ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX 231 Noisy - yes. But ok for sub???  (Read 6911 times)

jamespgoodman

• www.londonlivesound.com
DBX 231 Noisy - yes. But ok for sub???
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »

Hello, I would like to insert a graphic eq in my aux fed sub to eliminate some feedback between the sub and the kick drum mic. I don't want to spend more than I need to, so I am considering the DBX 231. I've heard it can add a fair amount of hiss. But is this really going to be much of a problem on an aux fed sub? I would thinik most of those hissy frequencies are not in the frequency range of my sub. Many thanks in advance

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: DBX 231 Noisy - yes. But ok for sub???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

Hello, I would like to insert a graphic eq in my aux fed sub to eliminate some feedback between the sub and the kick drum mic........
Wrong tool for the job. Get a parametric.
With a graphic, the "offending" frequency will never be right at one of the center freq's, and the bandwidth of the needed change will suck the life out of the subs.
With a parametric, you can center the filter right on the freq, and with a narrow enough Q you will still leave some life with everything else.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

David Flowers

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »

With a graphic, the "offending" frequency will never be right at one of the center freq's, and the bandwidth of the needed change will suck the life out of the subs.
With a parametric, you can center the filter right on the freq, and with a narrow enough Q you will still leave some life with everything else.

I have had sucsess with gateing the offending mic,,kick or floor tom whatever. the gate will close befor the feedback loop can get started.

jamespgoodman

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »

Thankyou, nice response. But from what I have seen parametrics are more expensive. Any recommendations? As I am only affecting the kick drum feed to the sub, I shouldn't think I need the best quality, or least noisy eq??

jamespgoodman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »

Thankyou, nice response. But from what I have seen parametrics are more expensive. Any recommendations? As I am only affecting the kick drum feed to the sub, I shouldn't think I need the best quality, or least noisy eq??

Thankyou, good idea. Any recommendations for a cheapish gate for the kick that will do the job? Thanks

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »

"The right tool for the job" is not always the cheapest.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »

James....

You don't have to spend a lot to get a single channel PEQ.  You will have to buy used, though.  The Rane PE15 shows up used for very little money and works fine.  But it does have an outboard power supply.

There are also other alternatives which will function quite well as a PEQ, among them the Behringer FBX1100.  The drawback there is that the navigation is a bit cumbersome.  Behringer also makes a 5-band PEQ which I have not used but looks to be functional.  But I'd go for the Rane unit first.

As far as gates go, avoid going cheap.  A cheap gate just won't work or will be audible....which nobody wants.  The gates on comps like the DBX 266/166 just aren't up to the job either.  I'd agree that gating would likely take care of the problem and tighten up your sound and be  more useful in general.    Look for something like a Drawmer DS201 or MX40.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

jamespgoodman

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »

James....

You don't have to spend a lot to get a single channel PEQ.  You will have to buy used, though.  The Rane PE15 shows up used for very little money and works fine.  But it does have an outboard power supply.

There are also other alternatives which will function quite well as a PEQ, among them the Behringer FBX1100.  The drawback there is that the navigation is a bit cumbersome.  Behringer also makes a 5-band PEQ which I have not used but looks to be functional.  But I'd go for the Rane unit first.

As far as gates go, avoid going cheap.  A cheap gate just won't work or will be audible....which nobody wants.  The gates on comps like the DBX 266/166 just aren't up to the job either.  I'd agree that gating would likely take care of the problem and tighten up your sound and be  more useful in general.    Look for something like a Drawmer DS201 or MX40.

Thanks very much Dick, on all accounts.  shall def check out all these models. I'm disappointed to hear that the DBX 266/166 aren't up to the job either - as I've just had my eye on them (one channel for kick and one for lead vox). Will have to check out the drawmers. Thankyou very much for the advice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.