ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTE MY FOLLOWUP DJ's in contemporary worship?  (Read 12932 times)

Hansel Anasarias

Re: NOTE MY FOLLOWUP DJ's in contemporary worship?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 05:50:39 PM »

Wow...this is quite interesting,

It does not say in the bible, thou shalt not scratch during worhsip time.  Seriously though, there is a time and place for everything.  If your church is open to that kind of worship, I say go right ahead and do it.  Music exists because it's meant to worship the Lord, and if that's how you or anyone wants to worship the Lord they should do so.  Scratching is like a like a guitar solo.  It's an accessory to the music.
It is also a cultural and possibly an age issue.  Most elderly people can't even hang with drums in worship. (time and place for everything).  Some churches aren't cool with it, but if yours is, and it glorifies God, go ahead, but don't let it become offensive to people.  Plus, different styles of music attract more people to church.  The word and the worship/music is what draws people  in.  That's my $.02  

-Laters
(hope i make sense)

James Turner

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 03:57:10 AM »

Don't know if this is appropriate but if anyone is interested to see what using DJ's and Rap is like in worship then we have 29th Chapter coming back on 24th July in SW london.

(PM me for more info)

James

Stuie

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:30:41 PM »

As a soundguy and a guitarist im really curious as to how do DJ fit into the mix? Do they use samples and beats and add them in at there discretion. Does the FOH mixer add and reduce whats needed.

Sounds cool when are you Christian DJ come down under?
Most of the people in our church are from nightclubs and our services are alot more lively than most in the area. In our case the DJ would be a real asset.

Sounds unreal, 20 years ago a distorted guitar would be frowned upon but now in the worship common place. I get the EYE from our music director when im running my rig clean (Hey stuie wheres the gunt). Maybe the church can do remixes how cool would that be.

For all you squares who cant handle anything outside of your personal boundaries Wake up, God is doing a new thing. All you Christian DJ spin that disc for the master.

Cheers
Stuie

nullset

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 07:19:51 AM »

like i said before, if you're interested in christian dance culture/music/etc, check out www.tastyfresh.com

also, www.myxrecords.com , and www.dancechapel.com

ttyl,

--buddy

Patrick (from Houston)

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 02:59:32 PM »

Stuie wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 20:30

As a soundguy and a guitarist im really curious as to how do DJ fit into the mix? Do they use samples and beats and add them in at there discretion. Does the FOH mixer add and reduce whats needed.

Sounds cool when are you Christian DJ come down under?
Most of the people in our church are from nightclubs and our services are alot more lively than most in the area. In our case the DJ would be a real asset.

Sounds unreal, 20 years ago a distorted guitar would be frowned upon but now in the worship common place. I get the EYE from our music director when im running my rig clean (Hey stuie wheres the gunt). Maybe the church can do remixes how cool would that be.

For all you squares who cant handle anything outside of your personal boundaries Wake up, God is doing a new thing. All you Christian DJ spin that disc for the master.

Cheers
Stuie

discussion of philosophies  of what worship is or isn't aside, i'd like to address this both as a DJ who has played in a worship band, and as a sound engineer.  

as a DJ, my view is  that playing samples and using effects to shape the sounds of the samples is little different than playing an electronic keyboard (which plays samples as well since it is not acoustic).  with a keyboard you can chooose the notes in real time, whereas as a Dj what you play is often arranged and rythmed in advance.  as for scratching, i view it as very similar to percussion.  coming from a producer background and with about 12 years of classical music training and music theory, what i play is very musical.  i think of it as a mix between percussion, an 'effects guitar' and a keyboardist.  but then i'm making music, not just going "wicky-wick" to sound cool.  

as a sound tech, i'd say with a DJ, especially one who uses turntablism (scratching) to compress it a lot.  the volume of the scratching is almost always several Db above the original source material volume, and can be disturbing when the sample needs to be heard, and then they begin scratching and the volume jumps 20 Db or so.  also, as a sound guy, i'd recommend keeping in mind when the samples are simply background material, and when they are more integral to the songs.  think like a producer and make your mixes musical and overall appealing, and the particular instruments aren't important as much as that the music we're putting out provides an atmosphere condusive to the congregation worshipping.

that is all, for now at least.

mcgofy

Re: There is no Christian Music
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 12:51:04 AM »

Wow!

I am considering starting a dj led worship service at our church on saturday nights.  This forum is very informative and interesting!!

Worship is for God?  Hmmmm. That is right, but we are not talking about just worship, we are talking about MUSIC.  As another noted, there is NO christian music, there are only christian lyrics!!  RIGHT. You mean that when we sing well or play great music, God is happier than when we bite?  Oh, God looks at the heart.....Then quality or style couldn't make a difference!!!

Music is simply a tool that WE use to help people "open up" their hearts to God!  Even the secular world realizes this, and takes GREAT contemporary culture reaching music and adds EVIL lyrics!!  That is what makes music so important, and allows these secular musicians to get their messages over so powerfully to this culture.  Christians need to take GREAT, culturly applicable music, which will open up peoples souls to reach their heart, and add GOD'S WORD, which is what changes people.  It is all about getting people to recieve GOD's WORD, and DJ,Hip Hop, Rock, Funk, Classical, Folk, R and B, Country, musics are tools that we can use!

