ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Console with remote access for monitors  (Read 7606 times)

Ben Brunskill

Digital Console with remote access for monitors
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »

Hi guys.

We're looking at upgrading our console, and at the same time, taking the pressure off the FOH having to mix IEM's. I'm not really a fan of Aviom, and budget and personnel won't stretch to a full split and separate monitor console.

So I was looking at some options, like a LS-9 with Yamaha StageMix on an iPad. The iPad would stay on stage under the control of the MD, who is a good sound tech.
He would mix the IEM's for musicians, and the FOH would mix wedges.

But after reading a bit more, I realized that StageMix physically controls the LS9 surface.
So the MD and the FOH would be fighting each other to use the desk - I can't see that working!

Are there other consoles that would allow the auxes to be remote controlled without clashing with the main surface?

We need in a console - 32 inputs, 16 aux + Stereo matrix out & L/R.
Must be easy to use and have good EQ and dynamics.

Would love your input!

Chan Xiang Ju

• XJ Audio and Visual Productions
Re: Digital Console with remote access for monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »

I think A&H came out with a ipad app for i-live? maybe that might work? I havent use that app b4 so can't comment much.

Hi guys.

We're looking at upgrading our console, and at the same time, taking the pressure off the FOH having to mix IEM's. I'm not really a fan of Aviom, and budget and personnel won't stretch to a full split and separate monitor console.

So I was looking at some options, like a LS-9 with Yamaha StageMix on an iPad. The iPad would stay on stage under the control of the MD, who is a good sound tech.

But after reading a bit more, I realized that StageMix physically controls the LS9 surface.
So the MD and the FOH would be fighting each other to use the desk - I can't see that working!

Are there other consoles that would allow the auxes to be remote controlled without clashing with the main surface?

Would love your input!

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »

While the LS9 and Stage Mix DOES control the actual console, if your using it for monitor mixing applications, i.e mixing the aux sends from stage, then you shouldn't have too much problem with things clashing!

Or... You can softpatch all your inputs down to the second layer and use one layer for FOH and one for MONs...

I suppose in the end it depends just how independent you want each of the consoles to be. Using stagemix, all your really sharing is HA and EQ. Obviously the best option is a hard split and two consoles, but I figure this won't be in the budget.

I can speak for myself where I've used Yamaha digital gear with the different stagemix's as monitor consoles and have never had an issue with 'sharing' a console with FOH. Except when I want to get cheeky and bug the FOH guy by wiggling an un-used fader, so he got cheeky and unplugged my wireless router...

Fun and games! :-)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »

Hi guys.

Would love your input!

The SAC (Software Audio Console) will do what you are asking.  You can have a separate mixer with console for the IEMs and it can be anything from a tablet PC to a full control surface with motorized faders.
Not to Code

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »

While the LS9 and Stage Mix DOES control the actual console, if your using it for monitor mixing applications, i.e mixing the aux sends from stage, then you shouldn't have too much problem with things clashing!

Or... You can softpatch all your inputs down to the second layer and use one layer for FOH and one for MONs...

But if the ipad/MONS guy want to use sends on faders, then obviously it's going to clash, right? Even if the MONS guy selects Ch.1 Kick to manually mix that to auxes, won't the screen on the desk follow?

Not sure what you mean about soft patching - I know how to do it, but how would it help in this situation? The MON and FOH would still both be trying to use the same faders, right?

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »

Hi guys.

Would love your input!

I have run monitors with IPad from the stage on my LS9-16 and it worked great.
Assuming you're only tweaking volumes once you're rolling, you shouldn't have any problems.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:07:10 PM »

But if the ipad/MONS guy want to use sends on faders, then obviously it's going to clash, right? Even if the MONS guy selects Ch.1 Kick to manually mix that to auxes, won't the screen on the desk follow?

Not sure what you mean about soft patching - I know how to do it, but how would it help in this situation? The MON and FOH would still both be trying to use the same faders, right?

When you select sends on fader on the IPadand then select, say, aux 5 to setup the keyboard player's mix, the LS9 does not mover the faders to the aux 5 sends on fader position.  Hope this makes sense.  I know what I'm trying to say!

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »

When you select sends on fader on the IPadand then select, say, aux 5 to setup the keyboard player's mix, the LS9 does not mover the faders to the aux 5 sends on fader position.  Hope this makes sense.  I know what I'm trying to say!

Ah, that does make sense! if it does work like that, then that would work really well.
Plus of course while not being the latest thing out, LS9's are reliable and pretty rider friendly (smaller acts)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:59:16 AM »

Hi guys.

Would love your input!

Use an LS-9 with Studio Manager. I've done several shows where a Yamaha console is used for FOH and our monitor engineer runs monitors from Studio Manger. If you want Sends on Fader for Studio Manger, visit my link.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »

Hi guys.

Would love your input!

Spend money on people, not technology.  If you can afford 6 iPads, you can afford to pay technicians.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.