ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTE MY FOLLOWUP DJ's in contemporary worship?  (Read 12928 times)

Scott Raymond (Scott R)

• http://Scott R
NOTE MY FOLLOWUP DJ's in contemporary worship?
« on: April 16, 2004, 01:27:06 PM »

Well someone had to kick this forum off! Smile

Just wondering if many of you are using DJ type stuff like scratching in your worship context yet.  We are a small Church but have been using contemporary worship services for a couple years now. (E drums, E and accoustic guitars, piano, keys and percussion.  I just got an email last week about having someone in next week at practice relating to DJing.  We've recently had David Crowder here at the theatre and one of his band members was doing some scratching type of stuff.  Personally I think it belongs in Rap and Hip Hop type music (which we aren't doing) but I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.

Chris Everett

Re: DJ's in contemporary worship?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 03:07:25 PM »

First post on new forums!!!

I've heard of DJ led worship (in the U.K., I think) But I don't know any details.  I've heard Christian Techno, and I saw an article just yesterday on Christian nightclubs...  I don't see anything wrong with turntables being used as an instrument in a contemporary worship setting, but there's not much Christian music out there that uses them to cover...

My .0002 cents

david423

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 02:19:47 AM »

I personally think that scratching has no place in comtemporary worship. Its stupid and it is not musical. You want to scratch your praises to God????? No, i don't.

I think there is a time and a place for everything. I can't even stand a lot of electric guitar in my worship mix. Yes, it is good and can be done, but only tastfully. Worship bands are popping up like wildflowers everywhere and are soon on their way to being just like garage bands. Lots of distortion, huge bass, drums just banging, and the lead singer yelling. I personally like the more acoustic approach to worship. I think it is contemporary but also shows reverence. My worship band has an electric guitar, but he plays with taste and very musically. No distortion, just a sort of reverb type jazz sound. Some solos, nothing big, just blended in. That is about as far into the rock world that i want to go.

I heard David Crowder just this past tuesday night at a local private Baptist college, I didn't really care for their music. But I don't like the dance-beat, techno stuff anyway. This is just my personal opinion and we all know "opinions are like buttholes, we all got one, some just stink more than others"

David T

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 08:34:32 AM »

david423 wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 02:19

some just stink more than others"

David T

Actually none of them smells good.  What is cool to me can be offensive to you and vise-versa.  God is not limited by our personal taste.  If people can be blessed by wailing guitars then God is not going to reject them because it's too "rock-n-roll".  The same arguments you make have been and continue to be used against any form of contemporary worship.  I can imagine Gregorian singers railing against harmony a few hundred years back with similar comments.

The bible says to make a joyful noise unto the Lord with clanging of gongs, etc.  No particular worship style is inherently more holy or pleasing to God than another.

Phil

bottyburp

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 10:15:06 AM »

Gosh! David T
You have a very small minded view of worship.

What is worship?

Can we worship in our giving?
can we worship in our serving?
Can we worship in our Jobs?

Is worship limited to one style of music, NO that would mean God is limited too.

If we limit worship to one style then we will segregate a whole portion of the human race. Culture plays an important part in the way we worship and so it should.
Around the world there are many cultures with there own styles of music.
Also there are subcultures within these different countries. Let’s look at US
Here you will see subcultures Espanic Creek Mexican, Afro Caribbean, Dutch, Irish (Celtic), Native American.
Within these cultures there are different styles of music which are listened to.
There is rap, techno, dance, rock country celtic classical blues jazz indie Hindi Latino
We could go on and on with the different styles.

All cultures and subcultures should be free to worship God in whatever style they like. This would allow anybody the freedom to worship God no matter what culture they are part of. Nobody has the right to dictate what worship should be.
Many people do not even step inside a church because they feel it has nothing relevant to say to them. Music is another form of communication and has the ability to reach all ages’ cultures and subcultures if allowed to. Allow people the freedom to be creative in church and you will become a lot more relevant to a lot more people. Maybe you will even reach the lost!
Young people are some of the most creative people you will find. Their creativeness is God given and need to be encouraged. The best way to encourage this is to incorporate there creativity into the church, in all aspects of church life, this means the worship too.

It is important not to limit what we see as worship or a worship style. Music was created for all to worship God with; also we were created to be creative. So to be creative in our worship of God is the very thing God intended us to do. It would be foolish to put limits on the gifts God has given us.