Look, don't let the enemy keep robbing God's people from using every tool out there to reach the lost, and to equip the saints for service.  The "legalists" out there will always hate it, and will always use foolish arguments against it.  

Vince

Re: There is no Christian Music
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 11:22:54 AM »

mcgofy wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 23:51

Worship is for God?  Hmmmm. That is right, but we are not talking about just worship, we are talking about MUSIC.  As another noted, there is NO christian music, there are only christian lyrics!!  

I see a lot of confusion when people only look at worship through their own cultural eyes, and only listen for their own cultural language. God is pursuing the heart of a multi-pierced urban goth with the same desire as he is pursuing any suburban Young Life kid. When you do a praise song in drop-D with a MESA triple-rectifier, playing for a group that it speaks to, you are preaching the gospel in Sumaria 2004, in the local language. No more, and no less.

mcgofy wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 23:51

You mean that when we sing well or play great music, God is happier than when we bite?  Oh, God looks at the heart.....Then quality or style couldn't make a difference!!!

God looks at the heart and the heart alone, but your conclusion doesn't follow. Quality and style without heart for God is at the core of sociatal rot and moral decline. Seen M-TV lately? What they do they do very well, with LOTS of "style"

If you have the skills to "sing well or play great music" with "quality and style" and don't, then where is your heart? Is God Glorified?  Embarassed

If you have the skills to "sing well or play great music" with "quality and style" and you do but it's all about you, then where is your heart? Is God Glorified? Embarassed

Whether you do or don't have the skills to "sing well or play great music" with "quality and style" and maybe you "bite" but you are giving God the best that you've got, then where is your heart? Is God Glorified?    Nod  

Now if you "bite" and there are others with the heart and skills to fill the roll better, you could be in the wrong area of ministry. But in that case it would be about you again and your heart isn't right. Right?  Embarassed  

So I encourage you to give your best to God, with quality and style if you've got it to give, and in a language that the locals can understand and be receptive too. And I'll do my best to do the same ...  Wink

Have peace and be blessed,
Vince <><

thaddaeus

• http://rex-pro.com
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 05:58:42 PM »

"scratching" is an art most cannot do well in, it involves both the dj and the sound tech to make it sound listenable for a live or recorded preformance, going back to the David Crowder Band.  In there cd "can you here us?" the track "God of wrath" they used scraches and placed them more in the background, in the same song recorded live on "The Lime CD" the scratches are brought more to the front and it got a little anoying, same scratches, just not mixed very well.  On the djing thing, crowder and Christ Tomlin both uses samples and synths and so forth in their contemporary music, and it sounds great, it gets my youth group worshiping like crazy.  

The problem is, when a Church wants to implement or test somthing out, they either use the best or the worst.  By using the best they then need to spend money on that idea, which after the funding runs out they then get left with the worst, by using the worst, they save money but the idea stips dead in its tracks.  Right now for the past year we have been testing contemporary like music for one of the services.  The musicians we have are getting paid, with the exception of a couple who volunteer.  We arn't about to let someone who cannot play or sing into the band for obvious reasons (it would fail) but we need some of the congregation to step forward and show us their skills.  There are people out there listening that would mostlikely love to play with us and hae the ability, but won't for one reason or another.

If you can find people in the church who can DJ and preform, then let them, not only will it save you money, but could change the minds of some people.  The more people know the actual artists when trying something new, the more likely people will agree upon it....if anything i wrote confuses you i'm sorry, (it partially confused me too) i don't useually write in completethoughts...Smile
If it can't be done in linux, it shouldn't be done.

nmiller84

Re: OOPS Lets steer this more in the right direction!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2004, 04:06:38 PM »

Scott R wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 10:46

Guys,

Sorry about that.  Either the guidelines were'nt up at this forum when I posted this or I missed them.  In my zest to get it going I kinda got off what's intended.  Maybe I can re-aim this. When David Crowder was here I was busy enough that I didn't notice how they were implementing everything into the system.  Maybe somebody's seen if they're coming out of a submixer or running units directly into a DI.

Thanks!

If I remeber correctly when DCB was at my church the DJ had his own sub mixer and we just got the main outs.  Hope that answers it.

-Nathan

yam4000vca Jim Gould

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2004, 05:19:43 PM »

Well I am not so sure that God has anything against scratching. I do, as I persoanlly do not care for it, but that is me. I will say that it takes a talent to do it well. It takes talent to do anything well though. Some people do not mix well but they still go at it.
There are many types of what most people call Christian music.
I have had the pleasure to mix live Phil Keagy with the Glass Harp. Now some may say that the music is not Christian music per se but it does have a positive message.  It may not be for every type of church but it is what it is and I call it good music no matter what some may want to call it.
To speak to another point that was in this thread I see no problem with not letting people who are truly players on the platform to play. In my design and consulting work it has been made a lot harder and more expensive because there were a lot of people on the platform that as far as thier musical addition to the presentation did not belong there. They made the system need more channels and more monitors usually for dubios results.
If a pastor gave a terrible sermon and was not up to the job they would probably not be around long as well. Same thing applies to the players in my view.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2004, 05:19:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.