ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 208v from 120v edisons?  (Read 42598 times)

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
Re: 208v from 120v edisons?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »

You likely need two separate hots to run them

I assume they have a l6-15 connector, if so, they're wired hhn, not hng so will not work with anything outside of the proper service

Also, Putting a 208v atomic into low power mode does not change the voltage required to run it, it only drops the amperage of the fixture.

Whoops, I'll stick to audio. We have a handful of them at the warehouse and they are set up for single phase, just ASSumed that was something one could configure. Shows my lighting knowledge there.

James Feenstra

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »

Negative. A L6-15/20/30 device is two hots and a ground. If the unit needs 208~230 volts in the US, it needs two hots and of course will have a ground.

The tabbed locking blade in the device is the grounding blade.
yes sorry your right, hhg not hhn

the hots return power from the opposite hots as opposed to returning down a neutral line
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »

Agreeing with everybody here, attempting to get 208 volts from a bunch of 110 volt outlets is hazardous and flat out wrong and not allowed by any electrical code.

While I would generally agree with you Paul, there does appear to be an exception that proves the rule.  Since it's made by Hubbell, I would assume that it is "legal":

http://www.nextag.com/Hubbell-YQ-230-SMART-85347739/prices-html

It seems that what is going on is that the box has some logic inside to not power the outlet unless power is present on both incoming feeds, thereby removing the hazard of such "cheater cords" where one plug becomes live when the other is plugged in (with a load also plugged in).  It's not exactly cheap, and they only seem to have a 30A version, not 15 or 20.

GTD

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

While I would generally agree with you Paul, there does appear to be an exception that proves the rule.  Since it's made by Hubbell, I would assume that it is "legal":

http://www.nextag.com/Hubbell-YQ-230-SMART-85347739/prices-html

It seems that what is going on is that the box has some logic inside to not power the outlet unless power is present on both incoming feeds, thereby removing the hazard of such "cheater cords" where one plug becomes live when the other is plugged in (with a load also plugged in).  It's not exactly cheap, and they only seem to have a 30A version, not 15 or 20.

GTD

I do not think we are talking about the same think. This is a splitter from 2 x 125 to 1 x 250.

Othmane

Brian Larson

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I kind of figured this would be a bad idea but I thought I would ask anyway.

The strobes were being sold without connectors.

Cheers!

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »

I do not think we are talking about the same think. This is a splitter from 2 x 125 to 1 x 250.

Othmane

Sorry that link was not very descriptive.  This should be better:

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-v-datasheet.asp?FAM=Marine&PN=YQ230

Its output connector is a 50A, 3 pole, but it can only supply 30A.

If the strobes don't draw too much current, a step-up transformer is probably still the most practical way to do this.

GTD

James Feenstra

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:09 AM »

a step up transformer will not give you two hots and a ground from a single phase 15a connector that's wired hng, no matter how you wire it
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

paul bell

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 02:56:18 AM »

a step up transformer will not give you two hots and a ground from a single phase 15a connector that's wired hng, no matter how you wire it

Yes they do. You'll get two pins hot that read 220 volts across them and a ground referenced to the primary side, in this case the 110 volt source.

This is commonly done with transformers such as this:

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:10:03 AM »

That's exactly what the transformer will give you. Just like an audio transformer an electrical transformer will take the unbalanced voltage and make it a balanced voltage.

Mac

James Feenstra

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »

220v single phase is not the same as 208v 3 phase, which is what the lights will need

the ONLY way to get 208v 3 phase out of a single phase service is with a phase convertor...a transformer will not make single phase power magically into 3 phase power

if you stick a European plug on the light and plug it into a 220v Edison transformer, the light won't work, guaranteed. Try it if you like, but don't complain to me if your light blows up because of it.

and mac; audio is NOT 3 phase. An audio transformer (like a Passive DI box) in most cases comes in H/N and goes out H/N/G, it doesn't come out with two hots (aka stereo) from a mono source

this is the reason 1/8" jacks (which are TRS.....wired HHG) require TWO output cables (wired HNG) in order to get both sides of the signal. you can't stick a 1/8" TRS into a DI Box and get both halves of the signal, you'll only get one.

you can, however, go from 208v 3 phase to 120v single phase, which is incredibly easy and is done all the time, as you just tap off a single hot. If a 120v to 208v step up transformer exists, I'm unable to find one anywhere on the internet available for purchase.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:06:04 PM by James Feenstra »
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.