ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Community hornflares  (Read 14627 times)

marc.bowers

Community hornflares
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »

All,

what can I do with such a hornflare in 2011 ?
What have they been used for in the past ?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Community hornflares
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »

All,

You can do the same thing with it that they have been used for in the past.  For a particular driver, they can make a particular bandwidth louder.

It seems obvious-but they were used for PA systems.

But there are so many other questions.  Do you only have the 1?  Is there someplace in your system that it could be used?  Do you have a proper driver for it? and so forth.

Nothing has really changed between now and then in regards to how horn loading works or is done.  The physics is the same.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »

All,

This is one of the "boxer" series that Community produced during the 1980's. When you bought the flare you also got a set of detailed drawings for building a box to enclose the flare and the driver. I built a few of these and they were pretty darn good.

If you do not have the model number, the size (diameter) of the circular opening will tell you which one it is. If for a 15" driver, the opening will be between 13"-14" (or thereabouts).

Check their website to see if they have the original plans. If not, contact them and ask.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

marc.bowers

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »

Already send a mail to Community

Well they are for 15" that is all I know !!

Would it make a sense to use them together with SLS960 / RS880 ?

marc.bowers

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »

My brother contacted Community, got a reply from them on a Sunday (that sure is service !!)

They will send me a plan on Monday.
They call it a BBH (Boxer Bass Horn).

Have up to 16 flares so I am trying to figure out what I can do with them in 2011.
Flares like this you do not see quite often these days ????

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

A very good product, but finding a use for may be a challenge. We used a few of the "boxer" series back in the day, and found them quite useful.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »

My brother contacted Community, got a reply from them on a Sunday (that sure is service !!)

They will send me a plan on Monday.
They call it a BBH (Boxer Bass Horn).

Have up to 16 flares so I am trying to figure out what I can do with them in 2011.
Flares like this you do not see quite often these days ????

Hi Marc-

The Boxer Bass Horn, IIRC, was a dual 18" driver horn.  The horn in the pic looks like half of one, perhaps a single 15" driver version that I somehow missed...  The full-sized BBH were very efficient and went reasonably low in singles and nicely low (mid 30's, IIRC) in multiples.  One installation was Billy Bob's in Fort Worth, TX.

At the time the Boxer series was quite the thing.

As for what to do with the model you have, I suggest building the box and loading it up.  It would make a great LF section under the RS models you mention.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:56:37 AM »

If you need a bit of bass out doors, these will do it if you pile a bunch of them up together. I used to use 4 per side of the double 18 boxers years ago and they flat-out kicked.

I also had an installation in a college football stadium that used those single 15 boxer flares for the low section of a 2-way system. iirc, we used 8 of them for the whole install. Granted, that was in the days before they played metal or hip-hop at every timeout. It was a voice annouce PA.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »

All,

Marc,

That horn flare is a VB790. You could use a 15" or 18". With the 18 you can get down to 40Hz, and 45Hz with a 15. Part of the technique was to block off part of the port for different tunings and drivers.  Flare rate 70Hz. Suggest you use a reasonably steep high pass. This is not a sub woofer design, but works really well for BASS. With a 400 watt JBL of the time, we easily got 130+ out of the box, which was not bad for either the time or the size of the box. The factory box outside dimensions were 32.75"high, 25.5"wide, 24" deep. Before you make the box, check that the driver does not foul the back panel. The older ferrite drivers from JBL, TAD etc had a compact frame. Newer drivers are somewhat deeper.

Rave people would love them for the bass section!

Iain. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

If you need a bit of bass out doors, these will do it if you pile a bunch of them up together. I used to use 4 per side of the double 18 boxers years ago and they flat-out kicked.

I also had an installation in a college football stadium that used those single 15 boxer flares for the low section of a 2-way system. iirc, we used 8 of them for the whole install. Granted, that was in the days before they played metal or hip-hop at every timeout. It was a voice annouce PA.

I should also say, the stadium PA used Altec 515's on these flares. Crossed over to a whole gaggle of Altec 290 horn drivers on some mighty huge horns. Crossed over around 500.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.