ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer for house system in small bar  (Read 8101 times)

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
Mixer for house system in small bar
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:56:07 AM »

I'm looking for a mixer/preamp for a small bar install. They are currently using a home stereo receiver and it is a sound nightmare. They have 4 Alesis passive studio monitors and 4 Polk ceiling speakers which is fine for the space for now. I plan to have them purchase a couple power amps that can power the speakers properly without distorting like the receiver does but I need advice on what to use to replace the preamp section of the receiver.
Needed inputs are:
1. RCA inputs for XM Radio
2. RCA inputs from Direct TV box for sports games
I'd also like to add a 3rd set of RCA jacks for an ipod hookup, and I would like to be able to have inputs from the matrix out of the Allen Heath GL2400 used by bands on Fri and Sat nights. The bar has 2 rooms one with the actual bar and the other has a stage and tables to sit down. Openings were made in the brick wall separating the two rooms but the sound doesn't really cross the opening. The PA system has been separate from the "house system" but it would be nice if they could work together as fills at a low volume.
I think the biggest requirements are that it be simple to use and not too expensive. Pretty much just needs to have a few source selections and a volume control. Budget is probably a couple hundred dollars and getting something used would be great.
I don't have much experience in selecting gear for install use and I'd appreciate any help on what to tell them to buy.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Mixer for house system in small bar
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »

They are currently using a home stereo receiver and it is a sound nightmare. They have 4 Alesis passive studio monitors and 4 Polk ceiling speakers which is fine for the space for now. I plan to have them purchase a couple power amps that can power the speakers properly without distorting like the receiver does...

Eight speakers of unknown impedance on one home stereo?  What impedance is being presented to the amplifier?  I would address this issue first.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:23:40 AM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

Eight speakers of unknown impedance on one home stereo?  What impedance is being presented to the amplifier?  I would address this issue first.
The reciever is being replaced by a couple of QSC amps. I just need advice on what to use to control the volume and switch sources. Something similar to this:
http://www.samash.com/p/Gemini_PA7000%20Professional%20Line%20Preamp%20and%20Input%20Switcher_-49997196?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Routers-_-PA7000%20Professional%20Line%20Preamp%20and%20Input%20Switcher-_-GPA7000XX

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »

It might be nice to have fills in the rear room if you could properly delay, EQ and limit the signal for the 'fills' and also maybe changed out the speakers to something intended for that type of application, otherwise it is probably best to leave the systems separate.

Some basic questions.  How do the four studio monitors and four ceiling speakers relate to the two rooms?  Are the systems run mono or stereo?  Is the goal to always have the same source going to both rooms or to potentially be able to select different sources to each room?  Are you thinking switching between sources and then controlling the output level of the switcher, which means the levels potentially changing every time you switch between sources, or controlling the levels of the individual sources?

Depending on the answers to some of those these may be too simple but something like http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=543 or http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/model.asp?pid=132&sf=34 are probably available within the budget and are about as simple as you can get.  If you need two zones or want to adjust the level for the sources then you may have to go outside your budget for anything of decent quality.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »

Given the couple hundred buck cap, I'd consider this:

http://www.alesis.com/imultimix9r#1

iPod interface built in, two stereo channels (one is line/ipod) and five mic/line inputs for $199.  Don't walk, run from the Gemini.  There are better choices than the Alesis but you should do alright for the money.
This space for rent

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »

The two systems have been kept separate as of now. The bar room has a couple JBL control 28's as fills but they got fried. They need new woofers and crossovers that total $225. Thats money that could be used to fix the terrible house system. I know it seems odd when I say that the sound doesn't cross the wall to the other room but the only way the patrons in the bar room can hear the band is through the fills. They sound fine without delay because you can't hear the mains. The "band" room is set sound wise and would never need fills at the back.

No need to have a separate volume control on the different sources. The bartenders constantly turn up and down the volume depending on whether they like the song playing anyway.

The two rooms also would not ever need to have different sources playing. The ability to change the volume to the different zones would be a plus but not absolutely needed.

Simplicity is the key for this I think. I don't want them calling me at all hours because they can't figure out how to change a source or even turn it on. There's a different bartender every day of the week so someone is bond to get caught up by the technological upgrade.
Is there something simpler than the Alesis?

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »

Is there something simpler than the Alesis?

Is doesn't get much simpler than the RDL Brad recommnded above:

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=543

Around $150, dead simple and, as with most RDL products, damn near bullet proof.  Add an ipod dock and you're good to go. 

I would suggest that with a little training and a set of simple instructions laminated at the mixer, you could get a mixer that is much more verstile.  You're going to need the additional control, particularly when you start bringing FOH matrixes into the system.
This space for rent

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »

ART MX622 (previously the ART 416) should cover your needs. 3 stereo channels with RCA input, 3 mono channels with XLRs, high/low eq, effects loop. These are distributed and supported by Yorkville.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=153&cat=15&type=89
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »

I'm looking for a mixer/preamp for a small bar install. They are currently using a home stereo receiver and it is a sound nightmare. They have 4 Alesis passive studio monitors and 4 Polk ceiling speakers which is fine for the space for now. I plan to have them purchase a couple power amps that can power the speakers properly without distorting like the receiver does but I need advice on what to use to replace the preamp section of the receiver.
Needed inputs are:
I'd also like to add a 3rd set of RCA jacks for an ipod hookup, and I would like to be able to have inputs from the matrix out of the Allen Heath GL2400 used by bands on Fri and Sat nights. The bar has 2 rooms one with the actual bar and the other has a stage and tables to sit down. Openings were made in the brick wall separating the two rooms but the sound doesn't really cross the opening. The PA system has been separate from the "house system" but it would be nice if they could work together as fills at a low volume.
I think the biggest requirements are that it be simple to use and not too expensive. Pretty much just needs to have a few source selections and a volume control. Budget is probably a couple hundred dollars and getting something used would be great.
I don't have much experience in selecting gear for install use and I'd appreciate any help on what to tell them to buy.

It kind of blows your budget out of the water, but the DBX ZonePro 640 does everything you mentioned, and it has built in EQ, Limiting, and Xover to protect the speakers.  It has 4 RCA inputs for DTV, iPod, etc. and two XLR inputs for the band mix.  You're looking at close to a grand though. 

http://www.dbxpro.com/640/index.php

chuck clark

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »

[1. RCA inputs for XM Radio
I think the biggest requirements are that it be simple to use and not too expensive. Pretty much just needs to have a few source selections and a volume control. Budget is probably a couple hundred dollars

Jon, I hate to be the one to point this out, but when you ask the question: What has several RCA inputs plus
 a mic input or two and volume control on the inputs and a master output volume and is designed for NON-technical folks? The answer: Get a DJ mixer!!! HAHAHA!
There are tons of 'em, heck even the nearest Rat Shack one will "get r done"!!! ARARAR!
Have a great day-
Chuck

duane massey

Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »

Needed inputs are:

I've been very happy with any of the Yamaha MG series that I've owned, installed or sold to anyone.  I don't remember the exact model # but I had one that had 4 mic inputs 2 of the mic channels could also function as stereo inputs with 1/4" plugs and 2 stereo channels with RCA inputs.  You could set it up for 4 stereo RCA inputs + 2 mics with cheap 1/4" to RCA adapters from Radio Shack.

Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

MikeHarris

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »

Inputs dont seem to be an issue as much as remote zone controls.
Are these zones stereo ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.