Scott Raymond (Scott R)

• http://Scott R
OOPS Lets steer this more in the right direction!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 11:46:29 AM »

Guys,

Sorry about that.  Either the guidelines were'nt up at this forum when I posted this or I missed them.  In my zest to get it going I kinda got off what's intended.  Maybe I can re-aim this. When David Crowder was here I was busy enough that I didn't notice how they were implementing everything into the system.  Maybe somebody's seen if they're coming out of a submixer or running units directly into a DI.

Thanks!

James Turner

Re: OOPS Lets steer this more in the right direction!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 02:44:53 PM »

Hi,

I've just finished working on Easter People here in the UK.

I was working on Video in the 14-18's venue.

One of the points of this week was to demonstrate to some of the youngsters that you can worship in many different ways.

Our house band was
Nevertheless {Lead & Vox} {Keys & Rap} {Bass} {Drums}  

we also had

Replenish,
Yfriday,{Gtr & Vox} {Bass} {Keys, Vox & Gtr} {Drums}
Supervision
29th Chapter. Hip hop {4 Guys Rap over track}

Every band had a different style, Nevertheless were a hard rock band - they were completly different when they did their evening concert to when they were leading the worship during the day, Then they were laid back - unassuming going where the mood took the service, sometimes playing with the DJ who did a bit of scratching where appropriate or mixed an atmospheric track to underpin speakers and prayers.

It was a very good event with different styles being demonstrated and everyone hopefuly went home remembering something different and thinking something different.

At home I've worked with 29th Chapter a number of times and AFG Nexus - both hip-hop groups who lead worship in a different way to how young eople expect in SW London.

James

Billy Merrill

Re: There is no Christian Music
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 05:02:51 PM »

There is no Christian Music, just Christian lyrics.

All music belongs to God. So is the DJ, band, group, etc.  making music or noise? Music is pleasing to the ear, while most of use would would not tolerate noise for very long.

If we consider why we have Praise and Worship songs, then you come to what Worship is about. Worship is about God, not about us. A singer is singing to the Lord, a musician is playing to the Lord, not for themselves or our entertainment. Look beyond what the musician is doing and look to why they are doing it. If they have a true commitment to Christ, then one should not question what instrument they play, or how they play it. We then have a choice, is this the manner that I can Worship God? If so, stay and join they, if not then one must go else where.

In His Service,

Billy

Cool

Susie

Who's worship for?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 03:14:45 PM »

As we all know, worship is not for our benefit, but for God's. Common sense tells me that the style of music someone would listen to on their stereo at home is likely to be similar to the style of worship they feel most comfortable with.  But I have found that some of the times when I have felt God's presence most intensely have been when I pushed through the fact I didn't really like a style and worshiped God anyway, because he's worth it. His command is to make a joyful noise to the Lord - and because he made us all different, that joyful noise won't be the same for everyone.  I could never dare to say that someone who is tone deaf is any less of a worshiper than the most accomplished singer in the world.

My church basically have your run of the mill band setup for Sunday mornings, although the 5 different morning worship leaders all have very different styles and approaches to leading the congregation.  As well as manning FOH for some services, I also sing in one of the worship teams and although I would say 50% of the songs I would not choose to sing at home in my devotional time, I get over it and sing anyway, because its not about me.

Sometimes our church has student specific evening services and these sometimes have DJ-led worship.  The style is not my personal choice but it would be for a lot of the under 25s getting saved and going to church for the first time, because Matt Redman is far more alien to them than decks.

Regarding James 's comments about having a variety of styles at an event such as Easter people; I think its a really good idea.  By having just one style for a whole week's event, you risk alienating a section of the congregation who don't like it.  God gave 29th Chapter the gift of rap in the same way he gave yfriday their musicianship, and inner city urban culture will be able to relate to that style far more than guitar led worship. Its the heart behind something that makes it pleasing to God.
The bottom line is that God created us with diversity.

nullset

Re: NOTE MY FOLLOWUP DJ's in contemporary worship?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:34 AM »

If you're interested in christian electronic music, i'd recommend that you visit www.tastyfresh.com

ttyl,

--buddy

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: NOTE MY FOLLOWUP DJ's in contemporary worship?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.