ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for secure mixing board desk build plans  (Read 14694 times)

PAULBORDON

Looking for secure mixing board desk build plans
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:10 AM »

I was planning on building a securable stand-alone mixing board desk at a church that can hold two people, rack, and mackie 32-8 meter bridge size mixer.  I am comfortable building it myself but I was wondering if anyone ever saw a DIY Drawing out there for a lockable desk.
I have seen the  commercial ones out there but have always been unhappy with their size (one chair) and  price (wow).
Paul Bordon

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: Looking for secure mixing board desk build plans
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:09:12 PM »

Not mine, just one I found on the web and saved.
http://www.unityway.com/tech/index_files/Page351.htm
Not to Code

PAULBORDON

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »

Not mine, just one I found on the web

Thanks Frank, It is a perfect jumping off point!
BTW My Great Grand Fathers name was Rev. Frank Dewitt Talmadge, his dad was Rev. Tom Dewitt Talmadge... fairly big in the late 18's- early 1900's
The internet has made the world just a little smaller...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:24:14 AM by PAULBORDON »
Paul Bordon

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »

I'll let you find plans, but the one piece of advice I'll give is to make that desk significantly bigger in ever dimension than you think you need.  What good will the lockable section be if you replace your mixing board 5 years from now and the new one doesn't fit?  When I faced that situation, I simply removed the lockable roll-top and made a snap-on canvas dust cover.  Sure, people can mess with the board if they want, but I've found that out of sight is indeed out of mind and never had a problem.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »

...What good will the lockable section be if you replace your mixing board 5 years from now and the new one doesn't fit?  When I faced that situation, I simply removed the lockable roll-top and made a snap-on canvas dust cover.

A roll-top mixer desk sounds great... until you realize it means that you cannot provide rear access to any of your components with the top open, since the top rolls down behind everything.

Now, if you designed the roll-top so that instead of rolling back, it rolls forward and UNDER the desktop, you might be on to something.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

PAULBORDON

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »

but the one piece of advice I'll give is to make that desk significantly bigger in ever dimension than you think you need. 

Size-done and done!  The church is in a fairly bad neighborhood and while they have an alarm system, response time of 5-10 min, this might slow a robber down long enough for the copper's to arrive and thus keep the equipment. If nothing else it will stop the stupid, most thieves are... at least the ones in this neighborhood.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:30:51 AM by PAULBORDON »
Paul Bordon

si_bonie

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »

I was planning on building a securable stand-alone mixing board desk at a church that can hold two people, rack, and mackie 32-8 meter bridge size mixer.  I am comfortable building it myself but I was wondering if anyone ever saw a DIY Drawing out there for a lockable desk.
I have seen the  commercial ones out there but have always been unhappy with their size (one chair) and  price (wow).

Hi..this is my design for our church in Jakarta..Indonesia

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »

A roll-top mixer desk sounds great... until you realize it means that you cannot provide rear access to any of your components with the top open, since the top rolls down behind everything.

Now, if you designed the roll-top so that instead of rolling back, it rolls forward and UNDER the desktop, you might be on to something.

J J .........

You missed it, bro.

"I simply removed the lockable roll-top and made a snap-on canvas dust cover."

Read twice, reply once........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.