ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower end digital consoles  (Read 18505 times)

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
Re: Lower end digital consoles
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »

It's the most analog of any digital board I've ever seen, yet it's entirely virtual unless you connect a physical control surface.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »

Look into SAC then.  All the groups, auxes, VCA's and monitor mixes you'd likely ever want.  Of course in SAC world, auxes are primarily for effects because a monitor mix is just built with another full featured mix layer with its own sets of auxes and subgroups.  It's the most analog of any digital board I've ever seen, yet it's entirely virtual unless you connect a physical control surface.

No thanks, if I see that set up when walking into a venue it will promptly be tossed into the dumpster out back as I call in an order for a real console.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »

No thanks, if I see that set up when walking into a venue it will promptly be tossed into the dumpster out back as I call in an order for a real console.

Wow.
I guess my only hope is that if you come into my venue you will see that it has everything a real console has and therefor not notice that it is made partially by SAC.

I will keep it and continue enjoying it.

Choices are good.

Frank
Not to Code

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:01 PM »

Frank,

The SAC has no control surface and is therefore unacceptable in any pro context. If you can get it to work as your console on your rig that only you mix on, great, but don't let that deceive you into thinking it's an "alternative" to anything.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »

Frank,

The SAC has no control surface and is therefore unacceptable in any pro context. If you can get it to work as your console on your rig that only you mix on, great, but don't let that deceive you into thinking it's an "alternative" to anything.

I don't think I could use it with no control surface.  It will support from zero to 32 faders, of course with mute, solo, select, eq, and other functions,

I run it with 16 faders, plus two 20 inch wide screens displaying fader setting, EQ and meters for all ins and outs.

There are a team of us using it,  We all are very pleased.

It is not an "alternative" it is our preferred desk.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:47:55 PM by Frank DeWitt »
Not to Code

Kent Thompson

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »

I have used exactly one Group channel since we went digital and now I don't even need that since I do not need the matrix feed anymore. Everything that use to use groups now uses DCAs.

Michael John

• Eclipse Audio
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »

Whist the original question didn't directly ask this, one could interpret it as "why don't current low end digital consoles have dedicated group faders, like many analog boards."

I frequently use a LS9-32 and don't mind but it would be nice to have a separate bank of assignable faders for group level, reverb return etc.

I know the LS9 faders themselves can be reassigned but at the cost of losing a channel fader (for a given layer).

Michael

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »

Whist the original question didn't directly ask this, one could interpret it as "why don't current low end digital consoles have dedicated group faders, like many analog boards."

Because "low end" really just means low cost.  According to my "theory of electronic manufacturing economics", the real cost of a product is determined by what sticks through the chassis, from the inside to the outside.  Whatever is inside (circuit boards and ICs) is relatively inexpensive compared to the faders, switches, pots, and connectors that interface with the operator and the rest of the outside world.  Somebody like JR, who has actually made decisions on the design of mass produced gear, can confirm (or deny) my theory.

This should give digital products quite a competitive advantage over similar analog ones, once the R&D is out of the way.  Certainly, we've seen that happen with keyboards.

Faders, particularly motorized ones are expensive, so only the "higher end" products will have dedicated ones for each function.  And doesn't the LS9 have master faders for the auxes and matrices on the Master layer?  You can certainly map the FX returns to the second layer if you're not using them all as inputs.

GTD

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »

Any of you guys played with the behringer x32 ??

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.