ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha StageMix, iPad, AirPort Express  (Read 76236 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: Yamaha StageMix, iPad, AirPort Express
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »

What kind of range are you guys getting out of these things?

I'm a 2000 seat kind-of-a-guy. Typically covers the venue.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »

I'm a 2000 seat kind-of-a-guy. Typically covers the venue.

Thats pretty cool. I've always discounted these things thinking that the range would be poor. I do 1000 pax clubs and the occasional 10-15k festival. I'm using a Cisco/Dlink router right now and the range has been great. I may look into one of these setups for my travel kit though. I really like the idea that the airtunes works.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »

Thats pretty cool. I've always discounted these things thinking that the range would be poor. I do 1000 pax clubs and the occasional 10-15k festival. I'm using a Cisco/Dlink router right now and the range has been great. I may look into one of these setups for my travel kit though. I really like the idea that the airtunes works.
An AirPort may be a good choice for the clubs, but for festival use you may want a more robust solution.  Ubiquiti gets a lot of love from our industry.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »

An AirPort may be a good choice for the clubs, but for festival use you may want a more robust solution.  Ubiquiti gets a lot of love from our industry.

Agreed. I run shows on the Express in small venues. Larger venues I don't think I'd use it past setup. It's really handy, though.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jeff D Johnson

• Motion 117 Productions
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »

What kind of range are you guys getting out of these things?

I switched to a linksys router for now - but I've never had any range problems before in our Club shows.  Never really tried them at festivals or larger venues.  We've been good up to 2,500 person venues; and even then I've monitored our Senny G3 IEMs over that network from FOH at festivals. 

Check some other threads out though - I have never had a problem, but there are some people who claim to have issues with iPad going out of range and having trouble with an M7 - I have never had that problem and I have a church I mix at that uses the stagemix app every week, but some folks have.  Might want to test it out, but my hunch is that they are either trying to run studio manager and StageMix on the same console (not supported) or stuff isn't up to date. 

Good luck!

Michael {Bink} Knowles

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »

Anybody using this system for CL3 or CL5 yet? I'm very much interested in hearing some user's experience.

-Bink

John Ayala

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 06:19:08 PM »

Apple has put out an iOS app that can configure their tiny n band Airport Express Wifi router, making this a pretty sweet setup for the M7 and LS9. No computer needed.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8

I'm not a network guru, and I will happily take corrections and improvements on my procedure, but this is what got it working for me on an AirPort Express model A1264 and an iPad running iOS 5.

Don't plug in the Airport Express yet. On the iPad, get into Settings|Wi-Fi.

The Airport Express' reset button is a little soft dot above the USB and 1/8" output jacks. Press it in with something while you plug the AirPort Express in to power, and hold the reset button until the LED starts flashing yellow. This will completely wipe the Airport Express to default settings. Release the reset, and it should go solid yellow. After a while, it flashes slowly, and then the iPad should give you a selection to Set up an AirPort Base Station. Select the AirPort Express. Name the Network whatever makes sense to you, and give it a password. Tap Next. This will get you the Waiting for Internet access screen. Tap next. It'll warn you that there's no Internet connection. Tap Continue Anyway, wait for the iPad to join the new network, and tap Done.

The single ethernet port on the Airport Express (AE) is normally set up as a WAN port, meaning the AE looks for the internet on that jack. You have to turn off most of the functions in the AE, putting it in bridge mode, for it to see your mixer there instead.

Run Airport Utility on your iPad, and select your AE. It will have 1 or 2 red Status messages relating to no Internet.
Tap Status Messages, and Ignore this issue for each one.
Tap Edit.
Tap Advanced, then DHCP and NAT.
Turn off Provide Addresses and NAT Service.
Tap Done, Done, and Done.
You should get an Update Settings popup. Tap Update.
When AirPort Utility is done updating, run the Settings app on your iPad.
Under Settings|Wi-Fi|name of your network|IP Address, choose Static, and give it an address close to your mixer's address.
The default Yamaha mixer address is 192.168.0.128, so I use 192.168.0.129.
Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0.
Go back to Wi-F- Networks and you should be connected.
Fire up StageMix, and you should be good to go.

Airplay works, too, so you play music from the iPad to the mixer via wifi just by cabling from the AE's mini jack to the mixer. In the iOS 5 Music app, there's an icon of a triangle poking up into a rectangle in the top right coner. Tap that, select your Airport Express, and turn the volume up.

You should only have to do this once.

The AE does a decent job of finding clear channels in Automatic mode, so I don't specify a WiFi channel. If connection issues crop up during the course of a day, the wireless situation around you may have changed. Unplug the AE and plug it in again. This will force it to recheck the available frequencies.

I'm puzzled that the Airport Express' own IP address doesn't seem to matter, but I couldn't get a change to it to stick, and everything works anyway.

I haven't tried to do anything with the USB jack. It complains if I try to charge my phone or iPad on it, which is kind of unfortunate. That would be really convenient.

Please post if I've got any of this wrong, or if you've got better settings.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to do this with my Airport Extreme and have two questions. While configuring the AE in bridge mode with a self assigned ip, it is demanding a router number. The demo video I watched didn't show one. is it necessary and if so, what do I enter. After configuring the AE, you go back to the iPad settings to enter the ip. My ipad recognizes the AE and shows the settings window and allows me to change the ip but I don't get any "bars" showing connection. Are the bars necessary?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber