ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic over twisted pair  (Read 12073 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Mic over twisted pair
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »

Well if I use a modular connection (RJ45), I can add and decrease length as needed rather than having a cable trunk filled with half the snake or having a huge figure 8 on the floor.

Big deal.  Instead you'll introduce additional points of failure.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »

Big deal.  Instead you'll introduce additional points of failure.

+1 Tim

If you really want to use cat5 cable get a converter box on each end and run the signals digitally.

For analogue runs I suggest you get 6-12 channel snakes... instead you are reinventing a wheel. If you need convenient disconnects try the W1 connection by whirlwind, Elco, ramlatch, amphenol, and probably a dozen more companies all have solutions to lessen the number of xlrs you plug each day. But I would forget the hassel of custom building a frankenstein with the fragile plastic rj45 connectors.

Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »

We have done this to facilitate those acts that have a "money channel" at FOH but we are using our Vi6 with a cat5 snake. We built a couple boxes that used steel dual gang back boxes with an XLR plate on it. Mount a male and female for each XLR channel, 2 channels per cat5 plus an Ethercon jack. You could just as well use it for 2 sends or 2 returns.

It let us run a send/return from the stage so those guys could tweak their magic box from FOH. It works fine, but we use it pretty rarely too. You might want a nicer looking box for your gigs, but the old electrical back box works fine and is bulletproof.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:19:12 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

alan hamilton

• Hamilton Systems
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 12:26:09 AM »

I know it has been mentioned in other posts regarding line levels over cat5e, but is it possible to run mics over cat5e?

I've found reinventing the wheel usually costs more either up front or in the long run and ends up with unexpected issues making you realize why everyone does things a certain way in the first place...

Get the multipair and be done with it is my advice...

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:24 AM »

http://www.etslan.com/

Check out the ETS Instasnake stuff.  You can run 4 mics down a single Cat5 using their passive boxes. If you use shielded Cat cable, you can use phantom power.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »

I know it has been mentioned in other posts regarding line levels over cat5e, but is it possible to run mics over cat5e? The reason I ask is I run sound and lighting for a DJ with live percussion at school dances and my FOH booth is usually on the opposite end of the gym. Our cabling is normally run along rigged truss at distances of 75-150'. Generally I've been running line levels (DJ mixer, returns) via cat5e but now the percussionist is a regular thing and we run 4 mics for his kit. I was wondering if it's possible to run 2 mics per cat5e (pair 1- mic 1/3, pair 2- mic 2/4 pairs 3/4- pin 1 ground --respective to which cat5e cable) with 2 cat5e cables. I feel it would be easier to run 3 cat5e's than to lug along my 150' 24/4 snake. All cat5e is STP for what it's worth. Also, Our cams for power are run on a separate truss so there is no interference other than a L5-20 cable run for our sound board, laptop, and lighting board.

Thanks in advance!

Try it, then you'll know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:08:22 AM by Jamin Lynch »

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »

Another advantage of a small snake (~12 channels) over analogue cat5 runs is spare channels when something goes wrong or they bring a horn section etc...
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Tim Kerbavaz

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »

http://www.etslan.com/

Check out the ETS Instasnake stuff.  You can run 4 mics down a single Cat5 using their passive boxes. If you use shielded Cat cable, you can use phantom power.
I second this, if for no other reason than that I want to hear how they work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.