ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the biggest aggravation you have in running sound for bands in a club....  (Read 12695 times)

Rob Gow

Guitarists whose tone is waaaaay over-processed. Too much chorus etc etc, the sound disappears in the mix, and ends up being way too loud, when bringing up solos.

Singers that don't sing loud enough, thereby causing u to have your gain up closer to feedback level, then they always want more monitor, and more monitor.

SING DAMMIT.

:(

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound

.....or the clubs who change from restaurant to night club, and won't allow load in until 9:30 (so as to not disturb the dinner crowd) and expect a 10PM start. (That's with a 5 -piece band and full PA)

been there >:(

Garry W
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound

Band members that arrive 5 minutes before they are suppose to play in "supestar" mode, when sound check is scheduled to start an hour or so before showtime and then try to get you to adjust their monitor mix through gestures or hand signals that don't make any sense.
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA

Other than excessive stage volume? 

For me, one huge irritation stems from guitar amps with multiple 'channels' on them, each with separate tone/gain/volume/distortion controls from the rest, which makes trying to EQ what a mike picks up a frustrating nightmare.  One minute the tone will be full and decent, the next an ice pick with no lower mids, then the player hits a distortion switch and the volume drops 8 dB and his part vanishes from the mix....you get the idea....   >:(

I also would like to know how others here deal with this problem, and the others that will be described by those that post on this thread....thanks!
How bout SPORTS BARS with flat screens everywhere and no one gives a dam about the
band...Or the drunken idiots who stand next to you yelling in your ear asking you about EVERYTHING.
The clubs not setup for bands.   Oh how bout those real narrow skinny stages with a freeken a railing going across the length of them?  How bout the clubs with no power for the band?  Say two outlets
on stage?  How bout the clubs where the snake gets totally sogged in beer and crud? Sheesh im having flashbacks here! 

Dave Bednarski

yup, that would be worse than loading in while people are eating! One of my bands got a call at 10pm from a club that wanted them to play THAT NIGHT!!!!! Some of the club managers don't have a clue!

yeah, pretty sure our band manager/drummer would have no problem taking the 10PM gig with a 930 load in... cuss it only takes 15 minutes to setup his stuff.  #dontgetmestarted

David Parker

yeah, pretty sure our band manager/drummer would have no problem taking the 10PM gig with a 930 load in... cuss it only takes 15 minutes to setup his stuff.  #dontgetmestarted

they were at home when they got the call AT 10pm to play THAT night! Would have taken an hour to get everyone there, and another hour to get set up, whew!

cliff truesdell

One thing that comes to mind that bugs the crud out of me is bands that show up with broken parts to whatever there using.
Example, one show a drummer showed up with a completely torn Reso head on the kick drum. Boy did that sound like crap. Another is Mr. guitar hero with a cable all wrapped up in duct tape that keeps cutting in and out.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB

My recent common nag is the clubs with a lovely outside UNCOVERED deck in which they seasonally preffer to host live entertainment. When the weather man tells us there is severe T-storm warning but the club mgmt tells me they don't think its gonna rain, or it's only 50% chance of percip.... 
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall

In my club it's bands being late making me wait around for hours and screwing up the production schedule for the other acts probably.

The hardest is multiple acts with complicated and different setups, input list and light packages that nobody advanced on the same bill. I have to bust my nuts getting the show built in 3hrs when I need and could have budgeted 5. Nobody ever considers the other acts on the bill and the show production as a whole. Or the fact that bands are late 70% of the time. You do your best to advance and get the info you need if you see one coming but some people are just clueless or unresponsive. It's better now that we have more stage space, a production area and a 52 channel desk. Doesn't make more hours in the day though. 

On the road it's clubs without enough working gear to get the show done.
If you don't have enough gear for a 12 channel show you should take the words "Music Hall" off your sign.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Spenser Hamilton

Adding to my first post: Power tripping bouncers, I swear they're out to get me lately. I'm happily booking more theatre jobs which is great because I've pass off a few club owners lately on account of their staff, theatre is much quieter too :)
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.