ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identify this pole mount?  (Read 5712 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Identify this pole mount?
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »

Can anyone identify this pole mount holding a Community R2 speaker?

Apparently one has failed somehow at a local high school baseball field (the safety cable kept it from falling), and they are asking for details on this mount.

I'm guessing that this may be an older model of Allen Product's PoleStar series.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Re: Identify this pole mount?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »

Never mind, I have found that it is part of the PoleStar family.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Mark Mattocks

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:45 AM »

Failed how? I have several of these in past projects and would like to know what you find.

Thank you,
Mark

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »

Failed how? I have several of these in past projects and would like to know what you find.

Thank you,
Mark

Apparently the horizontal member suffered metal fatigue (vibration?) where the the bolt holds the speaker bracket.  That is, the tip snapped off.  Again, safety cable saved the day.  They sent school maintenance guys up to drill another hole farther back and remount the speaker. 

This installation is perhaps 8 or 9 years old.

The school district said they are inspecting the other speaker mounts for problems.

I'm only involved because they asked me if I could find spec sheet for the failed part.  I did, but specs don't list the wall thickness of the square tubing.

I noticed that Allen makes a PoleStar mount specifically for the R2 speaker, which was not used here.  I do not know if that mount was available back then.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:37:44 AM »

Thank you,
Mark

Apparently the horizontal member suffered metal fatigue (vibration?) where the the bolt holds the speaker bracket.  That is, the tip snapped off.  Again, safety cable saved the day.  They sent school maintenance guys up to drill another hole farther back and remount the speaker. 

This installation is perhaps 8 or 9 years old.

The school district said they are inspecting the other speaker mounts for problems.

I'm only involved because they asked me if I could find spec sheet for the failed part.  I did, but specs don't list the wall thickness of the square tubing.

I noticed that Allen makes a PoleStar mount specifically for the R2 speaker, which was not used here.  I do not know if that mount was available back then.

As a rule of thumb, I try to mount the speaker bracket on top of the fixed bracket attached to the pole, this way there is no weight on the bolt holding the speaker and a 2"x2" piece of steel would have to fail before it would fall.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:37:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.