ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable System to be used in gym  (Read 6828 times)

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
Portable System to be used in gym
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »

This is a continuation and an update to an older post:
http://churchsound.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/15606/d7bbbd2cf4052c92b31c3053c55a5156/

Here are some pictures of a mock setup we did today:

(and no the wedges will not stay on the floor

the projector mounted recessed into the walkway with vents above and below the walkway.

Very happy with the KW series!! behind the sub is an old Mackie 808 mixer amp to power the wedges.

Zoomed out view
Comments?
Suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:23:14 PM by Kristian Stevenson »
Kristian Stevenson

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Portable System to be used in gym
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:14:37 AM »

This is a continuation and an update to an older post:
......Here are some pictures of a mock setup we did today:
Comments?
Suggestions?

The fullrange speakers are high enough and you have the seats far enough from the speakers that it appears that everyone is covered. And the FOH mix position is well within the coverage of the speakers. Good.

However; the mix positon is far enough away that they may mix too loudly especially for those in the first row.

The speakers are projecting directly into the opposite wall and unless this wall is heavily diffuse or has acoustic absorption, there will be a fairly intense direct reflection (slap back) that will project back to the stage and those seated between.   

You need to tilt the fullrange speakers down (in a safe manner) and it'll help to move the mix position closer. Even if the numbers (seats) grow, keep the mixer close and place the seats around them.

google on "speaker tilter"
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions Tom!

I did notice that the first two rows were a lot louder than the mix position. I will definitely pass that info on too my other sound techs. As far as turning the speakers down, the KW series has an adjustable pole mount that allows the mains to be turned down 7.5 degrees. I will do that today and see what happens. My only concern was when we add chairs farther back as the service grows, that they will loose coverage.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:08:43 AM by Kristian Stevenson »
Kristian Stevenson

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:06 PM »

I think you should get a curtain to put on the wall behind the stage to absorb the sound from the wedges and any acoustic instruments you might put up there.  Also will look a bit nicer.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »

As far as turning the speakers down, the KW series has an adjustable pole mount that allows the mains to be turned down 7.5 degrees. I will do that today and see what happens. My only concern was when we add chairs farther back as the service grows, that they will loose coverage.

7.5-degrees is not a whole lot but it will certainly help.

While I am guessing what the vertical coverage is, it does not appear that you will lose coverage to the back rows due to this tilt.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »

I forgot to mention (and I'm not sure if you can tell in the pictures) that the gym walls are carpet covered 10ft up along with the front face of the balcony. Taylor, I am also in favor of a back curtain to absorb stage sound and ad lighting effects. We are working on getting some ladies in the church to sow us up some stage skirts 8) so maybe they can do that as well.
Kristian Stevenson

Robert Sims

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:03:36 AM »

Kristian,
Looks like a good start. What are you mixing with? I have a K series for the youth very similar and put a Presonus 16 Ch. on the other end and used Aux to feed the subs. I figured the factory had worked out the crossovers and timing. I'm very happy with the results, and the youth love recording and post mixing. Getting ready to do another but I'm considering the Mackie HD and HDA speakers and 24 channels for a video venue church start up. 

What do you have on the stage? The two missing stage pieces behind the speakers is a little scary.

Robert

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

Thanks Robert! I am using an older Mackie 32 channel analog, 4 subgroups, 6 aux sends. My goal when we get enough funds is to get the Presonus 24.4.2. How do you like your 16?? Currently, I am sending signal to the subs via a post fader aux send. There is a Mackie Mixer Amp on stage in the picture that I am using to power the wedges. I'm coming out of the FOH mixer with a pre fader aux send and going into one of the channels on the mixer amp. I don't have a spare amp for the wedges right now. And yes, we are hoping to get 2 more pieces of stage before the service begins next month ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:27:56 AM by Kristian Stevenson »
Kristian Stevenson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.