ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SC48 shuts down before show.  (Read 14149 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Isolation transformer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »

The facts are this.. an isolation transformer will give you a clean sine wave but is will NOT stop sags and surges and spikes etc.. I am talking about just the transformer itself.  An isolation transformer setup with surge proctection
is really GREAT for you electronic gear.   I run all my low voltage stuff on an isolation transformer with surge protection
and run the amplifiers straight off the line voltage.   Years ago I remember talking to the FOH guy with Marshall Tucker Band and he turned me on to the Isolation transfomer thing.   If you have digital gear you want to really look into this.
I took a tour years ago in college with Best Power who made UPS units for nuclear power plants.  They had a system setup to look at the grid over the U.S. and you would NOT believe the phase reversals and sags and surges on your
AC lines..The power conditon is worse then you can imagine in the U.S.   This company had a class they gave to us on using Isolation transformers and surge protection.   If anyone tells you that you dont need Isolation and AC conditoning
they are full of crap..

The isolation transformers being discussed here are audio isolation transformers, not AC transformers. Varying voltage is sorta what audio actually is in the electrical realm.

Mac

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: Isolation transformer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »

Connecting to the outside world via optic fibre will protect against absolutely everything.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »

Connecting to the outside world via optic fibre will protect against absolutely everything.

Or ADAT!

Wow! Absolutely Brilliant! As a first thought. A pair of simple and cheap behringer ADA8000 should do the trick. But i dont know how they would operate in stand alone mode.

What would you recomend ?

Regards,
Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »

Update :

Great show tonight with the SC48 and no issues!

The vendor has been told that a high voltage DC current fed the channel in question. I am yet to understand this.

Regards,
Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »

Update :

Great show tonight with the SC48 and no issues!

The vendor has been told that a high voltage DC current fed the channel in question. I am yet to understand this.

Regards,
Sidhu

Clear Com call signal voltage?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

Clear Com call signal voltage?

No coms that I was aware of in the Video world. Would it possible for a similar results if someone plugged the cable directly into a camera ?
My RTA is always flat.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »

No coms that I was aware of in the Video world. Would it possible for a similar results if someone plugged the cable directly into a camera ?

Certainly there is voltage available at the camera. The camera can supply power to microphones that need it, although I would expect phantom power to not hurt the console. If the camera can supply T power, that would be more likely to cause damage, but T power is pretty rare.

What exactly were the outputs on the damaged card patched to?

Mac

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »

Certainly there is voltage available at the camera. The camera can supply power to microphones that need it, although I would expect phantom power to not hurt the console. If the camera can supply T power, that would be more likely to cause damage, but T power is pretty rare.

What exactly were the outputs on the damaged card patched to?

Mac

Sheldon states that 48v will not damage the output card as they are protected against minor votages.

I dont know what T power is ?

I did not verify on site.
The crew I was working with (my crew for all i am concerned, I work exclusively with them in my town, and trust them not to lie to me) state that the outputs, 11 & 12 went into the video mixer, where they ensured phantom was not enabled. These ppl have taken onus of follies much greater significance in previous times.

So unless the video guys decided to repatch one output direct to the camera, Very possible. But...

It is also possible they repatched into a splitter or something of the sort. They dont say.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.