrange speakers are high enough and you have the seats far enough from the speakers that it appears that everyone is covered. And the FOH mix position is well within the coverage of the speakers. Good.

However; the mix positon is far enough away that they may mix too loudly especially for those in the first row.

The speakers are projecting directly into the opposite wall and unless this wall is heavily diffuse or has acoustic absorption, there will be a fairly intense direct reflection (slap back) that will project back to the stage and those seated between.   

You need to tilt the fullrange speakers down (in a safe manner) and it'll help to move the mix position closer. Even if the numbers (seats) grow, keep the mixer close and place the seats around them.

google on "speaker tilter"

Kristian Stevenson:
Thanks for the suggestions Tom!

I did notice that the first two rows were a lot louder than the mix position. I will definitely pass that info on too my other sound techs. As far as turning the speakers down, the KW series has an adjustable pole mount that allows the mains to be turned down 7.5 degrees. I will do that today and see what happens. My only concern was when we add chairs farther back as the service grows, that they will loose coverage.

Taylor Phillips:
I think you should get a curtain to put on the wall behind the stage to absorb the sound from the wedges and any acoustic instruments you might put up there.  Also will look a bit nicer.

Tom Young:

--- Quote from: Kristian Stevenson on February 06, 2011, 08:48:15 AM --- As far as turning the speakers down, the KW series has an adjustable pole mount that allows the mains to be turned down 7.5 degrees. I will do that today and see what happens. My only concern was when we add chairs farther back as the service grows, that they will loose coverage.

--- End quote ---

7.5-degrees is not a whole lot but it will certainly help.

While I am guessing what the vertical coverage is, it does not appear that you will lose coverage to the back rows due to this tilt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version