ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help wiring up Neutrik 1/4" TRS for inserts  (Read 13302 times)

eclectic-ken

Re: Help wiring up Neutrik 1/4" TRS for inserts
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 01:14:06 PM »

Thank you JR and Andrew.

DOH! Andrew, you're right--I meant to write "middle cup is ring" just as you point out . . . (shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, slam (sound of ken heading out the door to Radio Shack for a multimeter . . .))

I'm very glad for this forum.  The Neutrik .pdf file on this particular plug just plain makes no sense based on what I've gleaned from this thread.

Thanks everyone.  I'll be doing the install over the next week, starting after church this sunday--so I've got a few days to get all my interconnects soldered.

Ken.
Ken Truitt

Alex-Skip-Welti

• http://www.CreationAudioLabs.com
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 08:24:41 AM »

You wrote:
"I don't make a "wye" style cable. I run a single 2 conductor shielded cable from the TRS to TS #1 and connect the shield and the tip lead in that one. Within that connector I solder a length of inshielded 20 gauge wire to the ring lead and heat-shrink it. This runs out the strain relief with the main cable, and solders to the tip of TS #2. It does not have any strain relief, but so far I have had no failures and everything has worked noise free."

I have to pipe-in on this...  because I did this once and ran into problems...  When I tried it, the client called me back and complained something just didn't sound right with his FX.  He hooked up the beautiful new mogami snake I made, then he hooked up his old Radio Shack insert cables and my snake didn't sound as good.  But, if you listened to my snake by itself it sounded OK, it wasn't until we made a side-by-side comparison that you could tell there was a problem.

The problem is the two conductors in most cables are twisted together, and the signal couples (cross-talks) from one to the other.  There will be some time-lag though the FX unit and the "return" signal will be slightly out of "sync" with the send signal and this will cause subtle phase-cancellations and distortion.

I had to get another piece of mogami and rebuild the snake so the sends and returns were inside separate shields - you can buy cable that has separately shielded conductors (not twisted together) and that works too.

eclectic-ken

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 07:21:39 PM »

following up on Andrew's suggestion for a multimeter--multimeter says:

middle cup is tip
top contact is ring
bottom half is sleeve

For those just as uninformed as me.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Ken.
Ken Truitt

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 07:21:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.