ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which boxes for this 500 cap room?  (Read 10003 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Re: Which boxes for this 500 cap room?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »

Yea It looking like shooting some into the wall is gonna be unavoidable as we'll probably wind up with a 60 degree box. I suspect we're gonna change the hang in the room and hopefully we can get something w/o TOO much combing and problem reflections. We're shopping for used at the moment so unfortunately we can't be too picky. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good used stuff out there at the moment and the calendar is looming on us. I don't think a 120 pattern will be too problematic. We've been dealing with awful floor and ceiling reflections up till now because the old JBL tops are flown sideways and the so the horns are oriented 40x120!
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

DBA

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »

Marsellus,

Would a pair of 90* or greater degree higher output boxes get you where you need?   Something like a pair of KF-850?   But thinking on it,  those boxes are huge.

Im just trying to think of something that would keep you from having to use 4 boxes. 

Im just using the KF-850 as an example,  but I really don't care for how they sound.  They get up and get really loud but I think they suck SQ wise. 

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »

Marsellus,

Would a pair of 90* or greater degree higher output boxes get you where you need?   Something like a pair of KF-850?   But thinking on it,  those boxes are huge.

Im just trying to think of something that would keep you from having to use 4 boxes.

Bad example - 850's are 55degree boxes, so he'd have to use 4 total to get the necessary width of coverage - and it'd be massive overkill in size, weight etc.

If there was such as thing as a 90 deg version of that class of speaker, then maybe, but most speakers designed like that are also designed with narrower coverage to allow use of more than one or two per side.

Cheers,
David.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

Am surprised that 850 is that wide.... most box's like that are 25 - 35 degrees. JBL SRX725 are quite wide & loud :)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »

Am surprised that 850 is that wide.... most box's like that are 25 - 35 degrees. JBL SRX725 are quite wide & loud :)

If "most" large format speakers from the 1980s are 25 - 35 degrees would you include a link to some information about them?

Mac

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »

I said ''Am surprised that 850 is that wide.... most box's like that are 25 - 35 degrees'' never said anything about a date....

RES 5 - 25 degrees
MSL 4 - 35 degrees
Void Prime - 25 degrees
etc etc

chuck clark

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »

It's hard to go wrong w/ QRX Or SRX, but have you looked at Looked  at Turbo TDX? The reason I suggest is they come in a 60 degree horn. Another spkr that I've had wonderful results with is the Community SLS stuff.
You'll want some subs but that shouldn't be a problem with your moderate volume requirements.
I recently did a 2000 seater with a blues act with a pair of the TXD turbo's and some Peavey sp 218 subs. That's a 90 degree horn w/ 3" voice coil per side for highs, 2 15's w/ 3" voice coils for mids per side and 2 18's w/ 4" voice coils for lows per side. A dbx driverack and 2 QSC PLX 3402's for power. Bi-amped between the subs and tops and crossed at about 80 hz. Eq to taste and no fancy settings. Almost too easy. All happy- muso's, promoters and me.  Not the loudest rig, but a full rich quality that pleased all.
-Oh, A &H 2400 out front. Happy sailing!

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »

Well we've bought 4 EAW LA 460's and they should be here Thursday. We'll hang 2 a side and power them passive for now off two bridged K2's for 1250watts per cab at 4 Ohms. It's a little more power then I'd like to feed them but that's not such a big problem. We'll bi-amp later when time allows. I would have rather had found some other MSL4's or some 650's but it wan't to be. We REALLY had to get moving on something.  I think we'll be happy with the 460's. They array well, have the SPL we need, it's a three way like we prefer and can be bi-amped or run passive. They're be a huge step up from what we've got and there's a few spare drivers around town if need be.

So if I'm to believe EAW's "Virtual Array Technology" I shouldn't have to splay these cabs at all to achieve good coverage w/o combing problems?

Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:21 AM »

Its called tight packing and i wouldn't worry to combing or phasing between cabinets no.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.