ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling system via wireless/laptop  (Read 3925 times)

James Hicks

Controlling system via wireless/laptop
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »

Our company installed a system a year ago in a high school band hall. The system uses a Nexia DSP with a Xantech remote control system. The remote for the Xantech, model XTR39, has proven to be very unreliable. The customer would like to ditch the Xantech, and control things via wireless laptop/iPad. Is there a resource that gives you a step-by-step on how to achieve this?

I apologize for not having specific model numbers for the components involved at the moment. The person who spec'ed the job is no longer working for us. I can get them if necessary.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Controlling system via wireless/laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »

Our company installed a system a year ago in a high school band hall. The system uses a Nexia DSP with a Xantech remote control system. The remote for the Xantech, model XTR39, has proven to be very unreliable. The customer would like to ditch the Xantech, and control things via wireless laptop/iPad. Is there a resource that gives you a step-by-step on how to achieve this?
What are you trying to control, as in what functionality?  Biamp recently released an iOS app for the dialer functionality for a conferencing system but I don't think they offer a general remote control app.  You could connect a laptop running the Nexia programming software to the unit via a wireless network, however that is not going to be a 'user friendly' interface.  Unless Biamp introduces a remote control app and that can be programmed to support the desired functionality and controls, you might have to use an AMX or Crestron type control system that supports remote control apps and  that also has the ability to control the Nexia.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »

I apologize for not having specific model numbers for the components involved at the moment. The person who spec'ed the job is no longer working for us. I can get them if necessary.

Biamp offers a remote-control program that runs on a PC, however you will require your installer (or another installer) to design the interface for you, as it interacts with the DSP via network.  The program is called 'DaVinci', and must be installed on the computer.  The DSP must then be properly networked, of course.
That being said, there's more to your system than the Nexia and the Xantech unit, as there is no way for that unit to interface directly with the Nexia.  Whatever the mystery box is, it may offer more options.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

Biamp offers a remote-control program that runs on a PC, however you will require your installer (or another installer) to design the interface for you, as it interacts with the DSP via network.  The program is called 'DaVinci', and must be installed on the computer.  The DSP must then be properly networked, of course.
I forgot about daVinci.  daVinci runs on XP Pro or Vista and can provide a more user friendly interface to just the controls of the Nexia that you decide need to be accessed.  However, the Nexia faces that same challenge with remote control of any 'drag and drop' or open architecture type processor in that since the routing and processing is completely user defined then any effective remote user interface has to be custom programmed/created to reflect the DSP programming defined.  It's sort of the difference between being given the tools to create an interface versus being provided an interface, since what is being controlled is undefined all they can provide is the tools rather than a preconfigured interface.

This is also why the question asked may not be as simple as it seems as we have no idea of what control is possible or desired.

That being said, there's more to your system than the Nexia and the Xantech unit, as there is no way for that unit to interface directly with the Nexia.  Whatever the mystery box is, it may offer more options.
Xantech offers touch panels, controllers, serial interfaces, etc.  Depending on the actual control and feedback involved, you might be able to handle it with a Xantech system.

James Hicks

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently on my way to the school where the equipment is installed now to see exactly what we're looking at. What I do know is the Xantech XTR-39 remote, when working correctly, could control volume settings as well as start/stop  cd player/recorders, etc.

I hope to have more info after this trip. Again, thanks for your help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.