ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy Chauvet Intimidator 1.0  (Read 3823 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Noisy Chauvet Intimidator 1.0
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »

One of my movers has got a noisy step motor on it.  I know it's not the fan.  the fixture is quiet while it goes through it's orientation cycle and then gets noisy right when it goes into ready to use mode.  It makes a squeeky metal wheel sound regardless if the moving assembly is moving or stationary.  A little pressure with an eraser tip on a pencil or a finger on the moving assembly will dampen the vibration and quiet the noise, but once it's removed the noise is back.  I don't want to just hose it down with WD40.  At least not yet.  Besides, I don't think it's the exterior motor causing the noise.  Honestly when the music is going, who cares?  But I see it as a sign of eventual failure and would like to correct it.  Any suggestion from the more knowledgable around here?  Thanks!
This space for rent

James Feenstra

Re: Noisy Chauvet Intimidator 1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »

a good place to start would be replacing the motor...

if that doesn't solve your problem, it's possible that the bearing is going in whatever that motor is controlling (unlikely if it doesn't make the noise when stationary)

could also be a loose post screw on whatever attached to the stepper motor

does the fixture function properly aside from the noise?

how do you know it's not the fan(s)? that's the only thing that's really moving on the fixture when it's at rest, and it generally speeds up post reset cycle when the bulb is struck.

I'm not entirely familiar with the intimidator 1.0s, although I've taken apart quite a few other moving lights :)
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »

could also be a loose post screw on whatever attached to the stepper motor

does the fixture function properly aside from the noise?

how do you know it's not the fan(s)? that's the only thing that's really moving on the fixture when it's at rest, and it generally speeds up post reset cycle when the bulb is struck.

A mirror is attached to the end of the mover.  I used a set of them this weekend and they're all a little noiser than I remembered.  This one is louer though.  It appears to be vibrating the mirror causing it to make sound.  If a touch it or put gum or putty on the mirror it dampens it and doesn't make the same sound.  Wierd.  They work fine aside from the noise.  I disconnected the fan (for a very short time!) when I was cleaning and changng the bulb, so I know that's not the problem.  I think it's probably fine.  It was just really loud on my work bench with no audio system masking it.
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.