Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

How to wire in parallel and series/parallel w/ speakon cables

(1/2) > >>

Scott Carpenter:
I am new to the world of speakon cables (Only done home audio up until this point)

Which Speakon cables will I need to wire:

1: 2 JBL JRX125's in series/parallel into a bridged 4ohm load on a Behringer EP4000 amp

2: 2 JBL JRX115's in parallel into a single channel on a Behringer EP4000 amp (creating a 4ohm load)

3: 2 MACH M151i's in parallel into the other channel of the second Behringer EP4000 (creating a 4ohm load)

Here is a link to the M151's specs
http://www.martinpro.com/service/downloadfile.asp?name=SP_M151I_EN.pdf&cat=85

Thank you very much for your help

Mark Mattocks:
Scott,

1 - I don't know of a way to series/parallel 2 cabinets. Series/parallel is more commonly used with 4 drivers to keep impedance higher - 4 8ohm drivers in series/parallel will give you an 8ohm load.  With 2 cabinets, your options are series OR parallel.  In series, the two cabinets will give you a nominal 8ohms; in parallel, a nominal 2ohms. You would need to make a junction box or a funky 'Y' cable to series the cabinets and I don't think that is a good idea.

2 - You can parallel the cabinets by simply jumping through one cabinet to the other. Since the JRX series only have 1 NL4 and 1 1/4" as connectors, you would need to use the 1/4" jack as an input or a through.

3 - The same as above, but you need both in and out on NL4 cables.

Instead of jumping through cabinets, you could wire an output panel on your amp rack with parallel NL4 outputs.

George Dougherty:
+1 Daisy chain for parallel. 
Build a series capable adaptor box to handle series if you really need to.  I've always thought it better to just use another amp than up the voltage handling and power requirements with boxes in series.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Scott Carpenter on February 04, 2011, 04:08:47 PM ---I am new to the world of speakon cables (Only done home audio up until this point)

Which Speakon cables will I need to wire:

1: 2 JBL JRX125's in series/parallel into a bridged 4ohm load on a Behringer EP4000 amp
--- End quote ---

Series/parallel requires more than 2 speakers. Two speakers can be either in series, or in parallel.

Mac

Brad Weber:

--- Quote from: Scott Carpenter on February 04, 2011, 04:08:47 PM ---1: 2 JBL JRX125's in series/parallel into a bridged 4ohm load on a Behringer EP4000 amp

2: 2 JBL JRX115's in parallel into a single channel on a Behringer EP4000 amp (creating a 4ohm load)

3: 2 MACH M151i's in parallel into the other channel of the second Behringer EP4000 (creating a 4ohm load)
--- End quote ---
Two JRX125s can be wired together as an 8 Ohm load or a 2 Ohm load.  Why not just put one JRX125 per channel, the difference between 2,400W into two speakers and 950W for each speaker is 1dB.  And if you had one JRX per channel that's a maximum output of 130dB for each speaker while the max output for the JRX115s would be 125dB and the Mach 115s would be 127dB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version